close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Has anyone here ever traded/sold a Harley to get a crotch rocket.

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Ghosty, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Free American

Dec 19, 2002
    America
    I've had my '03 Harley Softtail standard for little over a year. Although it is a great motorcycle, I'm considering trading it or selling it for a '05 Yamaha R1 or R6 (all black for '05).

The Harley is nice, but where I live, the roads are more curvy and well suited for a crotch rocket. Also, I seem to never have the time to keep the Harley in spotless condition.

I had a '04 Yamaha FZ6 for a short time, and I enjoyed it very much. Handled better, better braking, and was just as comfortable.

So I'm wondering if anyone has ever done a similar trade, and what their opinions were of it (smart move, regretted it, etc).

Also, does anyone here own a '04 R1? If so, do you like it

2. TriggerRider

TriggerRider Premium Man

Dec 8, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Ghosty -

Never owned a Harley, although I have ridden most of the Harley models produced in my 30 odd years of motorcycling.
    My philosophy is that I don't want to own anything that takes more than 20 minutes to clean - I have more pressing things to do in my life ! Like RIDE.

If you owned an FZ6, you might want to check out the FZ1. It is more powerful, comfortable for fairly long rides, and handles very well.
    Yes, I own an '01 model, and love it.

We also have the best forum in motorcycling.
    Good luck with your decision.

3. xrated

xrated

Oct 7, 2004
    St. Louis, MO. area
    First of all, I sell both. I work at a motorcycle shop in the St. Louis, MO area (Alton, IL) that sells H.D. and Honda (we do keep the bikes separate, so they don't fight, :) ) and only one time in the year and a few months that I've been there, has anyone traded a Harley for a sportbike. We had a used Suzuki Hayabusa, and a guy came in and traded a Harley cruiser for the Zuke.

Harleys and sportbikes are like talking apples and oranges. I've ridden for 33 years and my feelings have always been, ride what works for you. Hondas have always been one of the most reliable, troublefree motorcycles on the planet. Harleys on the other hand, as most of you know, have had quality problems for years. They are a much better motorcycle now than they ever have been. Plusses are that they retain their value much better than any motorcycle made. Harley sells a "lifestyle" as well as motorcycles. Another plus for the H.D. side is that there is more accessories made for Harley than any other motorcycle around. The Japanese motorcycles, without a doubt are much more reasonably priced, and give you much more "value" for your dollar. It all depends on your riding style, income level, and what makes you smile. Myself, I'm an old guy that still loves to go fast, hang a knee in the corners, and spend more time riding than working on my bike. Honda dependability, reliability, fit, finish, and value; make the decision easy for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Sep 13, 2001
    Katy, TX
    Man, that is a beautiful XX. The exhaust looks varrry niiiice.

I understand one can still get '03 Birds in the crate. Someday...

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Free American

Dec 19, 2002
    America
    Guess I touched a nerve. ^8

I've never considered the term "crotch rocket" an insult.

6. Eyespy

Eyespy Proud Infidel

Sep 2, 2004
    Southern California
    If I may presume to know what type of bikes you are actually alluding to, the correct terminology would be "sport bikes". I have always been put off by the phrase "crotch rocket", as it does generally carry an intended negative connotation, even if you were not yourself invoking it, and it least accurately portrays that to which it refers.

7. xrated

xrated

Oct 7, 2004
    St. Louis, MO. area
    The term "Crotch Rocket" has an especially bad connotation that associates sportbikes with irresponsible people. Certainly there are irresponsible people riding all kind of bikes, but as much bad press as the sportbikes are getting, we don't need to throw out another opportunity for the media to take a shot at motorcycling in general. So, from now on, just call them sportbikes. :)

8. xrated

xrated

Oct 7, 2004
    St. Louis, MO. area
    Thanks F14Scott! The pipes are a set of Carbon fiber cans with stainless steel "S" bend pipes. The brand name is MIG and they supposedly are no longer in business. A friend of mine that has the same bike and access to a dyno shop, split the cost of have a Custom map made for the PowerCommander II. It dynoed at 148.2 HP and that of course is not considering the ram air affect at speed. Absolutely a great sound too. 8000RPMs = After-Burner! :)

9. kels

kels

Jul 26, 2002
    Kansas
    I dont know if it is the horse power
    or what.
    People climb on to one and it is like
    they loose common sense.
    I wish you well and hope you are the
    exception.
    Make sure the life insurance is paid up
    and please sign your organ donor card.
    My best ticket so far is 64/20 while
    he was riding on one wheel.

