Has Marlin (Remington) Really Taken A Huge Smelly Dump>?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ULVER, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Interesting. I have read a lot about Remington's quality slipping.

If the video guy wasn't an FFL the video could have big legal implications, with them sending him the new awful "practice" guns.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 humanguerrilla, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. I guess it's just a sign of getting old, but dog gone it, I wish they would just leave the things that are done right alone. The list is endless. Has any product, that was bought out, ever became better? I sure can't think of any. Like many other products, glad my Marlins, and Remingtons, are vintage!

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Can't comment on the remlins, but I do love the marlin actions.

Marlin wasn't perfect either, but let's hope remington can get over the "growing pains" and the pendulum swings back the other way.

4. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

No, not every Marlin was perfect. But, if it wasn't, there was a group of dedicated people who would take the rifle back, fix it, and make it perfect. They did this because they were linked to the quality of their work. They cared.

There is no such ethic as this at Cerberus. A single rifle means nothing to a twenty billion dollar corporation. And you, the customer, mean even less.

5. I've got a '72 model Marlin 336, and it's not going anywhere... I pulled it out of the safe last weekend to clean the barrel out, and it's still a very slick bore and the action is greasy smooth with zero slop...

6. If I am not mistaken, the original Henry rifle was tube fed, so the current Henry rifle has the same to keep it authentic looking. I have a Henry 22lr and it is a great shooting rifle.

7. All the big makers have moved to CNC machines. There are very few "craftsmen" around anymore. People are any business's primary investment/expense and they all try to keep that investment/expense to a minimum or they can't compete...here or especially, abroad. So there's not a whole lot left for the "old guys" to teach. Now you need skilled machine operators and you need machines that are maintained well plus some "assemblers"...and you'll generally get a decent product. Not a product that a skilled craftsman spent some time making sure it was debugged...but a product that functions (generally speaking) well enough to go out the door.

If you want real old-time craftsmanship, you'll have to go to a small semi-custom or custom shop. And, of course, you'll pay for that skill and the time they spend building your firearm.

#27 TxGun, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

8. That or shop the used gun rack at your LGS. I have an older Marlin and love it, I have not held a new one but my Remington 870 built in 2010 is a piece of crap. The bead sight is drilled so far to the right it's just about hanging off of the rib, the fit and finish suck. I have some choice words for Freedom Group that would make a sailor blush.

9. I really love the octagon Marlin Cowboy. I wish I could just trust buying one, but I can't.
    You can't take people working on a product and then replace them. Why **** up a good thing? Why did they need to move to NY? Couldn't they just own a company that was in CT?

10. Is it an Express? My Express wasn't the best, but it's in the name. They skipped out on the finishing and attention to detail to give a gun that can compete with the cheaper to assemble Mossberg 500, etc.