Glock Talk banner

Have you ever had too defend yourself with force?

27K views 80 replies 71 participants last post by  Tomcat1977 
#1 ·
I was just curious, how many people have actually had to shoot someone in a self defense situation? Most of the time, the sight of the person and/or gun will have the intruder running or at least cease to be a threat, but has anyone actually had it come to the point of life or death and chose to shoot the intruder? This question is more directed to the average joe and not so much as the LEO's in the line of duty.

*mods* I cant seem to find out how to make the thread a poll, so if there is any way one of you could make the poll with a "yes" and "no" answer selection that would be greatly appreciated :wavey:

#4 ·
Not yet, but almost.

A few years ago I chose not to shoot a guy who was 3-4 feet away, with a bottle, coming at me fast.(most here disagreed with my choice. They were not wrong)

I made a snap decision, took my hand off my gun and I took him to the ground and beat the snot out of him.

He hurt me some, but I drove home,(then to a doctor the next day) but the cops took him away in an ambulance.

Cops knew I was carrying and said I should have shot him, no questions asked.

It took more than a year to go to court, he got a year, he gets out in a few weeks.

I wonder if he wants a re-match?

Today with my health the way it is, I'd have to make a different choice.

Hopefully I'll never have to.

#8 ·
had a friend who didnt show up at an outing that was planned, called her and couldnt get ahold of her, went to her house, knocked on her door and she came out and said "leave now or he will hurt me" that wasnt happening as i had her current boyfriend with me. so wanna-be G-unit comes running out acting like a hoodrat should(black guy) got mouthy, swung on me, i swung back and connected, he ran downstairs. i thought it was over, we sat up there and talked to her for a minute telling her to call the cops as he broke into her apartment and waited for her, she wouldnt. so i said screw this im leaving. started walking back to my car when this idiot comes running up the stairs with a 10 inch knife, i didnt even give him an opportunity. 1 shot and the fight was done. i spent 3 hours in jail while the scene was investigated, no charges, but lost the gun for 2 months.

#10 ·
I had a guy pull a gun on me once; fortunately he shoved it up nice and close to me so I was able to take it from him. He suffered minor injury and after unloading the gun I put it into a campfire that was nearby. Stupid thug didn't need it back and I didn't want to be caught with it if the police showed up. They never did show up as far as I know.

Reactions: MO Fugga
#11 ·
I had a drunk jerk open the door of my truck while I was at a stoplight. As soon as he yanked open the door, he said "Give me five dollars for parking here!" As I shoved the 1911 forward toward his face, the barrel hit him square in the forehead... HARD. Hard enough to sit him on his butt in the middle of a city street.

Last I saw of him he was still sitting on his butt looking bewildered while watching me drive away.

Sometimes I wonder if he is still doing freelance parking enforcement.:rofl:

#12 · (Edited)
Closest I ever came to using my G17 defensively was when a pit bull dog leaped out a car's passenger window and came at my throat. As I was looking into his growling wide-open mouth, I managed to get my G17 out and ready, when I noticed that the dog's mouth was kept just far enough away from my throat by the fact that the dog's window was not open enough. That is what saved the dog's life!

#13 ·
had a friend who didnt show up at an outing that was planned, called her and couldnt get ahold of her, went to her house, knocked on her door and she came out and said "leave now or he will hurt me" that wasnt happening as i had her current boyfriend with me. so wanna-be G-unit comes running out acting like a hoodrat should(black guy) got mouthy, swung on me, i swung back and connected, he ran downstairs. i thought it was over, we sat up there and talked to her for a minute telling her to call the cops as he broke into her apartment and waited for her, she wouldnt. so i said screw this im leaving. started walking back to my car when this idiot comes running up the stairs with a 10 inch knife, i didnt even give him an opportunity. 1 shot and the fight was done. i spent 3 hours in jail while the scene was investigated, no charges, but lost the gun for 2 months.
wait..so the dude was killed?

