close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hate it when I lose brass.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by TN.Frank, Nov 18, 2011.

1. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    Went out back to test 5 rounds of my 40S&W handload. 180gr cast SWC over 5.0grs of Unique. I put up a sheet on a frame that we've got to stop the brass from going too far, well, only found 2 of the 5 cases. :crying:
    Guess I need to go look for the other 3 or I'll not sleep well tonight.
    On a positive note the load shot well, felt more like a 9mm then a 40cal but the PX4 is still shooting a bit to the left. I may need to get the sights drifted just a touch to the right to correct it. Still need to shoot it more before I make up my mind though.

2. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    Shoot some IDPA or USPSA matches. It will drive you crazy.... Brass everywhere no idea whos brass is whos. Lots of people leave it. Just anarchy I tell you. :tongueout:

You will struggle to account for all your brass and be certain it is your brass and only your brass. I just abandon mine and buy it next month from the guy who picks it up sorts by caliber and cleans it. $20-30 per 1K cleaned....

3. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    LOL, I KNOW it's just an OCD thing but for the life of me I can't help it. I'm almost tempted to buy a metal detector just so I can sweep the area and find my lost brass. Makes sense, spend $50 bucks on a cheap metal detector so I can find a few pieces of .05 cent brass,LOL. :supergrin:
    Really though, I hate losing brass that much. :upeyes:

4. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Then you need to shoot a revolver to end this anxiety.:supergrin:
    Really, why not pick up mixed rbass @ an IDPA match then buy mixed brass from someone that does exactly that? Makes no sense to me. I shoot IDPA 3X a month, lots of brass there & I am not about to try to pick up just mine, so I pick up an equiv number of what I can find that doesn't look abused. If you are loading for IDPA, your 40 loads are minor anyway, used brass won't be an issue.

5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Last year I dropped the hammer on a deer, jacked the brass out of the rifle, then realized I was turning around to get my brass instead of taking a follow up shot. Too much time shooting off a bench, I suppose.

:upeyes::embarassed:

I did manage to get a second shot on him. Turns out he didn't really need it, but I still felt like an idiot.

I never did get that piece of '06 brass back. :steamed:

6. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    You'd be surprised at just how many times I've sold off a semi-autos I've had and gotten into a revolver because of this.
    I really do think I'm going to break down and buy a cheap metal detector. They're only around $50 bucks at WalMart and I can use them for other things like checking around old houses here in Tennessee where some folks use to bury Mason Jars full of silver dollars and other cool stuff.
    Looks like a new "hobby" will be heading my way.LOL.:cool:

7. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

8. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Seriously, it drives me crazy to. At least it used to. I stopped using ammo boxes. Those empty holes are no longer there to remind me that I only got back 97 of the 100 pieces of brass. I use peanut butter jars now. I have no idea how many are in there. It also males me happy that if any liberals happen to be near me while I'm shooting, their peanut allergies will send them into anaphylactic shock.

I don't care about 40 and 9mm brass because the stuff reproduces anyway. I lost 6 32acp cases the other night though and that one hurts a bit.

9. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    I shoot on a private range, and I always get ALL my 9mm and .40 brass back and then some.
    But, I don't count how many times I've loaded it.

10. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

Nov 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Ah the pain and agony of losing brass. My life would be so much easier if I didn't stress the small stuff like losing brass, segregrating them by how many loadings, trying to keep an even amount of primers, bullets and grains of powder. I know without a clinical diagnoses that OCD has taken over my reloading life. :crying:

11. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    I'm so glad to see that I'm not alone in this. :supergrin:
    By the way, my wife didn't go for the metal detector idea. I got the "why do you think you deserve to buy ANYTHING." speech. Being unemployed is a real pain, even though I'm taking care of all of the house work and fixed a couple things that our insurance paid for instead of contracting it out so WE'D get the money to pay bills with I still get made to feel like I"m less then worth when it comes to buying anything.
    Just hope she don't find out that I spend $38 bucks on two bottles of Bourbon the other day, she'd crap her pants.LOL.

12. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    $38 for two bottles of bourbon? I can only assume you're talking about those little bottles you get on commercial airlines. :dunno:

Jack

13. bush pilot

bush pilot

Jan 29, 2004
    northwest
    A few years ago I shot a really nice stone sheep in the Yukon, instead of walking toward where he had dropped I started looking for the spent .270 case. The guide saw me and asked "what the hell are you doing?" It seemed like a good idea at the time.

14. ColCol

ColCol

Apr 15, 2010
    TN
    When shooting outdoors I seldom lost more than one or two. At the indoor range it's a problem as 5-8 out of 50 will fall over the line and you can't reach over it to retrieve or an alarm goes off and you get chastised...PITA.

15. bush pilot

bush pilot

Jan 29, 2004
    northwest
    Chastised beats the hell out of getting shot.

16. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    LOL, nope, 750ml's of George Dickel Cascade Hollow and Jim Beam Rye. :tongueout:

17. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    At most shooting areas, a metal detector is only going to tell you there is metal there. That is usually a lot of 22lr around, so it would be of minimla help anyway. Just go revolver & not worry about.:dunno:

18. ColCol

ColCol

Apr 15, 2010
    TN
    I'm not talking about six feet away...I'm talking six inches. I don't think anyone's going to be shooting that close-think about it.

19. You know how many rounds of 40 range brass you can buy for $50?