close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Has anyone ever found your safety disengaged on your 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by jjboogie, Dec 25, 2011.

1. jjboogie

jjboogie

Jan 2, 2007
    I don't own one anymore but I had a Springfield Loaded at one time and used to carry it constantly. Even sitting with it in my car.

I remember one day going to the bathroom and then looking down and noticing the safety on that double sided version Springfield has disengaged!!!! :shocked:

I about flipped!!!

That's not the reason I sold that gun. And one day I'll buy another 1911.

Has that ever happened to you? And what was the situation?

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Seems to be a rather common issue with the ambi-safety feature.

3. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    So long as you have a good quality holster and keep your finger off the trigger if the safety did happen to go down it wouldn't be a big deal:thumbsup:

4. Giggity

Giggity Holster Maker

Feb 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    When I make a 1911 holster I mold the body shield around the safety lever which makes it very difficult to disengage the safety while the gun is holstered.

Of course, this only works on a right handed holster, or a lefty with the ambi.

5. JK-linux

JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    I had it happen once with an extended safety on a carry 1911. I removed the safety and replaced it with a standard safety. No issues since then. That was probably overkill, but I don't care about extended safeties anyhow - no loss of function for me.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

Darn good post........

7. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Ditto. That's just one of the reasons that I don't like ambi's. I have a buddy who had 2 of his carry 1911's, that both had ambi's, have this happen to him several times. He finally saw the light and has since swapped all of his ambi's for single sides. Even on the 1911's that he doesn't carry.

8. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    Carrying a 1911 requires more planning and preparation than many other designs. I think it's worth it, but the fact remains.

One of the things that needs to be carefully considered is the holster. Some hang up when carrying a 1911 with front cocking serrations. Some won't work with ambi safeties or extended safeties. I match my holsters to my 1911's, and don't have problems. I have never had my safety unintentionally released on a ccw 1911.

9. jjboogie

jjboogie

Jan 2, 2007
    For the record this happened to me in a Versa Max II. I believe it got disengaged while driving or getting in and out of my car but who knows for sure.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  10. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Agree with both above.

11. I'm a lefty, therefore, I have ambis on all of my 1911s. I've been carrying 1911s on a daily basis for the pass 2+ years now. That may not be a long time, compare to some of you, but I've only had it disengaged ONCE.

Some people are also forgetting that there are TWO additional safeties; grip and trigger. So if you don't have both TS and GS disengaged, AND your finger on the trigger, then it won't go bang.

Most importantly, how that TS detent is dressed to engage with the plunger spring is also very important on having a positive lock up on the TS. A good smith can shape that TS detent engagement for a very tight lock up w/o being a pain to engage the TS.

12. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    I don't (& wouldn't) carry a 1911, but I have handled many that had a safety that was mushy & way too easy to move, so I could see where it would be a problem.

13. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Nothing after this part of the sentence really matters does it?:dunno:

14. Not sure what you are refering to as a Trigger Safety on a 1911.
    Is that on a series 80 style that you are refering to?
    I consider that a drop safety more than anything else.
    Press the trigger on a series 80 or a series 70 and it will shoot as long as the grip safety is engaged, and of course the thumb safety is off.
    I think of a trigger safety as that which Glock has on their triggers.
    The series 80 is a firing pin block, and that is for drop protection.

15. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    Yes, it's happened to me. Probably due to the seatbelt and those damn ambi safeties.

16. Novocaine

Novocaine

Jun 10, 2004
    What you're thinking about carrying instead? Revolver?

In terms of accidental trigger pull the 1911 with disengaged safety is safer than say Glock in my book. A lot of people are comfortable carrying Glocks and such.

17. My reference has to do with te general safety of keeping your finger off the trigger, until you're about to punch paper or take out a treat.

18. weisse52

weisse52

Nov 17, 2006
    bountiful, utah
    Yep, and as others have noted it was an ambi safety. I now only have standard non-extended on my Colts and have NEVER found it disengaged.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  19. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET