close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hate for the .40 s&w

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by wesleysmith, Feb 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Merlin40

Merlin40 Merlin40

Apr 16, 2011
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    I was a .45 guy for lots of years. 20 of them in the US Navy. I carried a Colt 1911, as well as a Springfield. Also a Taurus. You could not talk me into a .40 back then, as it was a comparatively "new round". Now that I'm older, (and wiser) I find the .45 a little heavy to carry, and shoot. Do the ballistics on the .40.......I now run a SIG SP2022 in .40. I load Hornady Critical Defense 135 Grain JHP, for SD. I practice with Whitebox 180 Grain FMJ. Nothing wrong with a .45, but, as I said, I have old hands, and a bit of arthritis, So I find the .40 easier to shoot. 12+1 has an advantage over 7+1....I'll (God willing) probably never NEED 13 rounds, but it's good to know I have that capability, should the situation call for it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  2. Teecher45

Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    Yep, I don't ask why, I'm just happy that it's always in stock.
    And currently the same price as 9, still much cheaper than .45.
    It's kinda like gas for your vehicle. If I were to pull in to fill up and they were out of 87 octane but told me they have 93 for the same price, I'd be happy. Same price, better performance.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    It's just fun discussion is all. That's what the forum is all about. :)

4. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

Jul 9, 2005
    I know, but some get so emotionally wrapped up in one caliber over another it's unbelievable.

5. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Handguns are under-powered by nature.
    We would all be better served with an AR/AK or 12 gauge.
    But we can't easily walk around in public and conceal a shoulder weapon.
    So we carry handguns.

IMHO any service caliber will serve you well.
    Carry what you shoot the best.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I agree.

All the service calibers are very similar in performance. I'm not a 40 fan in the least, but it has nothing to do with performance of one vs the other.

7. Militant Gay

Militant Gay

Mar 16, 2014
    Houston
    My feelings on the .40 cal have changed a little bit over the years. My first gun was a G23. I thought .40 was the be-all-end-all when it came to calibers. Anything smaller was ineffective and anything bigger was unnecessary. However, after shooting other calibers, I prefer 9mm these days. The .40 is a proven effective caliber. And if that's what somebody prefers then they certainly aren't making a bad decision.

But after shooting the 9mm more, I just don't think that increased snappiness and reduction in capacity is worth it, especially if you're using quality defense ammunition. At the end of the day, a bullet is still a bullet and I don't want to be on the wrong end of any of them. I just think that, with proper modern defense ammo, the 9mm is plenty effective. I still have my G23 and always will, but the G19 has become my preference.

8. wesleysmith

wesleysmith New Guy

Feb 18, 2014
    Michigan
    That was more or less how I came to buy mine. It was a larger caliber/high capacity option so I could start my collection in the middle and work my way towards whatever tickled my fancy. It's looking like the .45 acp next, as soon as my bank account repopulates a little bit!

9. Glock 23 Nutter

Glock 23 Nutter

Jul 28, 2010
    Well...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWW2Y-IZpyE"].45 ACP Federal HST 230 gr Ammo Gel Test - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWy2AB_AQYo"].40 Federal HST 180 gr Ammo Gel Test - YouTube[/ame]

I Hate that my G23 acts like a double-stack .45 ACP in a 9mm Euro frame.

:supergrin:

Round - Muzzle Velocity/ Muzzle Energy/ Ballistic Coefficient/ Sectional Density:

.45 ACP/230 gr. - 890 fps/ 400 ft-lbs/ 0.143/ 0.162
    .40/180 gr. ---- 1,000 fps/ 400 ft-lbs/ 0.143/ 0.161

That is all.

Nutter

10. wesleysmith

wesleysmith New Guy

Feb 18, 2014
    Michigan
    The more I think about it the more I like this answer. It may not be true in all cases, but, if years down the road, after I've built up a nice gun collection, they came out with a middle of the road cartridge between two i already own and a bunch of people tried to argue to me about why it's the end all cartridge, I might get a little argumentative also.