#16 ·
Yes, but not with a gun.
It was many years ago, me and a friend of mine were sleeping over at our girlfriends house, It was my girlfriends house and his girlfriend was staying over that night.
He got up in the middle of the night to get some smokes (did not wake any one to let us know he was going) and got jumped on the way back. He called the house from a pay phone at 7-11 (this was a few years before cell phones) to tell us what happened, I drove down to pick him up but could not find him any where. So I started walking, and was jumped by the same guy that jumped him. Though I faired much better than my friend.
I eventually found him and he was in very bad shape, I took him home (which is what he wanted) and his mother took him to the hospital.

#17 ·
Didn't shoot anyone... didn't even carry back then... but me and a couple of friends were out riding our motorcycles. It was about 1am and we were on our way home when my friend's bike died. We pulled over in a closed for the night gas station. He was sitting down working on his bike, and I was over with the rest of the group, making fun of him having to work on his bike, when this guy walked up and asked my friend for a smoke. My friend said he didn't have anymore, and went back to working. By this time, me and another guy riding with us were already on our feet and moving toward this guy and my friend.

This guy pulled a knife from his pocket, but never made it any farther than a few inches before he was clocked in the head with a helmet. He fell to the ground. We called the cops, and they called rescue. Don't know what happened to the guy, but after we gave our statements, we were free to go and kept working on the bike.

Finally figured out the problem... the fuel filter plugged up. Took it off, bypassed it, and rode home.

Now I carry a G27 in my truck, and as soon as I get my CWP, I will have it on my person. I just need to find a quicker way to access in when in my truck besides having to reach under the back seat and open the box.

#18 ·
Yes..

#19 ·
I was walking to my car on the outskirts of a town in Colombia. Walking through the parking lot, I came across a man holding a woman by the throat, shoved up against a car, and trying to smash her face in.

I grabbed this jerk (He only came up to about my chin), and proceeded to abuse his face a bit, then BANG and a bullet goes right by my head, and the woman laying on the ground with a very bloody face says in Spanish.."leave my husband alone". I swung this guy around to act as a shield, and threw him on top of his wife just a she fired again...heard a groan,,,and just walked away.

Poetic justice I thought...(I was carrying a 38 super, but never pulled it).

#21 ·
About 25 years ago my wife woke me up at about 2am when she heard pieces of glass from our back door dropping on the floor. Pulled my 12 gauge Savage double barreled shotgun (did not have my Walther 40 cal yet) out from under the bed and stood behind a closed door at the end of the hallway and watched the guy unlock our back door through the little broken window. Flipped the safety off and was ready to fire. My son also woke up and walked out in the hall in the line of fire. I flipped the light on and ran towards the door putting my son behind me. The guy breaking in saw me running towards him while aiming both barrels at him. He cut his hand pulling it out the window and while he was jumping our fence I had one chance to shoot and kill him but because he was running away I held my fire and let him run.

Reactions: happyguy
#22 ·
About 25 years ago my wife woke me up at about 2am when she heard pieces of glass from our back door dropping on the floor. Pulled my 12 gauge Savage double barreled shotgun (did not have my Walther 40 cal yet) out from under the bed and stood behind a closed door at the end of the hallway and watched the guy unlock our back door through the little broken window. Flipped the safety off and was ready to fire. My son also woke up and walked out in the hall in the line of fire. I flipped the light on and ran towards the door putting my son behind me. The guy breaking in saw me running towards him while aiming both barrels at him. He cut his hand pulling it out the window and while he was jumping our fence I had one chance to shoot and kill him but because he was running away I held my fire and let him run.
You kept your thinking head on amidst a very frightening situation. I am betting that the intruder would not have run off with a mere handgun facing him. Shotguns work!

#23 ·
I was just curious, how many people have actually had to shoot someone in a self defense situation?
Yes, but not on this side of the big pond! :whistling:

(You knew that was coming too!)

Reactions: happyguy
#24 ·
Once long ago and far away I stupidly held a job as the night manager in a motel in a very bad part of Atlanta (College Park, actually) for six years.

I lost count of the number of times I drew a weapon.

I actually fired a weapon three times.

Once a handgun, and twice a shotgun.

I went to court also three times....all charges dropped...still cost me a fortune in lawyer fees and was not worth it.

DO NOT PULL A TRIGGER UNLESS YOU HAVE ABOUT 10K LYING AROUND YOU CAN SPARE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.