Glock Talk banner

Have you ever had too defend yourself with force?

27K views 80 replies 71 participants last post by  Tomcat1977 
#1 ·
I was just curious, how many people have actually had to shoot someone in a self defense situation? Most of the time, the sight of the person and/or gun will have the intruder running or at least cease to be a threat, but has anyone actually had it come to the point of life or death and chose to shoot the intruder? This question is more directed to the average joe and not so much as the LEO's in the line of duty.

*mods* I cant seem to find out how to make the thread a poll, so if there is any way one of you could make the poll with a "yes" and "no" answer selection that would be greatly appreciated :wavey:

#28 ·
About 20 years ago, I stopped over at a friend’s house to pick him up to go to the Bar. I parked my truck on the street and went into his house.

While we were talking I heard glass break. I jumped up to look out the front door and seen two teenagers, one had a ball bat and was just walking down the street breaking car windows. Just as I got to the door, I saw him hit my side window. I ran out the door with my friend behind me and we chased the idiots around the block but they got in their car and took off. I did get the license plate number.

I called the cops, they said they would send over a car. My friend and I went outside to check to see if my window was broken, when the teenagers came back around. The passenger leaned out and took a shot at me.

Luckily, he missed. We told the police what happened when they showed up, and the police captain came by a couple minutes later and motioned to me to come over to his car. He told me that the license plate came back to someone in the neighboring city. I never heard anything after that.

I will always remember the captain had his revolver in his lap while we were talking.:dunno:

#29 ·
Two NVA sappers in 1967 Tuy Hoa, Vietnam. 1911 45 230gr hardball when my Mattel Toy jammed. Shots fired 7 rounds. Range 15 yards. Who said hardball isn't effective?

Philadelphia, Pa three years later.... I was stopped at a traffic light when a guy runs up to my side window yelling "my friend got hit by a car and needs help". So I rolled down my window to ask if I could help out when wham I get sucker punched. So I cussed you SOB and started getting out when my pregnant wife grabbed my arm and clawed me bloody trying to hold me back. I got out but my BHP was in the glove box on the passanger side so I reached behind the front seat and grabbed my two spud wrenches out of my Ironworkers belt bag. I faced him from 15-20 feet away. He had a knife in his hand but when he saw what I had in my hands he turned to run.

I threw the American bridge wrench and it hit him square in the middle of his back to the right of his spine and penetrated about three inches deep into his right lung according to the police report. About six more guys started running towards us from a good enough distance that I was able to jump back in the car (1970 Olds 442) and exit the area quickly. I drove five blocks away and called the police from a corner store.

The police rounded them all up and found out they were the bunch that pulled the same MO on some other people. The dirtbags would trick or drag the guy out of his car, beat him up, steal the car and rape the woman. The cops tracked them all down in no time when we gave them their descriptions. All of them were sent to prison based on our and other victims testimony. Also one of the jerks rolled over on his pals.

Damn I miss that Olds 442.............

#31 ·
Two NVA sappers in 1967 Tuy Hoa, Vietnam. 1911 45 230gr hardball when my Mattel Toy jammed. Shots fired 7 rounds. Range 15 yards. Who said hardball isn't effective?

Philadelphia, Pa three years later.... I was stopped at a traffic light when a guy runs up to my side window yelling "my friend got hit by a car and needs help". So I rolled down my window to ask if I could help out when wham I get sucker punched. So I cussed you SOB and started getting out when my pregnant wife grabbed my arm and clawed me bloody trying to hold me back. I got out but my BHP was in the glove box on the passanger side so I reached behind the front seat and grabbed my two spud wrenches out of my Ironworkers belt bag. I faced him from 15-20 feet away. He had a knife in his hand but when he saw what I had in my hands he turned to run.

I threw the American bridge wrench and it hit him square in the middle of his back to the right of his spine and penetrated about three inches deep into his right lung according to the police report. About six more guys started running towards us from a good enough distance that I was able to jump back in the car (1970 Olds 442) and exit the area quickly. I drove five blocks away and called the police from a corner store.

The police rounded them all up and found out they were the bunch that pulled the same MO on some other people. The dirtbags would trick or drag the guy out of his car, beat him up, steal the car and rape the woman. The cops tracked them all down in no time when we gave them their descriptions. All of them were sent to prison based on our and other victims testimony. Also one of the jerks rolled over on his pals.

Damn I miss that Olds 442.............
WELL DONE, sir. I wish that we had men of such spirit and character running the US Government.

I hope to never have such encounters in MY lifetime.

#32 ·
Howdy,

Yes.........

Last week we had pork chops and that dang dog thought he was gonna get the last one!:steamed:

If it wasn't for my knee not being 100% because of knee replacement, I would have won!:upeyes:

Paul

#33 ·
Yes,12-19-95- used a 18 1/2 mossberg. Sent one to the graveyard & one to the local hospital with 2 rounds of 000 buckshot in his abdomen & after he got out he recived 2-10 in Texas Department of Correction. Hope to GOD that it never happens to me or anyone I know

Reactions: plp
#34 ·
Only once and that was a catalyst to my getting my carry permit.

It was about 8pm on Friday eve. I was 20 years old and heading out to get my date and a good time on the town. I stopped at a local convenience store (actually in a decent neighborhood) to get a pack of smokes. When I came out there was a dude sitting in my car with the door open as his buddy stood next to him.

I was taken off guard and already sort of pissed. As I approached them, the dude sitting in my car commented on how nice it was (1970 302 boss straight body mustang) and proceeded to ask me for the keys. Without a second thought, I slammed the door on his legs and got sucker punched by his buddy. With one ugly screaming in pain (yeah, his leg was broken) the other ugly and I were rolling around getting all bloody with neither one getting the upper hand. Another bystander came out of the store and helped me out with the second bum and the cops (who were called by the store clerk) showed up in about 10 minutes.

There weren't cell phones back then either, so I called my date and told her I would be late. I went back home, cleaned up and was on my way. A subpoena and court date 3 months later and they got some light time and that was that.

Makes me sound like a badass, but it shook me up enough to apply for my permit the same week I turned 21. I had hunted and shot my whole life but never even considered the need to carry. That was 25 years ago.

#38 ·
Lots of war stories from working 4 1/2 years in a maximum security prison, outside of work no...but came close once. In 1999, I was leaving Hard Rock in Atlanta walking toward a parking garage when a homeless guy tried to sell me a newspaper which was clearly marked “Free”. He said he was homeless and attempting to raise money to purchase blankets for the homeless. I kindly told him I was not interested and walked away at which point he begins to follow me, my wife & two year old daughter into the garage. I told my wife to walk ahead of me with my daughter, I pulled quickly my weapon from the holster (.38 snubby) and placed it in my hand and into my jacket pocket while walking toward my vehicle. I don’t know if he ever saw the weapon but he lost interest pretty quickly at this point turned around and disappeared back outside. He might have only followed us 100 feet but I really thought I was going to have to fight him that night.

#39 ·
Yes. 1985.
I was visiting a store owned by a friend. Armed robbed enters, he momentarily turned, leaving me out of his line of sight. I fired 2 357s COM out of a Colt Lawman.
Robber lived, went to prison, don't know how long.
I was detained, charged, released, charges dropped. Cost $3000 for a lawyer, and the Colt was siezed.
Other violent encounters that were met with force, but never with gun fire.

#40 ·
I cant even count the times i have been in a street fight,but as far as pulling my gun and shooting someone it has only happened once.I dont care to elaborate though...

#41 ·
I'm a pretty big guy, so generally I don't have to actually defend myself all that often. Most people see 6'2" 200+lb. bushy eyebrows and ponytail and walk wide around. If I do see someone approaching, looking a bit too eager, I just start reaching for my knife. Generally they catch the hint and turn away by the time I've made eye contact. (Don't have a CCW permit yet. They're rather pricy here and I'm still working on getting one.)

However once about 12 years ago I did actually have to back it up. I had the odd misfortune of picking that one day to not have a knife on me, and two ******* little punks thought they had something to prove. One pulls a knife, and I'd like to say that had he not, it would just be one more brawl, but when you bring a weapon in, I get MEAN.

Thankfully a little combination of martial arts, and good old American fighting dirty dispatched them. I kick knifeboy right straight in the family jewels, twist the knife out of his hand and throw it away, give him a good elbow in the spleen, a chop to the throat, hip toss him on the ground and stomp a few mudholes in him for good measure before his buddy knows what's happening.

The knifeless buddy turned out to be a bit quicker, forcing me to lock him up. Eventually after he breaks out of a chokehold I finally get him on the ground in a full nelson with my knees pinned against his back, leaving him pretty much helpless. As there were no phones, and no one around, I really didn't see a way of getting out of it. Thankfully he started begging, and at the time being a bit more softhearted than I am today, agreed to let him go. ******* troublemakers beat a hasty retreat, I straighten my shirt and calmly continue on my way.

I haven't really had to dirty my knuckles since. Most BGs just don't target a guy like me. Doesn't mean I don't keep my eyes open. Though It's amazing just how many of our stories involve bad guys picking the wrong person to pull a knife on.

#42 ·
In reality I have no recollection of ever shooting and killing someone. My dreams are a different story. Whether my dreams are an extension of real life traumatic events is another matter that I leave for dissociative amnesia experts.:)

#43 ·
Worked at a stop n rob.....some guy got mouthy and I told him to GTFO...he noticed my .357 and said what are you going to do , shoot me...I said you ain't worth the bullet and chased him out with an axe handle.

#46 ·
Wrist lock.
And when working security, force continuum, I had to use pepper spray and stun gun. Had to pull firearm once but suspect dropped knife immediately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.