close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have an AK and want to Upgrade it...Suggestions??

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Nalapombu, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Hey all,

I have an SAR1 that was given to me years ago along with a case of ammo by my brother in law.

The short stock on it is very hard for me to get comfortable with. I have a terrible neck and I just can't get a decent cheek weld on it.

I would also like to maybe add a mini red dot to co-witness with the iron sights on it.

On one hand I could get a NATO stock set for about $120 or so and change some of the other stuff I don't like for probably another $150 or so (just a wild guess).

The other option would be to just sell mine or find a shop and trade it for an Arsenal that already has the NATO length stock on it or a folder that is longer than the standard AK length, that would be OK too. I really like the looks of the Arsenal AK's, but have never handled one.

The thing is I don't know how much mine would bring or is worth in this market. The Arsenals are about $750 or so depending on what model and options.

What would you rather have, an SAR1 or an Arsenal? Would you care to hazard a guess as to what I would have to pay in boot to get a 7.62x39 Arsenal with NATO stock if I traded or sold my SAR1 first?
    My SAR1 has maybe 100 rounds through it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Nalajr

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

I'd just drop the coin and get an Arsenal (and did). Haven't looked back and neither will you.

:wavey:

3. Hour13

Hour13
    Expand Collapse
    Tah-dah!

:agree:

Before finally coming to the conclusion that I'm just not an "AK guy"... I owned three. A WASR10, an Arsenal, and a DS-converted Yugo. If I ever go back to AKs, it'll definitely be the Arsenal that I'll pick up. Well worth the money.

4. Nalapombu

Nalapombu
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

That's what I have been thinking for a while now.

Anyone know what my SAR1 would likely sell for?

Thanks

Nalajr

5. DieselNut

DieselNut
    Expand Collapse

It would probably sell for around $500. I think they're slightly more desired than the WASRs.

6. TSAX

TSAX
    Expand Collapse
    USAF Vet

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlqGU6hGT24"]SIMPLE KALASH ENHANCE - YouTube[/ame]

:50cal:

#6 TSAX, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  7. Patriot III

Patriot III
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. :cool:

8. TactiCool

TactiCool
    Expand Collapse

I see a lot of suggestions for getting an Arsenal over keeping your SAR1, but having taken rifle courses and used a variety of AK's, the Arsenals that I have handled did not perform "better" than the Romanian AK's that I have used. True, the build quality and the fit and finish were superior, but they did not shoot any more accurately. The only difference in performance that I really noticed was the extra weight of the milled receiver.

One thing that I recommend you do is try and talk to some security contractors who use AK's in combat and ask them which AK's are best. You don't have to take my word for it, but the contractors that I know have told me, mostly, the ones that they prefer to use are Romanian. The one exception being, my psd instructor prefers Saigas.

And as for upgrades, What I have done to my wasr is add an east german folder, an ultimak rail, kreb's retainer plate, tangodown battle grip, and I have done Jim Fuller's rear sight mod. The only other mods I will do is add an Aimpoint T1 and a surefire w/ vltor offset mount. I base my setup on what contractors actually use in Iraq and Afghanistan for PSD work.

9. Nalapombu

Nalapombu
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I would've never guessed that about the Romanian AK's being preferred. Shows how much I know about them.

I would love to be able to send my SAR1 to Fuller and have him fix it up for me. I have some pics of his AK work and WOW, they are something to see. Just great looking weapons. The problem is that he's in VERY HIGH DEMAND and they aren't cheap.

Thanks all for the info and advice.

Nalajr

10. Ted the Ninja

Ted the Ninja
    Expand Collapse

You can always get an adapter for your ak and put an adjustable stock on it. That and a hogue grip are all I've done to mine and I've got to say, it's made me WAY more comfortable with the rifle. I was in the same boat as you, thinking of selling and starting fresh, but those simple upgrades make a world of difference. If you still hate it after that, sell the parts and the gun, or sell it all as an upgraded rifle. Just a thought.

11. TnHawk-45

TnHawk-45
    Expand Collapse

'IF' you shop around you can get a good used KVAR (Arsenal) NATO length stock set cheaply. For example I bought an OD set this week for $80. Stock sets come up for sale OFTEN as folks now want to make their guns 'tactical' with rail stocks and hang everything except the kitchen sink off of them.

A SAR1 with straight sights is just as good as any Arsenal stamped receiver gun. While it may not be 'pretty' it works and has the rail for a scope mount already on it.

Add to this by just upgrading your SAR you do NOT have to go thru all the hoops to acquire an Arsenal or selling your SAR. Besides it sound like the SAR is OFF the books as far as it comes to you having it.

12. leadslinger13

leadslinger13
    Expand Collapse

i think you may want to try to adjust our fighting stance and how you present the weapon to your shoulder. If you use a bladed stance then there does seem to be some difficulty of proper cheek weld. i am sure you will have the same dissatifaction with the nato length stock. Over the years and after using adjustable stocks i found that the desired length was actually the WARSA length go figure.

try this out and see if it doesn't improve the feel of the weapon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCWyUwP-v7k&feature=related"]AK-47 Rifle Semi Auto Grip & Stance Program - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGs_GuPiDbI"]MSR Shooting Tip: Fundamentals of Shooting - NSSF Shooting Sportscast - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmKPbNsyio"]MSR Shooting Tip: Platform - NSSF Shooting Sportscast - YouTube[/ame]

some of the AR techniques are the same for the AK.

13. Ted the Ninja

Ted the Ninja
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I always take a lot of time to make sure I'm taking a forward facing golf stance before firing a shot. Especially if I'm doing moving drills.

14. SCSU74

SCSU74
    Expand Collapse
    St. Cloud Proud

any pics of sar1? i just started looking for an AK and may be interested depending on what price you're looking to get.

15. Veedubklown

Veedubklown
    Expand Collapse

This stance is best for avid use of chest-high walls. Press A to crouch.

16. adamg01

adamg01
    Expand Collapse

The only way I would want a Romanian Ak in a firefight situation is if my Arsenals had been stolen. I have a properly converted SA85m Hungarian (As seen in my avatar) that I do love. Most Ak people will tell you that they are one of the nicest and most accurate stamped Ak's to have ever been imported. I still wouldn't grab it over my SGL20 or 21 in a defense situation.

I wouldn't get rid of the SAR1 though. They are the best example of a Romanian Ak IMO and they are getting harder to find as well. I would just save for an SGL21. I had a Romanian and a Yugo. AK at one time but never was hooked on the platform until I got my SGL20. Good luck in your decision and keep us updated.

17. TactiCool

TactiCool
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

18. vrex

vrex
    Expand Collapse

Ultimak rail, mini red dot, and muzzle device (PWS comp works great) Will take your AK into the 21st century.

19. mudmanfloyd

mudmanfloyd
    Expand Collapse

Tapco G2 FCG.

20. Nalapombu

Nalapombu
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info. I'll check 'em all out for sure.

I like that front rail on the one that's pictured.

Nalajr