close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Have been fantisizing about a higher-power pistol

Discussion in 'TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club' started by jeffreybehr, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr Silver Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I love my G32 357SIG with 4.5" barrel...
    [​IMG]
    ...but I guess I have an itch...

I've had a model 20SF 10mm, and while it surely had the power I'm dreaming about, I never loved the feel of the pistol in my hands, which are rather normal sized. I thought about a .40 Super or a .400 CorBon in a 21SF, but I kept coming back to the slightly-too-large grip of the 20- and 21SFs.

THEN, since I love the 357SIG so much, I thought about the 9X25 Dillon in a 20SF. THERE, I thought, was the right combination of bullet diameter and overall power--but then I remembered that grip size and also realized that all that powder and cartridge length adds just about a hundred* FPS to the velocity--c. 1400FPS with 124XTPs--I'm getting from my 357S.

So...this week I'll be trying Barnes solid-copper TAC-XP...
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/mle-tactical-bullets/mle-tac-xp-pistol-bullets/
    ...125s in my reloads. Maybe they will satisfy that itch. :innocent:

[​IMG]

* What else it adds is more recoil, more physical muzzleblast, and more noise!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. STI

STI

Mar 4, 2003
    Cash,Texas
    Just curious as to why you would want more blast,noise & recoil?
    I have a G32 also and its my everyday carry.
    Try getting a G33 or a S&W 2-1/2 " 44 mag which you would really like I am sure of.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

3. jeffreybehr

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I didn't want more blast, noise, and recoil, they just come with the 9X25.

I kept my 32 and did indeed develop excellent loads with the Barnes TAC-XP 125.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    Jeffrey:

Just to keep the thread going and add some life, what do you load and shoot for practice ammo?

5. jeffreybehr

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    For practice ammo I use the Montana Gold 124HP, 10.5g. Accurate #7, WSP, and Speer nickeled cases. Velocity at 10' is almost 1300. I bought the #7 to test for PD loads, found it has too much muzzleflash...
    http://jeffreybehr.zenfolio.com/p548446203
    ...and now consume it on practice loads. I use Accurate #5 in my .45GAP practice loads for the same reason, and #5 has even more MF.

I'm blessed with a place less than an hour from the house*...
    [​IMG]
    ...where one can shoot safely, and I love to take 1-gallon and smaller plastic jugs filled with water to destroy. It's LOTS more fun than punching holes in paper. :supergrin:

Sorry for the low-quality cellfone pic.

* I realize that some of us can shoot in their backyards, but I live in a metropolitan area of over 2 million people and where it's unlawful to discharge a firearm.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  6. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    Wish we had a place like that around here to drive to, lol.

You need to post some pictures or video of the destruction on the water jugs and what not :wavey:

7. jeffreybehr

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I decided to buy another 357SIG pistol, this time a 31 Gen4, instead of buying a new, more-powerful cartridge. Pics later.

Anyone want to buy a 37 in .45GAP?

:embarassed: