close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has anyone adopted a less adoptable pet before?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OctoberRust, Sep 13, 2012.

1. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old SoulSoul

Aug 30, 2004
    Illinois
    I adopted a dog that absolutely despises children and all animals. I'm talking immediate kill mode when she sees them.

Would've been nice if they'd have told me when I got her. :upeyes:

2. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas

Just curious, what kind of dog is it?

3. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Being black is a physical problem?

Thats pretty racist.

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I adopted a pit bull with hopes of it despising children, all animals and old people with instant kill mode, but I can't get it to work right.

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    I brought home a 6 year old cat last year. According to the shelter everyone fully expected her to get put to sleep.

Glad I did, she likes watching Alabama games too :)

6. elsolo

elsolo

Aug 4, 2003
    socal
    Pit Bulls are less adoptable, or at least they are very heavily over represented in many shelters. Chihuahuas and pit bulls make up 90% of shelter dogs from what I have seen.

7. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old SoulSoul

Aug 30, 2004
    Illinois
    Half boxer half lab.

8. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas

Ah, was thinking you were going to say a smaller breed, like some sort of york terrier, or Chihuahua. It seems a lot of those dogs suffer from little guy syndrome. :supergrin:

9. Butcher

Butcher NRA Life Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Eutopia
    My dog has anxiety issues and pees inside if I leave, or if there's a thunderstorm or fireworks outside. But I love her :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Kwoodz

Kwoodz ShutUpandShoot!

Sep 11, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I adopted a pitbull named "Dave" and will probably never own another breed of dog again. If he had opposable thumbs, or hands for that matter, i would have him do my taxes.

11. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom

Mar 2, 2009
    Lone Star State

Not racial, but superstition issues. There are still a bunch of people that believe black cats are bad luck. Also, at certain times of the years, black cats fall victims to weirdos that use them for sacrifices or just plain eliminate them because they believe they are evil. There are a lot of people that would never consider owning a black cat so I guess it can be seen as a disability for the animal.

12. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    I only adopt shelter/rescue animals, but I HAVE to get kittens/puppies because that almost guarantees that the new animal will socially bond with the other cats and dogs.

With the exception of the old cat my wife had before we met, every one of our six cats love and snuggle with our two dogs; both of our dogs love every one of our cats.

Two of our cats don't get along, but they did originally. Jealousy over me has caused them to dislike each other.

13. Zombie Surgeon

Zombie Surgeon MODELATOR

Sep 6, 2012
    I run a rescue organization for Giant Schnauzers. In 2005 we rescued a 5 year old, huge (120 lb.) male who was the textbook example for an antisocial animal. He was stealing food from the kitchen counter, showing his teeth when he was admonished, attacked other dogs, even put a nasty bite in my wife's hand. We knew his history of abuse and neglect because the person who had the dog in his possession and called us told us a little bit about his life. The dog was purchased by an L.A. doctor as a "best of the litter" $3000 dog show pup. Then when a couple of months later the good doctor lost interest he was chained in the backyard, neglected and physically abused by the owner's own wife. This explains why years after being rescued this dog was completely mistrustful towards women. And to put the cherry on top, he was also having seizures, sometimes 3-4 times a week.
    The only logical option was to put him to sleep. Yet we did not, we decided to adopt him ourselves. With the right approach and a lot of patience and calm we turned him in one of the most loving, calm and well behaved Giants we ever owned. He was my shadow everywhere I went - at home, at work and in my car and my wife was jokingly saying that he thinks I am his God, so much was this dog devoted to me.
    He lived to be 10 years old and I was forced to put him to sleep after he was diagnosed with liver cancer. The vet put him to sleep in the backseat of my car, his favorite place.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  14. mabgrac

mabgrac

Jan 2, 2004
    A1A
    I adopted a one eyed cat. Her adoption fee was half the others and she seemed very friendly when I took her out of the cage. I do not usually like indoor cats, but my wife wanted one and I picked this one out. Going on three years now and she has been the best cat I have ever had. She is the most dog like cat I have ever seen.

15. That was brilliant. Seriously. Your dog went to sleep in the best place he knew, which is far better than in an examination room.

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    I tried.

Turns out possums don't want to be adopted.

17. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Kansas
    Our first family dog was a stray with one eye. Great dog, still miss her.

18. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    Oh hells yeah!

If it is affordable, having a vet do a housecall for this is the way to go. It is so much easier on all involved, especially the animal.

19. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    I dropped some canned dog food I couldn't use off at the shelter yesterday. I don't know why I do this to myself, but I looked at available dogs and cats. There was a Doberman mix puppy that I wanted to get. :crying:

There was also a very sweet kitten who was dying for attention. He climbed all over me and purred like a motor. I wanted to get him, too.:crying: