close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hard drive info please.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by XBFLAT, Dec 16, 2008.

1. XBFLAT

XBFLAT Wayward member

Nov 26, 2005
    Surrounded by idiots
    I have two HD's on my puter. I want to copy (not transfer) all data from one to the other. Do I have to get software to do that?
    C: drive is 30G, F: drive is 80G.

Can I do it without spending any money?

Thanks.

2. problem with xcopy is that there is a 8-bit limit... so if you have long filenames, they will get truncated on the destination drive.

What are you copying for? Is it purely for backup? Why not just do a drag & drop?

3. XBFLAT

XBFLAT Wayward member

Nov 26, 2005
    Surrounded by idiots
    I want to copy everything from C to F just incase something should happen to the primary. I don't use the other drive at all. It's got some data on it, but not much.

Drag and drop? Could I do this, but more importantly how?:dunno:

4. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Sep 3, 2008
    Data - you can just copy and paste
    If you're trying move programs and Windows, yuck.
    I'd prefer not to do it.

Cost of programs could be spent on a new hard drive and you could do a fresh install.

Otherwise, I'd say get a program that can make and resize partitions and another one that could ghost the first drive.

5. XBFLAT

XBFLAT Wayward member

Nov 26, 2005
    Surrounded by idiots
    Mainly I want save my favorites, doc's, pictures, music etc. so if something should happen to the C drive, I can transfer those folders back to the new one.

I'm not exactly computer illiterate (close), but I've never done this before.

Thanks for any suggestions.

6. just fire up windows explorer and highlight the files. Copy it (ctrl-C or use the right-click menu options). Go to the destination drive/folder and paste it (ctrl-V or use the right-click menu options).

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I've backed up like this for years, never a problem. Backing up entire programs, has never worked well for me.

8. XBFLAT

XBFLAT Wayward member

Nov 26, 2005
    Surrounded by idiots
    Thanks guys. The copy and paste worked great.

9. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    You can also use RoboCopy - