close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has anyone seen one of these yet?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Detectorist, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist
    Expand Collapse

2. scrapinby

scrapinby
    Expand Collapse

They've been doing those since I was a high schooler in the mid 90's. I've heard that dry ice works good too. Rumor has it if you lock said dry ice bomb in the trunk of your car, it will blow your rear speakers.

3. DoogieHowser

DoogieHowser
    Expand Collapse
    Eh

Get them all the time on the campus, the fire marshal got involved and charged them when we find em.

4. bccop

bccop
    Expand Collapse

We dealt with a few of those about 3 years ago.

5. Cav

Cav
    Expand Collapse

In 1989 I had a class at Fort Ord CA that teached us how to make devices like that, only on a bigger scale (about the same things used).

In the mid 90's the MRE's bombs came around with the heater.

About 9 years ago we started dealing with MRE bombs and dry ice. We charged for an explosive weapon. Felony just like a short barrel firearm or a machine gun. Kids stopped making them rather fast once word got out.

6. rookie1

rookie1
    Expand Collapse

Back in high school I made one. The bottle just swelled up and stayed like that for 2 days until I threw it into a barrel with a fire and it popped. Didn't do it again, wasn't that fun. I guess I did it wrong.

#6 rookie1, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  7. nursetim

nursetim
    Expand Collapse

the formula is old, so old my step father taught it to me in the 70's, I would think that the lye would eat through a plastic bottle. we used to mix it in a glass coke bottle attach a balloon with a cloth "fuse", light and release, fire would ignite the hydrogen.

8. 93GT

93GT
    Expand Collapse
    The Ogre

Yeah some "people" I knew in middle school and highschool used to make these. It works with a lot of other things than Draino, but I won't go into details. They seem harmless enough as most dangerous things do to teenagers. I don't recall anyone doing anything malicious with them, just making them to see if they worked. I would imagine they have been around for a long time, but the earliest I remember seeing them was probably in the mid 90's. No one got arrested, they just turned 16 and started driving and chasing girls for excitement instead.

9. trifecta

trifecta
    Expand Collapse

I regularly, but not often work one of these or similar cases involving regular fireworks. Never had anyone hurt by them, but the mailbox never survives.

I've seen devices that completely destroyed a heavy galvanized trash can and bent the lid in half, sending it 205 feet. Would not have been a good day if they timed it wrong.