close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Harley Road King or Honda Gold Wing

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by AWMP, Aug 20, 2004.

1. AWMP

AWMP

Apr 28, 2003
    Trying to decide which bike. Currently Deployed to Iraq and I have had a road king before and looking at getting another one before I leave , but been toying with the idea of a Gold Wing. Anyone help here? Advantages/Disadvantages? Thanks
    AW

2. Ralphumor

Ralphumor NRA Life Member

Mar 22, 2004
    KY
    Lets see....6 Cyc water cooled shaft drive rock solid dependable....I love motorcycles but I love Hondas MORE...I will admit that the Harley has higher resale but I cant see how..Right now in the classified there are about 40 Harleys..Everyone seems to be wanting to sell them.... Goldwings RULE!

3. pck50

pck50

Oct 22, 2003
    Florida
    If you prefer a honda go for a Honda 1800 Rune.
    If you like foreign go for the BMW K1200s

Two Great Bikes

4. Bdnbrck

Bdnbrck

May 7, 2004
    Honda ST1300

BMW K1200GT

Those are what I'd get....

5. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Find a low-mileage (under 50,000) GL1500. The 1800s have solid valve lifters that need to be adjusted, rather than the hydraulic lifters Honda has used in the Wings forever. Also, the 1500s don't have a history of cracked frames like the 1800.

Road King or Wing? Hmmm, that would be a tough choice if I didn't already have a Wing.

6. ColoradoPacker

ColoradoPacker What's a Glock?

Feb 9, 2004
    Colorado Rockies
    It really depends on what you want it to do - if you want a wetbar and fridge, get the Honda - if you like the looks you'll get and the sound, get the Harley :cool:

7. BrianM_G21

BrianM_G21

Aug 18, 2004
    Manchester, GA
    It all depends on what you want... the Wings have a bit better handling if you toss some corners at them, tend to be a bit cheaper both to buy and to operate and you certainly won't be seen as a RUB. The HD has LOTS of aftermarket support (way more than the Wing), instant recognition, and for the people who find it necessary, the sound/percieved attitude.

I'd suspect that a Wing might be a bit more comfortable for extendid trips (3~4 or more days of 600+ miles a day), though I may be wrong as I've seen a ****load of HD's out here while moving. If you're not going to be taking to many overnight trips and staying more or less local to your home, then it's a toss-up ~ buy what's most appealing to you.

Personally, I'm going to trade my VFR for a BMW and some hyper-sports bike. Get the LD touring and 2-up with one bike and my need for speed/corners with the other. Something I've found necessary over the last decade as I've moved from a barely legal racebike for my daily ride to a nearly stock 'sport-touring' bike and being frustrated at something the whole time.

8. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

May 21, 2001
    V I R G I N I A
  9. RKC2000

RKC2000 OFOPOS

Jun 2, 2003
    Florida
    Well, ah, let me see....Gee, this is a difficult one for me...

Guess I vote for sound.

10. Fugly.

11. quinch

quinch Turgid Member Millennium Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Omnipresent
    I think it depends on how much you ride. If you ride more than drive, Wing.
    If you're a weekend cruiser, Road King.

The Road King can never hope to match a Goldwing in day to day use, but it sure is pretty! It's one of the few Harleys I really think are beautiful.

That said, a GoldWing is an Electra Glide with a better motor, tranny, electronics, ergos, aero, reliabilty, and performance.
    I'll grant it doesn't have the look of an Electra Glide or Road King, but if your putting on serious miles or long trips, function over fashion!

JMHO

12. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    Gold Wing all the way if you are going to do some serious touring. More power, more comfortable and more reliable.

Regards,
    Glen

13. Ralphumor

Ralphumor NRA Life Member

Mar 22, 2004
    KY
    Boy you can say that again!!!! :cool:

14. pck50

pck50

Oct 22, 2003
    Florida
    LOL, But Baby Its 1800cc Thats severe Power!

15. beachside39

beachside39

Jul 20, 2004
    Florida
    I've had two Honda 900 Customs... shaft drive, etc. and enjoyed the smooth ride for 50,000 miles or so.

I test drove a new Harley and Gold Wing.... The Harley was nice but seemed to be more basic while the Wing was a complete machine. You can't beat the smooth ride if you plan to be on it for any distance. But, if you want the "Harley image", you can't ride anything but a Harley.

I don't care about image.. I like what the Wing does for me. It has a lot of standard features... fairing, bags, trunk, radio, cruise, etc. that makes it complete for my use. Of course, you can spend thousands on accessories but why? It's still the same bike, only heavier. Forget the $1,000 CB and $1,000 CD changer. You can plug your iPOD into the accessory jack and enjoy more quality music for much less.

I've found new 2004 Wings on the internet for $15,000-$16,000 but am waiting for the 2005 to come out which should be any day now. Then, I'm doing some serious internet shopping for my new bike.

Buy what you want and enjoy the ride!

16. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Jan 25, 2000
    Aridzona
    Fugly

17. fireslayer23

fireslayer23 Roadwhore

Jun 2, 2000
    USA
    If you want reverse, a cb and a navigational system you should get an RV.

18. AWMP

AWMP

Apr 28, 2003
    Sorry guys but its a 2005 Harley Road King, either white or two tone blue. Wife said gold wings were for older folks, lol.
    The gold wing is a great bike, but I think the road king works better for me, thanks again for the input and emails.

19. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

May 21, 2001
    V I R G I N I A
    I know next to nothing about HDs other than a riding friend of mine has a Road King and has had repeated problems with his transmission. It seems like his bike is in the shop more than on the road. I don't know whether this is typical of these particular bikes or not. ;Q