close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has the Walking Dead affected/effected your preparedness?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by coleslaw, Mar 5, 2012.

1. coleslaw

coleslaw
    Expand Collapse

Tonight's past episode has me seriously considering taking the cash I was saving for a down payment and using some of it to buy a AR15... Changing my loadout from a pistol shotgun combo to a pistol AR combo. I don't beleive in Zombies and no matter the situation, I know my 870 can get the job done within 50 yards and within 25 yards... Lets just say I'm a surgeon with the 870.

But the show is finally exposing the realism of issues such as running out of ammo and a large gang with big guns that murder, rape, steal and scavenge posing a threat in the area that you and your group/family is in. This is where I can see the rifle shine, high round count, alot of firepower between reloads, ability to carry more ammo, and most important of all... keeping distance between me/us and them.

Or maybe I'm just being silly and watch to much TV... or maybe I need to find a buddy with a AR and couple up with them. Anyway has this show changed your preparedness?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 20South

20South
    Expand Collapse

Every house needs an AR or an AK.

Just my .02.

3. Chowser

Chowser
    Expand Collapse

yes. i am currently a seven pistol, one shotgun, two rifle, one katana family of four. the show tells me i need to add some more rifles and 1000 rds of each caliber is not enough to keep in stock.
    :p

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. shamrockmusic

shamrockmusic
    Expand Collapse

well, i have a gun that fits every person in my house and what they can handle. wife has a g26& a 870 20 gauge, i carry the g23&g17c with my 870 12 gauge. ak for long range. my son is a newborn so we have a warning sirin!!!!! o and 2 olde english bulldog and doberman mix dogs for baby protection. there is a good loadout for anyone in need of a zombie loadout.

my house is protected by the 2 G's
    God, and a glock
    break in and you will meet them both!!

5. JK-linux

JK-linux
    Expand Collapse

Thing's I've considered since they are on the road and essentially "bugged out"... They'd be at Ft. Benning by now if the RV hadn't kept crapping out. I'd definitely consider stocking more repair and replacement parts for mechanical items I already own. Also, some spare clothes to just "wear around camp" in my bug out would be good as well. I'd forget to bring some if I had only a short time to bug out. The cast of the show is looking pretty ripe to me. I'd imagine one wouldn't be doing one's self or family any favors on the road with a ton of ammo and one pair of sweaty, smelly, bacteria ridden, ripped up pair of clothes. Also, plenty of toothpaste. Stress gritting teeth, bad food and the like is hell on your teeth. You be living close to the lifestyle of a meth addict, minus the meth. Toothpaste would be good.

6. coleslaw

coleslaw
    Expand Collapse

I can get a AK47 cheaper than a AR right? I am working the midnight shift but I am seriously thinking about going as soon as I get off and buying a basic plain Jane YET good quality rifle. I have 1100 to spend. It will clean out my down payment fund but I think my 08 F150 will be running for a while... New car can wait.

7. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono
    Expand Collapse

Good luck finding an AK right now.

8. coleslaw

coleslaw
    Expand Collapse

Well AR it is. I'm not real big into the super duper tactical so I'm thinking maybe a basic Bushmaster. Only thing I'd like is a A3 type upper and a picitanny handguard.

Someone else had mentioned something about 1000+ rounds of ammo. I might get a well made duffle bag and stuff it with ammo, to go along with my bug out bag and firearm bag.

9. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

Yes. I got another Noveske 300BLK SBR......

:whistling:

10. racerford

racerford
    Expand Collapse

Get a strong duffel, 1000 rounds of .223. It also could be uncomfortable banging against your side (should strap) or against your back (backpack). You might consider repacking the ammo. Boxes can be pokey.

11. vtbluegrass

vtbluegrass
    Expand Collapse

You can get one of several AR's for under 700 bucks right now I got a Del-ton thats never given me a bit of trouble. Buy good mag(I like p-mags) and ammo and you are done.

12. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, didn't mean to turn you off from them. For some reason they just seem hard to find right now. I heard there are more shipments of Saigas coming in...problem is knowing when. Could be next week could be the summer. FYI I'm not sure if the new ones will have the scope rail on the side.

As far as the price...converted Saiga will run you in the $550-600 range. No idea what the WASR prices are right now, but they were $450-$500 last time I looked.

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

A shotgun is great but a rifle (carbine) is an absolute requirement, IMO. Wars are fought with rifles for a reason.

14. coleslaw

coleslaw
    Expand Collapse

Yes sir.

My girlfriend and I was watching the episode tonight (we watch the show religously), and she asked "What would you do if you was the leader of the group and you had a gang or small army of murderers and rapists heading your way"... Well they say "Hope for the best prepare for the worst" and that's when I realized I'm not prepared for the worst, I'm prepared for "Hope"... Hope that the government will still be established after a emergency. Hope that the Red Cross will provide food and shelter. Hope that just my handgun and a several mags will do fine for me and the ones I protect.

I know the AR is not the absolute most essential item to survive but it sure does make dealing with issues ALOT easier than what I already have.

15. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20
    Expand Collapse
    LongTerm-Guy

I personally "like" the bolt action Rifles 30-06 & 308 variety with a good Scope...along with a great pump shotgun.......dont care to be around many fire-fights.

~ "I know my 870 can get the job done" ~

16. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

Question: Has the Walking Dead affected/effected your preparedness?

Not in the least.

Hollywood is not my guide to prepping.

I study actual (historical) survival events instead. I'm fond of reality.

#16 Bolster, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  17. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

I agree! Real life is not Hollywood movie.

#17 TangoFoxtrot, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  18. 20South

20South
    Expand Collapse

Don't just look at retail, shop the classifieds here at GT and other sites as well. They pop up from time to time and you may get one FTF. For 600-700 you should be able to get into an AK and your 1000 rounds pretty handily.

19. Taphius

Taphius
    Expand Collapse

The converted saiga from classic arms for 499 right now seems pretty good.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

20. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

Information,be it h/wood or the net is useful.How many here have seen real "Ideas" they wouldn't of thought of.'08.