Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Hate for the .40 s&w

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by wesleysmith, Feb 25, 2014.

1. wesleysmith

wesleysmith New Guy

Feb 18, 2014
    I know, what you shoot best with or whatever you feel most confident with, so on and so forth... that's not what this post is about. I'm a firm believer in the .40 s&w, I own a G23, G27, and a G35 (anybody got a 24 at a fair price? :D). My question is, aside from the complaint about the snappy recoil (fair objection if you do not shoot this round often, I find it very manageable after enough practice), it seems like there is a lot of hate for this round just for the sake of hating it.Why is that?
  2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    anyone who would have hate for an ammo caliber is a little nutty

3. wesleysmith

wesleysmith New Guy

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree, that's why when I'm surfing shooting videos or threads and I see videos with "why the .40 sucks" and what not I'm a little befuddled to say the least. I think most calibers are sufficient and all calibers have a place, so to single out one is absurd. I just haven't been able to find a detailed explanation as to why people feel this way and have trouble believing that based on a little recoil alone somebody can hate a round, so I'm hoping for someone here to enlighten me as I'm new to the (overdone) caliber debates.
  4. fortheboys

Feb 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm not so sure if it is hate or that a lot of people find the round unnecessary with the other calibers available. Myself NOT included. I carry a 27 and 23, all depending.
    I also carry a 19 loaded with corbon 115's or fed 115 +p+. I do not feel uncomfortable carrying any of these weapons.
  5. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Jul 15, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    People do not need a reason to hate here no matter what the subject is. I also find it interesting that many LE agencies are returning to the 9 after using the 40.
  6. English

Dec 24, 2005
    I think part of it is that the lovers of the .45ACP see it as a threat. Maybe some think of it as a personal threat to their manliness because its felt recoil is too much for them. To hate something as non human as a cartridge design is strange and perhaps you first have to love something else it threatens first, but, as Cruiser 1 points out, such hatreds are common on GT. Other targets are the 10mm and 357SIG.

I don't hate any cartridges or firearms, but some are better than others and some are worse. I don't hate the .45ACP and I have a 1911 but as a combat round I think the 357SIG, .40S&W and 10mm are all better. I can admire the machining of the Mauser Broom Handle though I think it an ergonomic disaster.

7. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

The hate stems from a mixture of personal preference and misinformation. Some don't have a need for it while others are bothered by it's recoil, something I've never fully understood. Others think it's no better than the 9mm yet at the same time sincerely believe it's nowhere near a .45 so why bother with it, which makes little sense. Others think it's some sort of high explosive that will blow your arm off because like it or not, the vast majority of folks associate KB's with .40's, Glock .40's to be more specific, despite the fact that every gun make and caliber KB's from time to time.

Personally I think the .40 makes the most sense of all the calibers Glock offers. Good platform size, good capacity, can convert to other calibers if desired, has a large selection of bullet choices and options, is extremely versatile for those that handload, and really it has the power needed to do anything anyone would use a Glock for in the first place.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
  9. Glock 23 Nutter

Glock 23 Nutter

Jul 28, 2010
    People who can't help but pee on their hands...?

...hate the .40.

It is a great round.

10. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    A little tired of this labeling of people "haters" because they have an opinion on something.
  11. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Jul 15, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    Nothing wrong with informed opinions.
  12. happie2shoot

Jan 5, 2008
    And I hate it when haters hate.

Just funnin
  13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    I agree with you and I think the snappy recoil complaint comes from people who need some formal training on pistol fundamentals. Recoil is more of a problem for people who have a bad grip.

As for hating .40 - when it first came out as a tamer replacement for 10mm, I thought it was silly and was anti-40 for a while. I was already carrying 10mm as a duty gun, as were most of the police in my area, and we weren't having any problems shooting it, so it seemed like a case of wimpy accountants with badges needing a lighter load. I have even shot USPSA matches with full-power old school Remington 10mm JHP's that I had left over from my police days - didn't slow me down much. I figured .40 was for wimps.

However, I have since studied and thought and concluded that .40 S&W is just about the perfect self-defense round. You get more capacity and smaller guns and faster follow up shots than 10mm and .45, while still keeping a bigger caliber and more energy than 9mm. I have converted to a .40 fan. I wish I could find a good deal on a commander-size .40 S&W 1911.
  14. wlkjr

Apr 9, 2012
    Same here. I just don't like the feel of the way it shoots. On the other hand, I love my three 10mms. Even loaded hot they feel better than the G23. I have reloads and several varieties of other manufacturers, but just don't like the feel. Well placed 9's will get the job done and bad placed .40, 10mm, .45 or even .44mag won't work.
    I think it's others attitudes toward certain rounds that turn people off.
  15. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

That depends on the ammo used in a comparison with the .45. Yes, if you are using downloaded 180 gr. loads and no for the average shooter if they are using 155 gr. ripsnortin' defense loads.

My problem with many using the .40 S&W is that they think all loads shoot as soft as the "creampuff" 180 gr. loads and that is simply not true. They are amazed when they shoot a REAL .40 S&W defense load and quite frankly few shoot those well or like them. This is always the great "caveat" with the .40 S&W.
  16. wesleysmith

wesleysmith New Guy

Feb 18, 2014
    I wasn't referring to people with opinions, that's everybody; I was referring to people who go out of their way to create/hijack a .40 thread with insults as though the round had stolen their girlfriend :shame:

Having said that I think I made a mistake with this thread, I should have just kept this conversation between me and my shooting buddies, this site is already loaded with the classic caliber wars, and although I did not intend this to be one, it is obviously going to head that way eventually, I'm talking to you fnfalman, lol.
  17. J_Rico

Aug 17, 2007
    Nah. Hurts no one to discuss. Except for the thin-skinned and they would be offended by something else anyway, so no worries.

Personally I hate no caliber. Each has their own virtues and weaknesses.

From what I have read here, there seems to be a group that hates the .40s&w because it stole the place of the 10mm. If the FBI had not downloaded the 10mm to the point where Federal and S&W could get the same performance in the smaller case, then the 10mm would be more popular. There would be more ammo avail at better prices. Police trade-in 10mm handguns for cheap, etc.

Could be wrong, but my $.02
  18. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    I shoot many calibers,none that I would call objectionable,I carry and shoot a 40 the most. SJ 40
  19. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Some folks don't have the training and experience to deal with recoil.
  20. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

Jan 11, 2011
    too close to philly
    then i'm a little nutty.

25 acp is crap.

40 is fine. I think a lot of it stems from 10mm guys who's noses are out of joint that the beloved 10mm isn't on the hip of every human being walking the planet.