close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has anyone here tried this

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by rpgman, Dec 15, 2011.

1. rpgman

rpgman
    Expand Collapse
    SCGLOCK

#1 rpgman, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. jmorris

jmorris
    Expand Collapse

I didn't cut the spring but did add thrust bearings to my 650's. Set properly they are a lot smoother.

[​IMG]

3. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

I'm ordering my 650 TODAY!

Was already preparing to get the mods people use: the tube for the primer ski-ramp, and the bearing mod. I know Uniquetek has a solution that is kinda pricey.

Where did you get these thrust bearings and what is the process to set them properly?

#3 ron59, Dec 15, 2011
  4. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I have them on my press. Steve also has them on his press. If you use both washers you need to bend the ejector wire. After screwing up two of them and could never get it right. I finally did like what Steve has done and only use one washer on top. So you will have washer, bearing, shell plate. Cutting the spring ½ of a coil also helps. And putting grease in the index pawl and spring. It helps in slowing the index pawl down a little when it pops in the hole in the shell plate. Every little bit helps. Especially if you use a powder that fills a pistol case ¾ or more.

5. rpgman

rpgman
    Expand Collapse
    SCGLOCK

got them from here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

parts number 5909K31 quantity 2 (one for backup/spare)
    parts number 5909K44 quantity 4 (two for backup/spare)

in this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86570&st=0

Greg

6. rpgman

rpgman
    Expand Collapse
    SCGLOCK

wait, you put them on the BOTTOM of ur shellplate and NOT the TOP?

7. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

You have the shell plate bolt, you put the washer, bearing then shell plate.Nothing goes on the bottom side of the shell plate.

8. rpgman

rpgman
    Expand Collapse
    SCGLOCK

maybe I'm not understanding, because in the pictures on this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86570&st=0

the washer and bearing are on top of the shellplate, no?

#8 rpgman, Dec 15, 2011
  9. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

I clipped a little over one coil, and slightly beveled the detent ball bores in the shell plate with a large 1/2 in 100 degree countersink bit.
    Another thing you should make sure of is that your 650 is properly lubricated, particularly the index mechanism and ramp. Use a light coating of grease for all those parts and the bearings and shell plate retaining bolt.

#9 Boxerglocker, Dec 15, 2011
  10. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

Yes the bearing and wash go on top to the shell plate. Just like what the picture shows. But both Steve and I only use one washer that is on top then the bearing, and no washer below the bearing so you only use one washer and one bearing. If you put a washer, bearing, and another washer you will need to bend the ejector wire. I never had any luck in bending the wire. So Steve came up with the idea of just using one washer and the bearing.
    So if you put the bolt in your left hand then put a washer on the bolt then add the bearing. Then add the shell plate you will have the right order. Nothing goes below the shell plate and the platform.

11. rpgman

rpgman
    Expand Collapse
    SCGLOCK

thanks, that's what I thought.

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

I clipped about two coils IIRC. It was more then many others recommended but it seemed to make the biggest difference. My setup is 100% now even with this mod. I hate mods that make something LESS reliable. I needed to bend the wire even using just 1 washer. That's just the way it goes in my world. Everyone else is fine with the easy route and I have to go just a little more. But it's perfect now and very smooth.

13. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

This is all I did to mine, seems to run fin & powder spillage only happens w/ 90% full cases. I can live w/ that. Perfect doesn't exist in my world so I rarely go looking for it.:winkie:

#13 fredj338, Dec 15, 2011
  14. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Mine would not eject cases properly if I didn't bend the wire. Even with just 1 washer. So I didn't have a choice but to bend the wire.

15. rpgman

rpgman
    Expand Collapse
    SCGLOCK

can't wait to try this tomorrow, hopefully I'll get lucky and won't have to bend the wire.

16. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

I know that is so exciting. You will love the press. I am sure of it.

I would start loading with out this mod for a day or two. Get a feel for the press. Do the ski ramp tube thingy. Besides that, learn the machine stock.

17. rpgman

rpgman
    Expand Collapse
    SCGLOCK

congrats Ron...

you will really like this press.

It took me a couple days to get the feel of it, but like Bob and Steve have mentioned to me, it's more of a 'feel' kinda thing, that you sooner or later get used to how the press works.

A Dillon CS REP mentioned to me, they tell people it takes 5000 rounds to actually work it and get the feel for it.

Not sure that's correct, but I'm getting the 'feel' for it, like knowing when primers are seated properly, etc.

Greg

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

After a short period of time I got a good feel for when the press is going to start activating the indexing portion of the stroke/movement of the handle. So you can control the speed of the indexing once you get the hang of it. The LnL was always indexing. Drove me nuts. I load a bulky powder in 9mm. So it's important to not have the press sling powder. In my experience, unless I loaded really slow the LnL was always slinging powder. The 650 you can use a faster movement of the handle on the downward movement of the handle and slow down as you raise the handle to about 1/2 way up. Then you index and push to prime in the last 1/2 of the upward portion. You will see what I mean when you have the press. Doing this I can still load 100 rds in 5 mins.

19. rpgman

rpgman
    Expand Collapse
    SCGLOCK

I do that same thing....slower on the upstroke.
    Greg

20. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

Literally JUST placed the order at Enos' site.

Got the 650 with casefeeder, strong mount (lowering my table, it's way too tall), roller handle, and spare parts kit.

I already have the bullet tray for my 550.