Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

  • Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Harley Sportster-Thanks

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by mesteve2, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. mesteve2


    Mar 2, 2001

    Thank You for all the great help and honest help.

    I bought the Harley 2002 for $4,000.

    Had it for three days and two nights.

    Traded it for 2003 V-Star Custom.

    Paid $2,000. extra Total $6,000 out of pocket.

    Now that is a bike.

    The Sportster was a real POS.

    Did not feel safe at speeds over 50 mph.

    How need some insurance.

    Please tell me what I need.

    I go to the VA.

    No health ins.

    Thanks again.
  2. bassman-dan

    bassman-dan NRA Lifer

    Jan 29, 2004
    Quagmire, Louisiana
    I would suggest that you go to and get the name and phone number of a local independent progressive agent. Phone them and find out what amount of coverage is required by your state. Also discuss what you need for your own personal circumstances such as medical coverage. Once you have obtained that information, call 1-888-438-0867 to get a quote-it should be cheaper directly from the company.
    You should also get a quote from and state farm since they may be cheaper. One word of caution--make sure that whoever you use for insurance is actually licensed by your state or you may find yourself in trouble when it is time to make a claim.
    Good luck.

  3. markos


    Aug 7, 2004
    Three days and two nights, you're a fast learner. You might enjoy this rant on why H-D is not a real motorcycle

    Progressive is probaly your best bet for insurance
    I may have missed it ,but is this your first bike?
    Stay safe
  4. bgcc11


    Jun 8, 2003
    N Palm Bch, Fl
    Move to Florida.
    Insurance is not required for motorcycles (if you wear a helmet or have life insurance).
  5. RKC2000

    RKC2000 OFOPOS

    Jun 2, 2003
    I had a 1996 Sportster 1200. Had it up to 115 mph no problems. Frequently cruised at 70 to 80, no problems. I'm sure others will be smoother at higher speeds, but I've never felt unsafe with the Sporty.
  6. BrianM_G21


    Aug 18, 2004
    Manchester, GA
    Progressive and Dairyland (part of Sentry) are 2 of the cheaper independent, no catch companies. State Farm is known to be great on larger displacement bikes, but you Must have a car with them. And since you mentioned the VA, USAA is supposed to be very good too, I just haven't called for a quote yet (only eligable for the last month, and I paid a years worth of insurance at Dairyland back in May ~ at a $110/year, who wouldn't?).

    As for the no health insurance, you either need to buy some or spend money on the best gear out there. **** happens no matter how experienced you are... the saying goes "Dress for the crash, not for the ride"