close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

has there really been any sure way to fix the glock 36 FTE problem?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by wickedarachnid, Jul 31, 2012.

1. wickedarachnid

wickedarachnid one cool dude

I just recently got a Glock 36 in a trade. The older man who was a gunsmith said he had only fired 20 rounds through the gun but it just wasnt his cup of tea. i traded him a nice Ruger lc9 wit ctc laser for it. I has a Glock 36 before and liked it but got rid of it after 50 rounds because I needed the money at the time. I took my current G36 out to the range and fired some cheap Tula steel cased crap through it. out of 50 rounds I had 2 FTEs . both times the spent casing fell nose down into the chamber and jammed the gun up. I have now read tons of threads on GT and other forums but no one seems to have a definite solution. I have heard that the recoul springs are to heavy to the magzine springs being to weak. what is the best plan to diagnose the true problem? I know I will need to fire several types of ammo first but if the problem persists what should I look at first to change or modify?
    btw this gun was made in 2008

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

1. Insure all parts are stock
    2. Use domestic ammo

3. ghostrider88

ghostrider88

+1 put some brass thru it

4. Javelin377

Javelin377

Quit shooting crap ammo.

I carry a 36 daily. I have never (it may happen today) ever had it fail in any way. 100% reliable. I shoot reloads, but all brass.

5. MSims

MSims

Dont know why you all think tulammo is crap but thats what I use for range practice and it spits out flawlessly out of 6 of my glocks and never had problems with it... Just shot 400 rounds of it thru my glock 17c flawlessly this weekend...

6. fastbolt

fastbolt

If someone brought a 4 year old G36 to me for reported functioning issues under the conditions reported in the first post ...

The first thing I'd do is clean and inspect the gun, making sure all parts were stock and appeared normal.

If everything looked fine I'd lube it normally ... and then test-fire it with some major brand of American-made ammunition.

The gun isn't all that old, but if the gunsmith had left the gun "stored" with either the slide locked back, and/or the magazines fully loaded, I'd replace the recoil spring assembly & mag springs. (Not a bad idea when getting a "used" pistol, anyway. ;) )

I've lost track of the smaller .45's (including a G36) that have exhibited erratic feeding, ejection & general functioning issues in the hands of the owners, but ran just fine in my hands ... usually while I'm standing right next to the owner and using the same ammunition.

Smaller .45 pistols often seem to be less tolerant of shooter and ammo influences.

Day in and day out, the significant majority of pistol "stoppages" and "problems" can be traced to the shooter (something not done correctly regarding grip or manipulation).

After that comes ammunition issues (which can mean the use of "budget" ammo, which can mean reduced power, unknown quality, etc).

Lastly comes an occasional "gun problem".

DannyR's post said it simplest. ;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  7. MikeG36

MikeG36

My G36 has never had an issue and is one of the most accurate .45ACPs I own. (And I have a few.) I would suspect that the ammo might be part of the problem here. Try some decent quality brass cased ammo and see how it runs with that.

Good luck!

Mike

8. Tx_Angus

Tx_Angus Wage Slave

I have owned a G36 for several years. From new out of the box it has exhibited FTEs. I have tried numerous solutions found here on the forum, the latest being a Lone Wolf extractor which I have now installed but not yet tested. The gun is a safe queen that I keep tinkering with in hopes someone will come up with a solution. In my experience, the G36 is either good on day one, or it will never be right. But I continue to hope and fiddle.....

9. mo.glocker

mo.glocker

crap ammo or not(i dont shoot it now)but before i started reloading brass i kept buying tons ,around 1300 rds before i was done of tula 9mm from walmart,and my wifes new 26 wouldnt hit the hard primers on the stuff,but what is really weird you guys should inspect your fired casings that come w/your glock mine are all steel cased ammo and these envelopes were sealed from glock w/my 4 new glock,so they do test fire them with tula-jeff:dunno:

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

If it were me, and I wasn't an armorer, I'd return that G36 to Glock and let them examine it (and the magazines). Why "keep tinkering" with a modern, good quality pistol made by one of the major makers?

If you don't mind me asking, do you own & shoot other smallish .45 pistols? If so, do you experience any issues when shooting them?

I only ask because of the number of young, large & strong young men I've watched shoot little .45's and experience "problems".

The smaller you go in the way of .45 pistols, the more potential there seems to be for the small .45's (of more than a single design/model) to be less tolerant of both shooter & ammo influences (as I mentioned). Granted, some small .45's may exhibit a "preference" for one or more brands (especially regarding power levels, bullet weights & nose cavity designs).

11. fastbolt

fastbolt

I suspect they use whatever bulk ammo they find available at various times, as I've seen different brands of brass in the boxes of new Glocks. My last one (late '11 production) had Federal brass (FC headstamp) in the envelope.

