close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have you ever hit your pet dog or cat?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

A few months ago my cat went postal for no reason and bit me on my lip. Lots of blood. I immediately bopped her pretty hard on her nose, as a reaction.

Ever since then she has stopped trying to nip me in the mornings to wake me up and has been the perfect sweet thing.

I don't advocate it but in this case it seemed effective...

What's your story?

2. token5gtd

token5gtd

asserting dominance is not abuse, long as you're not trying to knock them out.

she deserved it, had you been another cat she could've gotten a nasty bite or scratch herself... she should consider herself lucky.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

3. steve581581

steve581581

When i got my male he was very abused and defensive/aggressive. It took quite a few swats to straighten him up but now hes the best dog I've ever had?

4. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Cat sex is brutal.

5. Mrs. G26Duck

Mrs. G26Duck

My shih tzu will not snap at me because I have spanked her when she acted out, (snapped, tried to bite, ran away when she got out of the front of the house, etc...) but she will chomp on the husband and son who haven't asserted dominance. Guess she knows who the bigger b#*** is. I can remove contraband from her mouth safely, the hubby comes out bloody.

6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I use verbal, Then if the dog does not behave for that I hit him with my hat. (or a glove) The chance to hit too hard with hand....

7. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

luckily i have never had to, as my dog was a previously trained rescue..but i agree with a previous poster, sometimes you have to show them who is in charge, epsecially with dogs. I love dogs, but, especially with some breeds, you have to show them is "top dog"(dog's instinct is to run in pacts and earn dominance). Some dogs, whoes breed is bred to be aggresive, have to be shown who is the dominant one. May not be pretty, but its the only way for them to be a good companion.

8. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

I have never hit the cat on purpose...I have accidentally a few times.

9. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I don't know much about cats but I know a lot about dogs.

If a dog is injuring you, you do what you have to do. If a dog needs discipline, hitting them is not a good idea, especially if you are "spanking" them on the hindquarters.

You can really injure a dog hitting them there. Younger ones are more susceptible to "spanking" injuries. We have a 9 year old rescue that has back and hip problems from being hit when she was a puppy.

Equally effective and more humane is grabbing the dog by the scruff of the neck. If they don't settle, then continue that grip on the scruff and put them down on the floor and hold them there until they submit. Once they do, praise them and let them up.

Since our biggest dog is less than 70 pounds and I'm about 200, it's pretty easy for me to do that. My wife is about 125 pounds but I've seen her grab the scruff then transform that into a headlock to get the dog on the floor. It kind of looks like a cowboy bulldogging a calf. She just pins them there until they submit. Then they get praised and let go.

You have to be careful not to push straight down when you tackle them. Dogs are pretty tough but their spines are a weak point. One hand on the scruff and another on a foreleg you can push them over without injuring them.

This is something you do to pets that are getting uppity, not to a dog that is really trying to hurt you. I wouldn't want anyone to be nice to a big, MEAN dog and lose part of their face!

10. ronin.45

ronin.45

I've only hit my dog once for real. I smacked him pretty hard right across the mouth. He bit a friend of mine and I had to let him know that he couldn't do that.

Luckily my friend was ok. Only some minor bleeding thanks to loose jeans. The dog is fine and still loves me. He also hasn't bitten anyone since.

11. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I have a border collie/lab and I'm pretty sure she is smarter than I am. She is very intuitive and the few times she has done something to aggravate me she self corrects before I get to discipline... In the end I feel like an idiot for getting aggravated with her and give her treats, so she wins. I'm confident she perpetuates this cycle when she wants treats.

I wish I had a nice dumb dog some days.

12. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old SoulSoul

Yes, with a 3/4 ton diesel truck. :sad:

13. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

No. I have, however, put him down on his back and held him there. One other time, I grabbed him in "mid nip" and held his head between my hands and cursed him in the worst, gruffest, loudest voice I could and scared the s**t out of him.

I got excellent results. I am, and always will be the ALPHA.

14. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

I smacked my 130 lb malamute today when she decided she needed to knock my caribou rack off the wall. She got swatted on the nose with a shoe when she decided to chew my Doc Martin last week.

Sometimes you need to let them know who's boss. Just how it is.

15. jp3975

jp3975

When I was a kid I did. My cat kept getting on my desk which I didnt like because it left litter and hair. One day i spanked the hell out of it. The cat never got up there again...and you could pick him up and try to set him on the desk and his legs would be moving trying to get away.

Another time my mom's cat bit me and I punched it in the face.

I was around 11-16 for those.

Right now, at times my cats try to go places theyre not supposed to. Like out the door. They know better so they get spankings.

16. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

I had a girlfriend in HS whose cat hated my guts. It used to stalk me, and when I wasn't looking it would charge me, jump up and claw at my face (it wasn't de-clawed). On one occasion, it sweetly sidled up to me and wiped cat poop all over my jeans. It was psychotic. I was not mean to it, and for a while I tried to befriend it (unsuccessfully).

One night, while we were sitting on the couch watching a movie, the cat charged from the top of the steps. It was like a blur streaking down the flight of steps and halfway across the living room, where it left the ground in a powerful leap, claws extended, intending to use my face as a scratching post. Only this time I sat up straight, reached out a hand, and spiked that M*****-********* like a football. :rofl:

It never bothered me again.

17. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Wall training.

18. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

no , fortunately we have well behaved pets

19. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

Oh, heck yeah. When we first got our rescue mutt she was horrible. She was born at the shelter, adopted, and returned before she was four months old. She ate everything she came across, and would go on these tears where she would run around, spin, and bite at us. It didn't happen a lot when I was around, but she had my wife in tears almost every night while I was at work. It'd snap her out of it by socking her on the snout and told my wife to do the same. She finally learned how to act and is an excellent dog.

My other dog is an American Bulldog. Every now and then when playing frisbee he'll decide he doesn't want to let go. A quick slap to the side of the head reminds him. It's nothing that would hurt him, just a "let go" slap.

20. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I'm Cesar Milan. I just snap my fingers and say SHhh..

[​IMG]