close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has the Recent Miami Cannibal Incident got u Rethinking Your Cailber?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by DaBurna, May 31, 2012.

1. DaBurna

DaBurna
    Expand Collapse

This was a sick sick siiiiiick event!! :shocked:

It eventually took 4 shots to stop this crazed and deranged man!!!:wow: I'm not sure what caliber the N.Miami PD use, but this definitely was not a 1-shot stop!! Yes, I know people hopped up on PCP & Hallucinogens can fight through most handgun calibers. But this was an eye opener to me....I don't too much feel undergunned while CCWing any of my Glocks, but this is making me lean more towards my Big Bores for more penetration, wouding, and such... What do you guys think?!:shocked:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. steve1988

steve1988
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't know enough about the officer's shot placement to really comment on how effective the department's caliber choice was. I would look at that before the caliber on how effective the round was.

3. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

Not my caliber but the placement of said caliber,every one should know that a Z requires a upper panel shot. From the story and so far unknown facts the attacker was most probably deranged if not under the influence, upper panel placement should have shut down central nervous system. SJ 40

4. DaBurna

DaBurna
    Expand Collapse

I guess this reinforces that SHOT PLACEMENT IS KING!!

5. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

6. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

Four undercover NYPD cops cornered Amadou Diallo in a narrow doorway and only managed to hit him 19 times out of 41 shots fired. It's not easy to produce one-shot stops even when there are four seasoned LEOs trying it.

I don't know how close the Miami officers were to this freak but I suspect the zombie-like situation produced a great amount of trepidation in approaching him. And it's Miami, the two men are stark naked so who knows what diseases might be transmitted via blood which I take it was all over the two men.

I think shot placement is the most likely reason it took four rounds to end the attacker's life.

#6 unit1069, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  7. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ
    Expand Collapse

Good question, IMO. Any Florida LEOs know what caliber was used and where shots were placed?

8. DaBurna

DaBurna
    Expand Collapse

From the photos I saw... At least one shot was upper torso in that, u can clearly see an exit wound in between the shoulder blades of the deceased assailant....

9. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

10. alabaster

alabaster
    Expand Collapse
    Swollen Member

For what it's worth, I "Heard" that the ass-ailant was high on cocaine and bath salts. That may have quite a bit to do with the round count also. I agree that shot placement was numero uno, but drugs make scary people do scary things.

BTW, those pics were gross. No sghetti for alabaster tonight...

#10 alabaster, May 31, 2012
  11. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+
    Expand Collapse

Glock 22 was the wep used, load is up to anyones guess, I've looked and can't find it. To the original question, no. I up gunned last year from a revolver to 1 of 2 Glock 9's loaded with Ranger T 127+P+'s. 5 shots just wasn't making me feel good anymore.

12. DaBurna

DaBurna
    Expand Collapse

I hear ya Bro.... I keep a Ruger LCP on me for 100% of the time carry... But it's usually a BUG to a G26 or G27 during normal CCW conditions....

13. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

Nope. I carry 9mm 90% of the time and I'm fine with that. Alleged Cannibal Cokehead / Zombies or not.

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

#14 cowboy1964, May 31, 2012
  15. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

Jay-sus. If that's really the aftermath. That is, I don't even know what.

Here buddies I brought you some eye bleach in case you looked at those pics.

[​IMG]

16. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wow.

That guy really did eat his face. Literally, like, he ate his face.

But no, that doesn't change my caliber preference one bit. If it had that would probably mean I was carrying a .32 or some other weak, under powered caliber to begin with. I already know better.

17. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot
    Expand Collapse
    Photojournalist

Know the limitations of your firearm and your abilities with that firearm.

Drug induced frenzies and pocket guns will not be a good match in many cases...unless you carry lots 'o boollits.

Even with a larger caliber it will likely take more than a single handgun round to redirect the drug induced behavior to cease.

Remember the whole fighting through and injury concept? Willpower in those cases works the same way the drugs are in the bad guy. Be prepared. If you carry small, aim small and carry more mags than you typically would with a standard sized firearm...and pray you never have to see a situation like this in your lifetime.

18. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge
    Expand Collapse
    "The Sarge"

Four rounds of any handgun caliber to bring a monster like that down is not bad at all. Shot placement is key, practice is paramount, and always train for failure to stop. This incident will not change my choice of caliber. These days I mainly carry 9mm and 357SIG. For some reason I have been carrying the 357SIG more lately. Must ve a sign of the times. Bill

19. itstime

itstime
    Expand Collapse

It doesnt change anything. As. If as I can go. At least a 9 and 380 bug for me.

20. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

#20 fredj338, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012