close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Have you ever had a failure that you can really blame on a lube?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Wash-ar15, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

Sep 15, 2007
    one of the most common questions is what kind of lube do people use. there are so many kinds out there so the answers vary. to me, the lubes are so good these day, it does not really matter. just pick a one.

So has anyone ever had a failure that they can really attribute to the lube they used?

2. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    Not really. Lubrication is less important in some guns, more important than others. AR-15's require good lubrication. Since the bolt/bolt carrier act as the pistol and heat up, lubrication burn off is a concern.

3. Creatism

Creatism

Dec 25, 2011
    Not really due to a specific lube, but lack of lube, my 1911 if it got dry would start having ftf. Greasing the rails helped that a lot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Not in any firearms I've ever owned. But then I like to keep them clean and properly lubed.

5. flynlead

flynlead

Jan 2, 2010
    Yes, on a low end 1911 I use to have. It was all my fault (young and dumb) I ran it dry and had failure after failure. Took apart and lubed it and failures went away.

Other than that, no all my guns function with pretty much any kind of lube

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  6. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns

Dec 25, 2010
    At a shooting match in 20 degree below zero (ambient) weather, the lube that a competitor used on his weapon congealed and caused his auto-loader to repeatedly fail to feed and fail to extract.

7. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Mar 15, 2011
    Alabama
    Not due to a specific Tyne of lube that I used. However, any 1911 in my experience if you don't keep it pretty lubed will not run as well as it can. A Glock doesn't need much at all!

8. A'boy

A'boy fulla hateraid

May 28, 2006
    the Sillbox
    Only a lackthereof in my AR's....but no longer.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Lack of - yes a couple times. One specific brand versus another, nope.

10. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    I went 9k rounds with no lube or cleaning a gun before the first failure, this was with lead bullets that are a little dirty. Was a gun I never carried and wanted to see how long it would go.

11. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    I'm gonna say no, but it's a trick question... If a firearm has special needs in the lube dept. then I'm gonna lay some of the blame on the design itself...

If a firearm is clean, and oiled just enough to be not dry then it should run if it's of proper design...

I have some firearms that are over 40 years old and have never seen anything other than wd-40 and the steel and blue still appear as new, in louisiana humidity but I understand that's not a functionality test.. My semi-auto's have lived on mostly remoil with no trouble.. I've also used motor oil, 3 in 1 oil, ATF, 2-stroke outboard oil, or whatever else was laying around with no problems if the firearm was clean..

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  12. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Other than having WD-40 turn to shellac in a gun stored long-term, no.

13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Yes but many years ago. M60 machine gun, jungle terrain and lots of rain/water crossings washed the LSA off enough that after 500 rounds the gun started to have problems. Dumped some LSA in the receiver, operated action a few times and it started working fine again. :supergrin:

14. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    Go to Wal-Mart, buy yourself a quart of Mobil 1 synthetic. You shouldn't ever have to buy lube (gun) again.

15. Decguns

Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    NC
    We had all kinds of problems with CLP in our M16A2s and M4s, but that's all we could get thanks to Hazmat reg's. After 90rds, it's all burned off and leaves behind a sticky residue. Had to improvise quickly "borrowing" dry moly from the avionics guys and motor oil from trans. Both worked surprisingly well.

16. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

Apr 26, 2006
    New Mexico
    Ohhhhh. On firearms.
    I was gonna go into my old band days.
    But never mind.

17. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Dec 31, 1998
    Indianapolis, IN
    In a variation of the OP question: I have seen many Glocks show up with light primer strikes, not because of a PARTICULAR lube, but because of ANY lube ending up in a critical spot, namely the striker channel. When that channel is lubed, and the vent hole into it clogs because of powder/brass fragments mixing with the lube, then Glock reliability starts to die. Simply cleaning the crud out with a Q-tip restores reliable function.

18. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
    Wasn't a lube issue but an operator issue. I had a buddy who like to run his weapon wet, almost dripping. When we moved to a dry dusty climate, despite warnings, he still ran it wet and it became a dust/dirt magnet.

19. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    yep, but I knew it was gonna happen. Wanted to see how Slide Glide worked on a 1911 in 40 degree weather. As I thought, I was causing FTRB and gun ran fine after I removed it and used oil.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

20. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    I take and teach a lot of high round count classes. I also hunt a lot, and primarily in the cold of winter. I've had problems with shotguns freezing up in extreme cold, and with lube cooking off of handguns and rifles when run hard. I generally use CLP for cold to moderate temperatures, and FP-10 for hot weather and/or high round counts. I haven't had a problem due to lube since I switched to those products.