close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has Striker Fired stolen DA/SA & DAO Guns Thunder?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DaBurna, May 13, 2012.

1. DaBurna

DaBurna

To me the hammer fired semi-autos have seen their heydays come and gone. I can appreciate Sig, Ruger, Beretta, HK and the like's hammer fired designs, but I think Striker Fired Semi-Autos have ENTRENCHED themselves in the market never to be moved out of 1st place.

Nevertheless, after shooting a Beretta M9 @ the range yesterday, I can see why they're still holding on!!! Sweeeeeeet Single Action Pull!

2. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

For those willing to practice DA/SA transitions, it's an awesome setup.

3. countrygun

countrygun

The striker fire pistol has been around since early in the 20th century (the Luger for one) and there have been several designs, so it is nothing "new" or "revolutionary". it is merely having it's "turn at the plate". Many gun companies were glad to see some type of different design become popular so they could field new pistols to meed the presumed need. Much like they jumped on the double stack magazines in the late 70's and everyone thought that all semis would have the "new" mags, forgetting that the doublestack even pre-dated the Browning High Power by several years.

Notice the "New" pocket autos? The only "new" things about the concept are polymer and the willingness to shoehorn the 9mm round in to the package.

4. arclight610

arclight610

Well Sig, HK, and Beretta are still in business so I'd say no.

5. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Eventually people will get tired of the feeling of stamped metal grinding against more stamped metal trigger components.

6. Sendarr

Sendarr

I still prefer da/sa over striker fired.

7. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

Never personally cared for the DA/SA action, nor do I see a need for external hammers on a pistol. But they will be around long after I'm gone. Heck, people still buy SA revolvers, don't they?

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  8. method

method

SAO? Never heard that one.

There's double action, single action, and double action only. Double action implies single action capability, there's no need for this DA/SA nonsense.

9. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

For a self defense pistol there is a lot to be said for striker fired. No manual safety is a big advantage to me. I find the revolver like simplicity of a striker fired pistol to be welcome in a weapon I might have to defend my life with.

I find the DA pull on most DA/SA pistols to be pretty awful. The difference between DA and SA is so much that placement of the second shot is normally pretty far from the first shot. If you manually cock the pistol before shooting then the SA trigger can be quite good, however that is not how I use a self defense pistol. I am also a bit concerned that the SA trigger is more likely to result in ND. The striker trigger is safer than the DA/SA in that respect.

My G26 has a stock trigger pull since it is my primary self defense weapon. I did replace the grooved trigger with a smooth trigger and I find the G26 trigger to be perfectly acceptable.

My G17 has a Ghost Rocket connector and it has a delightful trigger pull. Not as good as my S&W Model 29, or a finely tuned 1911, but otherwise pretty darn good.

I like other pistols for range/hunting use and for their aesthetic properties, but for self defense I'm going to stick to Glock like pistols, specifically my G26 and my PF9.

10. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Colt .45 Peacemaker is an example of a SAO. You have to manually cock the hammer after each shot.

[​IMG]

And there are DAO pistols out there also. The Keltec P11 and P32 are both DAO only. The Sig P226 DAK is a DAO version specifically for police use.

11. Brucev

Brucev

Everyone has their own preference. Some will like a design while others will not. So it is with the striker fired pistol. As produced by Glock, S&W, etc., they have some who like them and others who don't. There are many multiple examples of hammer fired SA and DA pistols that are superb designs. If someone is insecure and wishes to defend their choice, fine. Have at it. But to suppose that those with differing views are inexperienced and behind the times is simple childishness.

12. Roger G23

Roger G23 Glock Guy

I'm mainly a striker fired Glock and M&P guy. I'm going to pick up my new 92FS Friday!

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I don't see much reason for that transition. Safety, I guess, was the reason.

I'd rather have a loaded Beretta knocking around loose than a loaded Glock. But to draw and get those first shots quickly on target, I'd rather have a Glock :)

14. countrygun

countrygun

:agree:

15. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

There is no reason why the DA/SA cannot be as fast or faster and just as accurate.

16. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

You have to remember, many here weren't even born when Glock appeared on the scene in the early 1980s, so that's all they know. Furthermore, they don't understand that some people prefer different platforms for different reasons.

[​IMG]

"What's a 1911?"

17. countrygun

countrygun

Watch someone like Bruce Gray with a SA/DA sometime. BTW Jerry Miculek does a pretty fair job with an "Old fashioned" revolver.

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Hey, maybe for you :)

I was quite happy with my 92 for a couple decades until I started shooting IDPA. Then I saw the beauty of my 26 and PM9 with their faster 1st shot capability in my hands. That made me go out and buy a 17.

I really do love the 92, but there is no way I can get that first shot off as quickly and accurately as I can with the 17. I suspect many people have found the same in their own shooting, because the Glocks and M&P tend to dominate IDPA.

And I know, it's only a game. But the difference is real, at least for me :)

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  19. Yankee2718

Yankee2718

I think a major reason striker fired guns have become so popular is their extremely short manual of arms. Insert magazine, rack slide, holster. Draw weapon, fire, holster. There is no decocking lever or safety to manipulate before or after firing. The design is very simple.

I also believe that the price is a big factor too. How many people on average can go to the LGS and plop down $900 for a Sig or HK? There are many more that can plop down $550 and leave with an excellent firearm that will out shoot them their whole lives. Also, there is a lot of bias in the gun business. Read any gun magazine and normally the only pistol mentioned is a 1911 that costs upwards of $1000, or a Glock or Glock clone. Never mentioned are other excellent pistols like CZs that are superb DA pistols that don't cost $900. Normal people can't spend top dollar for a pistol. The majority of pistol buyers will buy the gun, shoot it 200 times, put it away and rarely shoot it again. I know that someone will come along with the 'How much is your life worth' garbage. For the normal everyday Joe a $350 Taurus will go bang and shoot when it is needed to.

I think that cost/easy use dominates, and that is why striker fired guns have become so popular. Ease of use and ease on the wallet. That being said, stay safe.

20. method

method

Actually, you have to cock the hammer before each shot. I know what a single action pistol is. What I was commenting on was these silly, redundant terms that get made up, like DA/SA, and SAO.

Last edited: May 14, 2012