close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has anyone else given up on chain restaurants?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HollowHead, Mar 30, 2012.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    Went to Olive Garden last night out of sheer desperation and can now add it permanently to the list of places like Red Lobster, Carlino's (sp?), Outback, Texas Roadhouse, PF Chang's, Chic-fill-a, and all the other re-heater chains. Yuck!

PS: Famous Dave's is good, though... HH

2. norm357

norm357

Feb 20, 2003
    With the exception of Chick-Fil-A, yes. I prefer small mom n pop type of place.

3. norm357

norm357

Feb 20, 2003
    Also, any man what hates Chick-Fil-A prolly hates the sweet baby Jesus too.

4. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    OH
    First time I went there I never went back. Food was bland like diet food.
    Guy and his wife I went with thought it was great.

Olive Garden thats is.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  5. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Feb 8, 2007
    Texas
    No chain restaurants for us either...

6. Emoore

Emoore

Jan 3, 2006
    DFW Texas
    I try to stay out of chains as much as possible. Except Starbucks. ;)

7. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Mar 10, 2007
    KY
    I like most of those chains. I'll leave it at that.

8. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Chipotle for the win!

:wavey:

9. JBnTX

JBnTX

Aug 28, 2008
    There's just too many small privately owned, hole in the wall type places where I live to waste time and money eating big corporation slop.

Serve bad food or piss off too many customers and they're out of business,
    so they put forth the extra effort to do what's right.

I support them with my business and money.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  10. DDgunslinger

DDgunslinger

Dec 22, 2011
    Louisville, Ky
    I prefer the small mom and pop restaurants as well, the food and service is always better for the most part.

11. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Yeah, I've been making a point of going to Starbucks just for their 2nd amendment stance.

Other than that, I won't go to any national chains. I do like some local chains though. We have a place in CLE called "The Winking Lizard" that is pretty good.

12. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    Didn't try that one. I had some kind of chicken BBQ platter which really wasn't worth writing home about. HH

13. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Jul 20, 1999
    CT
    I like Outback, Olive Garden is the worst, however.

14. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

Jan 17, 2007
    Lone Star State
    I'm not out on all chains, but I avoid the bottom of the barrel, one on every corner restaurants. I'm talking about the Olive Garden, Applebee's, Chili's, TGI Friday's, and Red Lobster type places.

To me, those places are to sit down dining what McDonalds and Taco Bell are to fast food.

Some chains I like quite a bit, like Chick-Fil-A, Bucca di Beppo, California Pizza Kitchen, and The Cheesecake Factory.

15. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    We rarely hit Olive Garden and when we do, we almost always do the soup, salad and breadsticks. Love their soup although I've found a pretty good Zupa Tuscana (sp?) copycat recipe. Sometimes I get their eggplant because I love eggplant and my husband doesn't so there's really no point in me cooking it at home.

We had Famous Dave's rib tips last weekend. $10 for all you can eat. This week their burgers, a side and a drink is $8. Get on their mailing list. Sometimes they have pretty good coupons.

The only chains we really go to are Papa Murphy's, Little Caesars for $5 pizza, or Dominoes for delivery for pizza. Unless we are just lazy or pushed for time, we make pizza from scratch most of the time.

For Mexican, Abuelos is very good but it's not authentic. We'll hit Popeyes for strips (we are tonight) or Subway more often than anything unless it's Bojangles for breakfast.

16. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I haven't set foot in a chain restaurant in about 20 years. Nor, will I ever. Life is to short to eat crap in a chain restaurant.

17. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Jan 1, 2010
    A cat box in WA
    Outback is ok-I visit a corporate restaurant maybes once a year with friends-never alone.

18. huskres

huskres

Oct 7, 2009
    Where do you eat in Santa Fe? The wife and I go there occasionally, we actually got married at Pecos National Monument as well. Had out wedding dinner at La Casa Sena.

About the only chains we go to are Chik-Fil-A and PF Changs or Pei-wei. And Changs and Pei-wei cook their food. The only thing in the freezer there is seafood and ice cream.

19. Osborne

Osborne

Jan 3, 2012
    Kentucky

How is it even possible to hate Chick-Fil-A? I lost respect when I read that...

20. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I like PF Changs. The chicken lettuce wraps are great, and they are the only place I know of the serves homemade ginger beer.