close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has anyone worn out a Wilson ETM yet?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by BeckG19, Nov 19, 2010.

1. BeckG19

BeckG19
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone worn out a Wilson ETM yet? They have been out for a while.. Has anyone used one up, springs ,followers ? Mine have been good for a couple years of limited use. They are much better than the 47d's IMO.

Thanks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

nope, not yet.

3. AZ Husker

AZ Husker
    Expand Collapse

I bought three recently on the reviews. So far I'm very happy. Much better than the 47D's. Be aware though, they really only make sense in a magwell gun. They stick way out and the baseplate is shaped so it's not practical in a gun without a well.

4. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

FWIW, when you wear one out, keep in mind that the springs are proprietary. My Wilson 47Ds have been 100% just like my ETMs. Can you get any better than 100%?

5. okie

okie
    Expand Collapse
    GT Mayor

I haven't wore one out yet:supergrin:

6. BeckG19

BeckG19
    Expand Collapse

interestings.. all of my 47d's had their springs fail after a year or two of use. thats 100% failure for your comparison.. so the ETMs are welcome.

7. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8
    Expand Collapse

Thats really my only complaint with them. But the added length is a necessary evil, IMO. I carry the ETM's as reloads, however, I still use a 47D with the low profile base plate in my gun.

8. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

Which is like saying your tires on your car have a "100% failure" (whatever that means) because they eventually wear down?

Either way, 47ds have a great track record. Not knocking the ETMs, I just don't like the proprietary spring BS.

#8 MD357, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  9. Spiffums

Spiffums
    Expand Collapse
    I.C.P.

As the WilsonRep said, so the springs are proprietary, why would you buy wilson springs from someone else?

10. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

You mean why would I buy mag springs from someone else? Because ISMI and Wolf make better springs and they are more available.

11. BeckG19

BeckG19
    Expand Collapse

You do understand, I'm just trying to find out if the ETM are in fact a much better mag. The proprietary springs are NOT a problem if they don't need to be replaced over the life cycle of the product.

I store my mags loaded for SD for long periods and I'm curious about other peoples experience. I have basic 7 rounders that have been loaded for many years and work great... Just want a 8 rounder to do the same. No way to really test other than time, so I'm looking for input.

Good luck with that tire thing..."100% failure" (whatever that means) because they eventually wear down? "... It means 4/4 47d's have failed within 18 months.. both 7 and 8 rounders... Weak springs when they don't need to be rub me wrong... 7 round mags should last years and do.

12. AZ Husker

AZ Husker
    Expand Collapse

The 47D, like most other 8 round mags, are simply a 7 round mag modified to squish an extra round in. The ETM's have a longer tube and were built specifically for 8 rounds. I agree that the springs in the 47D's were woefully weak and short-lived. Hopefully the new version will correct that issue.

13. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

I guess I'm going to have to spell it out for you. Wilson's springs suck hence your problems with the 47Ds wearing out quickly. I'm not the only one to notice this or say it. The ETMs are having the same wear pattern relative to 47Ds. Don't believe me? Head on over to some of the other forums (non-wilson) and start asking. This is why I don't like them being proprietary..... because ISMI and Wolf are better springs and more readily available.

Both mags are designed well you just have to change out the springs somewhat regularly. (kinda like you have to change your tires when they wear down) If you are looking for a magical mag that will stay loaded and compressed forever without fatiguing the spring then let me know when you find it.

14. BeckG19

BeckG19
    Expand Collapse

Brother have u worn out an ETM spring?...Yes or No.

15. gconan

gconan
    Expand Collapse

I have worn out one ETM 9mm follower. I also do not like the cut in the body so you can see how many rounds it is loaded with. It lets in a lot of carbon. That being said all my others have lasted quite awhile. I like the magazines, but they are not perfect.

16. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel
    Expand Collapse

Have you ever tried an ETM magazine or do you just like to make believe that you have?:wow:
    The spring inside is about a foot long.

17. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

Nope, not yet. You DO understand that there's a life span on mag springs yes?

I've got 4 or 5 of them, what does the length of the spring have to do with anything I've said? :crazy:

18. BeckG19

BeckG19
    Expand Collapse

19. ambluemax

ambluemax
    Expand Collapse

For what you pay for wilson mags, I was completely disappointed in how quickly the springs wore out (1 competition season). I can get a better product for less with Chip McCormic(2.5 seasons and still going strong)...so wilson has lost my business forever when it comes to mags.

20. Carrots

Carrots
    Expand Collapse

Wilson has a lifetime warranty on their mags and will replace them FOC if they crap out unreasonably early.