I know at least one other major gun maker who rotates through different brands at different times. I've been told part of the reason they do this is because they like to randomly try the various defensive ammo often used by their LE customers.

12. Tx_Angus

Tx_Angus Wage Slave

Mmmm......I have other 45s, and other Glock 45s, that work just fine. I have a Kahr MK9 that is absolutely flawless (it is my CCW).

Limp wristing? LOL I doubt it. Should I return it? Maybe. But many others have tried that, and after months are told it 'meets specification'. Its a fun little gun for plinking and target shooting. An occasional FTE doesn't stop that.

13. di11igaf

di11igaf ibew

Ive seen CCI aluminum more than once.
    Never tula or steel, not to say they havent.

14. fastbolt

fastbolt

I really dislike the term "limp-wristing". While just about all of the major pistol makers mention an "improper grip" in their list of probable causes of some types of problems & stoppages, it's not a "limp" wrist alone that is usually involved.

I prefer to call it a "unsupported, wrist/grip technique", myself. Even so, it's not like simply using a less-than-properly-firm wrist and/or grip is alone to blame in any number of combinations of gun, ammo, maintenance, environment & shooter factors.

I've had some guns that I couldn't get to exhibit a improper grip-related stoppage when only using thumb & middle finger to holds the grip, allowing my wrist to bend in 2 planes. (CAREFULLY done, sometimes with only 1-2 rounds in the mag.)

Then again, I've been able to cause a stoppage when simply transitioning from shooting positions around cover, or raising/lowering the shooting hand during a specific face-paced drill.

And yes, I've found that changing recoil spring rates ... combined with a less-than-ideal firm & supported grip ... can certainly make some guns more susceptible to stoppages involving slide velocity & feeding timing issues.

I've also seen a fair number of shooters of various .45 pistols, of a range of skill levels, sometimes experience more issues with their grip of the smaller .45's than with the medium & full-size .45's. Go figure.

I've often suspected the longer "dwell time" of the .45's recoil impulse (and slide velocities/run distance in the shorter guns), might also play a part for some folks. Not a black & white thing.

I know at least a couple of Glock employees who favor and use the G36, and consider it an excellent .45 pistol. I doubt they'd feel that way if it was really a problematic model.

Sure, I once had a Glock rep tell me that the G36 wasn't exactly their best success, but they'd also just finished resolving some magazine issues in the couple of years before he'd expressed that comment.

One of our other instructors picked up a several year old G36 and brought it to the range to do some functioning testing with live-fire. (I can't remember the serial number series.) He'd not yet bothered to replace the RSA or mag springs.

Between he and I we ran maybe a hundred rounds of 230gr BJHP (Golden Sabre) through the little gun. Slow, fast, 1 & 2-handed, etc. It ran just fine.

I even tried to get it to act up by intentionally relaxing my grip and allowing my wrist to "break" in 2 planes for a mag load. It still ran fine. (I later gave him a new RSA, but I told him he'd have get his own mag springs because I didn't have any for that model.)

It's your call whether or not you want to send it back to Glock (probably on your dime), but maybe a local Glock armorer could give it a once over and replace some springs or other parts? Might not hurt.

15. Tx_Angus

Tx_Angus Wage Slave

Just reading this thread, it is a fascinating subject. And the price of admission? A G36. Now you see why I won't give mine up :supergrin:

(and I've swapped in a Lone Wolf extractor, haven't had a chance to test it yet)

16. Cool Hand Hodge

Cool Hand Hodge Senior Member

I have one and its money...wouldnt trade it for the world!

17. wickedarachnid

thank you everyone for your input so far. all info is great. I know I must run some more ammo through it and make sure I have a good locked grip on it. The only reason I asked this is because it jammed in the same manner as I have read tons of complaints on forums about. Glocks arent suppose to jam period so it was a shocker to me that it did. I want to carry this as a primary carry gun so I want to trust it 100 % regardless of ammo or grip. another question I have is why the recoil spring has a crusty looking black paint on it? could this be causing friction and slowing the slide down causing it to not "throw" the spent case out?

18. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

The Main thing that ever vexed my 36 was being unreliable, FTFs with Cor-Bon Truncated cone shaped JHPs - the 185 and 200 +Ps. In this case the fix is simple, use Federal, Speer, Winchester etc round nose ogive JHPs. No more problem. This is why firing various loads through a gun is necessary.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  19. wickedarachnid

Glad to report that I took the glock 36 out for a second time today and put 50 rounds or federal champion ammo through it with no problems feeding or ejecting. I did however have two times where the magazine failed to lock open the slide on the last shot but I can live with that more the fte or ftf's. I even intentionally limp wristed it through a whole magazine and it functioned flawlessly. this ammo felt alot more stronger than that tula stuff.

20. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

+10% Wolff magazine springs should take care of slide not locking back. http://www.gunsprings.com That and don't use truncated cone loads and you should be fine.