close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

hardware or software issue?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Cochese, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    computer issues AGAIN

Was putting along on my Dell Latitude CPxJ 650GT PIII XP pro SP2 machine the other day when it blue screened/memory stop dumped (for the first time ever since I rebuilt it 1 year ago)

Here is the message:
    [​IMG]

Since then, it no longer gives any error messages and hasn't blue screened, either that or it displays the message really fast then restarts because I can't see it.

The problem now, is it will work for say, 25 minutes, then lock up with no mouse movement/etc requiring a hard reboot.

Then, it will either reboot normally and repeat the locking up process a few minutes down the line, or I will hit the power button after the hard power down when it locked up initially, and when I try to power it up, the power light, the HDD activity light, and the scroll lock indicator and CAPS indicator will illuminate for a period of 3-5 seconds and the computer will refuse to start at all, shutting itself back down.

It does this at random, and is pissing me straight off.

I tried system restore, and it refuses to do it at any point. I also ran crap cleaner and checked for any weird registry entrees with no luck. I installed an activex controller for a GIS mapping city .gov website that required it. The problem started an hour or two after that. Not sure if it was related so I uninstalled the activex controller (at least I think I did --in add/remove progs)

Anyone help?

Bueller?

....Bueller?

:)
    Glocktastic

2. You may need to open the case of the notebook and clean out the dust.Also make sure the fan is running.

3. Cochese

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    I hit it with some compressed air from outside the case. After watching it for a few minutes, the fan did not come on. Would that cause it to overheat and then cause the stop error? Hopefully if I replace the MB, it will come with a new fan, etc...

CRAP! Can't afford this at the moment! #$%^#%^

4. You can try this,it works for some people with that model.These are instructions from Dell,

REmove the hard drive, boot, get the no boot device error and reboot

ON AC POWER

remove the floppy, boot, get the error, reboot

remove the battery, boot, get the error

enter the bios

sit in the bios for 30 seconds (why i do not know)

Exit the bios

reinsert the devices one at a time in the order you removed them (hd first)

5. Cochese

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Are you going to pop out of the bushes and point and laugh at me if I actually try this?

;a

Where did you find these instructions? Can you post a link for me. I don't fully understand them...

Thanks!

Glocktastic

6. I copied it directly from Dell tech support.Seems like most people fix your problem with a motherboard replacement but removing the devices like this will solve the problem more than 50% of the time.I'll try to find the link again.

7. Remove the devices one at a time and start the PC after each one is removed.It says use AC power because you will be removing the battery.(Unplug the AC power when you are removing the drives.)Then boot to the bios,wait half a minute then exit the bios with no changes.The the bios should rediscover the drives when you reinstall them.

8. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

May 7, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    I thought the same thing until I saw DC posted it.;f ;f ;f

9. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

Jan 28, 1999
    KY
  10. Cochese

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Update...

That fangui is sweet! The freezing issue has reduced but is still occuring. I have recieved two new stop errors:

1. STOP: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0x0000000A (0x7EF000AF, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0X804DC110)

2. WIN32K.SYS - ADDRESS BF81090F base at BF800000, DATE STAMP 422511A2

0x0000008E (0XC0000005, 0xBF81090F, 0xF66B1BC4, 0X00000000)

Help!!!!!

11. The first one can be software or hardware.Can be a conflict.Some anti virus programs cause this.

The second is related to memory access and is normally caused by a driver issue.

# A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.
    # A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.
    # If you encounter a Stop 0xA message while upgrading to Windows XP Professional, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP Professional, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates. For more information about simplifying your system for troubleshooting purposes

It may because you laptop didn't come with XP originally.If it just started it might be from an update or failing hardware.

Firmware in CD drive,Audio or video drivers.

You may need to flash to a later bios version.

A failing motherboard seems to be at fault mostly in that model but it might not be that.You can still try a few things.

12. Almost everything points to a memory problem but that could also be the motherboard.Maybe check that the RAM is fully seated.

13. If the fangui helps then it may be heat related.You should clean it out and see how it works.

14. Cochese

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    DC, I appreciate the help so far. I reseated the RAM today after attacking the computer with compressed air. Right after I attempted your process above, utilizing the BIOS, resetting and removing the HD/CD drive/battery... I hope I don't have to buy another MB. Arrrg!

15. Cochese

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Yep... I tried that and it said I had the newest BIOS available and told me it would not be installed.:(

Should I test the memory somehow?