10. SteelFrame

SteelFrame

Oct 6, 2004
    Coastal
    I realize I may be a minority in todays market, but other than the dirt bikes I started on as a little kid 35 years ago, I prefer the standard bikes and sure wish there were more of them to choose from. I do miss the 750 Nighthawk (toured Europe on one) though it's a bit small for my needs.

I'm in the market for a new bike and plan to get an '05 Honda 919 or a Kawi ZRX1200 in the next few months.

Any standard riders out there?

11. xrated

xrated

Oct 7, 2004
    St. Louis, MO. area
    I dont know if it is the horse power
    or what.
    People climb on to one and it is like
    they loose common sense.
    I wish you well and hope you are the
    exception.
    Make sure the life insurance is paid up
    and please sign your organ donor card.
    My best ticket so far is 64/20 while
    he was riding on one wheel.

Not that I couldn't have an accident, but I've been riding for 33 years, and ALWAYS wear full protective gear EVERY TIME that I ride. Also, with age comes wisdom, hopefully. There is a time and a place for everything

12. LTR

LTR

Nov 8, 2003
    Muskogee
    Purchased my first HD in 2001. Waited 11 months for it and paid $1000 over list. Put 7500 miles on it two up and never had any trouble. Too much maintenace in my opinion. At the time it required three different oils for the trans, clutch and motor. Now Harley sales there own synthetic which can be used in all three. More place for busted bugs then you could believe. All black and it would get dirty just looking at it. Sold it and purchased this new last April. Never have looked back. 2003 Honda ST1300ABS

[​IMG]

This bike cleans up great. Oil changes are easy. Electric windshield is great. And with 7.7 gals it can really go the distance. Twice the HP and better milage to boot.

LTR

13. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

Feb 28, 2000
    Neither here nor there
    A few years ago I had a Harley Night Train. I ended up having to sell it to pay the loan off when I got laid off. Just a month ago I bought (actually, the company I work for bought it for me! :) ) a Honda 919.

I thoroughly enjoy the Honda more than the Harley. It is a bit more comfortable, has a LOT more power, handles WAY better and isn't geared like a tractor!

I'm not against Harleys by any means and will one one again someday, but they are just two different riding experiences. Test ride as many bikes as you can before making your decision. The thing I don't like about most crotch rockets is the crouched riding position. It tends to hurt my back. The 919 has a more upright position, but not quite as upright as a Harley.

14. V Creed

V Creed Been there!

Feb 25, 2004
    The Rockies
    I have ridden Harley's for years. Presently own a 97 Heritage Classic. Never had any problems with it in about 25k miles.

But........I recently bought a Honda 1800 VTX Retro (looks sort of like a giant Harley) which is a lot faster than my Harley. I put drag pipes on it, so it sounds like a NASCAR race car.

Come summer I'll probably sell the Harley, since the VTX is faster, louder and handles better! ;f

Crotch-rockets? ;T

15. RKC2000

RKC2000 OFOPOS

Jun 2, 2003
    Florida
    I've riden HD for around 6 years now. I know if I had a sport bike I'd kill myself - as I tend to wind it up when I can. My Road King Classic keeps me at or under 115 mph.

I'm also not a HD bigot - I like anything with two wheels and an engine.

16. xrated

xrated

Oct 7, 2004
    St. Louis, MO. area
    Good for you. I have been riding since I was 16, and I'll be 50 in a couple of days. I have always felt that it didn't matter what you rode, as long as you were having fun riding, that is what should count. Too many people (I hesitate to call them motorcyclist), are more concerned about the name on the side of the bike, than they are about actually riding.

17. BrianM_G21

BrianM_G21

Aug 18, 2004
    Manchester, GA
    I had a friend while attending MMI that went from a Softail classic to a Kawi ZX6E and then put 48k miles on the bike in the next 4 years. He's working in a HD shop, but rides a Yamaha now (I think, he was in the process of shopping the last time we spoke) and said that he perfered the slightly more relaxed 'sportbikes' to Harleys now ~ something about more bike for the money and not having to work on his bike at home after doing it all week in the shop.

That said, he only made the switch after I agreed to take the HD classes (along with Suzuki and Yamaha, dropped Honda). Interesting machines, and I'd like to own an older one someday when I have the disposable income to afford a non-primary road bike (I can only have one, and when I can afford 2, the other will be a dedicated track bike).