close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have you found your SD ammo unreliable?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ConcealedG23, Jun 15, 2012.

1. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

I have read on a number of boards, GT included, that people run a certain amount of SD ammo through their CC gun before they will consider the round fit for carry. The number of shells that people deem appropriate always seems to vary quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone has ever actually had a problem with certain round they had intended on carrying? Every once in a while I hear about people changing SD ammo but never because it failed in their weapon. It is always due to some FBI decision or this or that PD switched to it. I know people will always want to test out their ammo to gain some level of assurance with it but, there is some part of me that thinks it is all pretty nonsensical. I'm interested in hearing other's stories regarding this.

D

2. evenodds20

evenodds20 Ask me tomorrow

other people go and spend numerous amounts of money on high quality self defense ammo and take it to the range and plink with it. then and only then will they "deem" it fit for self defense carry. I think if there were any real issues with it, i highly doubt it would be me that finds the flaw that takes all the ammo off the shelf. with all the guys taking this ammo out and putting it down range, i can go off of statistical numbers other peoples range reports and save myself hundreds of dollars in ammo and wasted time.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

3. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

It's always good to shoot your carry ammo to see how it performs with your personal firearm. Many firearms can favor one ammo over another, especially accuracy wise.
    For example, I shoot my defensive ammo at 25 yards and my Full Size M&P 9mm would shoot a 5" 5 round groups with PDX 147gr and a 3" 5 round group with 124gr Ranger-T +P standing unsupported. Obviously I'm going with the Ranger-T above.

4. fortheboys

fortheboys

I have never had a problem with factory ammo in any of my Glocks but I still make sure that the round I carry for SD, does in fact cycle reliably in my off/on duty carry weapon. Just imagine the feeling you would have (pucker factor) if you did have to use your weapon to defend yourself or someone else (family) and your weapon did not cycle your chosen round reliably. The cost of making sure your gun feeds the round without a problem vs the cost if it doesn't, seems miniscule. I feel comfortable if my gun will cycle the ammo after about 100 rounds with several different magazines. Magazines also need to be tested in my opinion.

Good luck

5. JBP55

JBP55

No, I only use Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T and they all work great in my pistols.

6. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

OK. So you're also looking for a round that you can be most accurate with. I'm not brand new to this but I've never heard anyone test new SD ammo for accuracy. The only thing I've every heard people mention is the buzz word, reliability. Sounds fair enough to me.

D

7. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Tried a box at paper, works.

Never had to use it in self defense, so I guess I don't know performance in that critical few seconds.

8. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

I think this is more of an issue with larger calibers like .45.

9mm don't generally have a steep enough ramp to make JHPs feed incorrectly.

9. GTS197

GTS197

I run GDHP and SXT in my .45 pistols.

I've shot enough of it during quals, and at the range, to feel comfortable with it for SD in my off duty piece.

10. Little Joe

Little Joe

I've shot plenty of Ranger Ts, Gold Dots, HSTs, and Cor-Bon DPX through my Glocks and they have all functioned flawlessly.

If you want to be sure you've done all you can, you can take out the barrel and drop in each of the carry/home defense rounds that you are going to load into your mags and see that they all fit in the barrel and are in proper round. You can also weigh each round and make sure they are all very close in weight to each other. A round that might have missed a powder drop would show up obviously lighter.

Most people are too lazy for that, but if you really want to do all you can to be sure you've done all you can that's something you can do.

11. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

This is largely along the lines the I take. I do appreciate other peoples take on the matter though.

D

12. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

CorBon DPX, GDHP, and Ranger T series all work great in my guns.

13. Bello

Bello America/Italia

I have no problems I roll my own! 165 grain Speer GDHP over 6.8 grns of WSF

14. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

A point of clarification:
    I'm not looking to see what people carry in their weapons or what people feel comfortable with, I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with their carry ammo.

From the limited number of replies, the only thing mentioned is better accuracy. One person also noted the geometric differences between a .45 and smaller calibers and the discrepancy in feed angle. I've heard the theory but never heard of someone having problems with one particular brand and having to switch to another. Anecdotally, it looks like if one were to pick a SD round that is marketed as a premier round by one of a number of ammo manufactures that have been around for years and years, reliability is essentially a non-issue.

D

15. L Pete

L Pete

In these modern times, ammo reliability is quite good, but in olden days of thirty or forty years ago, it was not so good with anything but ball ammo. Hence, it became the practice to check one's HP or SP ammo in an autoloader to make sure it would feed reliably feed, cycle the slide, and eject normally. A lot of times, this did not occur with the chosen ammo. I remember trying the then new Super Vel ammo in a Colt 1911 to check the reliability of said ammo, and after doing so, it was apparent that work would have to be done to the feed ramp of the 1911. It was near impossible to find a gunsmith that was capable of reworking the feed ramp, without sending the 1911 to what seemed like the other side of the world. I was really disappointed when by partner's 1911 would feed the Super Vel without any problems, what-so-ever. With all that being said, I continued to carry 230 gr. ball, while my partner carried the Super Vel. This sounds really bad for me, but one has to remember that the standard load was a 158 gr LRN in a .38 Special. I didn't feel too much at a disadvantage.

With today's guns and ammo, just about all the problems have been eliminated, but one still needs to feel comfortable with the ammo in their gun to know that it will feed, fire, and eject reliably. With my guns that I carry, I fire lots of ball ammo for practice, but, and that's a BIG "but", I still fire my SD rounds to check for reliability and to spend the rounds and reload fresh ammo on a periodic basis.

16. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

I have never had a problem with quality SD ammo--even some that I've had in storage for 20 years.

I did do an oil infiltration test a while ago, and was able to cause ammo failure using an excess of Weaponshield.

17. USCgrad

USCgrad

I have had a couple of FTF using Hornady Critical Defense in a glock 26 and have since stopped using it in my carry guns..not entirely sure why but didn't feel as comfortable as i once did using it....

18. barth

barth six barrels

I was unpleasantly surprised by major nose dives issues with Speer GDHP 357 Sig.
    Using a new chamber support OEM G33 barrel in my otherwise factory stock G27.
    Using new G33 mags with #2 followers.
    My Sig Sauer P239/357 eat the same ammo out of the same box like candy.

My Glock would run fine with Federal Tactical JHP.

And when I switched to a 4.16" ported Storm Lake barrel
    the G27 blasted through two boxes of the stuff flawlessly.

I don't care how good the ammo is.
    Or how reliable the gun has been.
    Carrying an SD gun with unproven ammo is playing Russian Roulette with your life.

Better to get mad at the range, than get dead on the street.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  19. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

This has pretty much been my hunch all along. With modern manufacturing processes and design, ammo that is made to save lives, will fail on a very very very rare occasion. The same can not be said of ammo of the past. Thanks for the informative post.

D

20. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

Interesting. Thanks for the post.

D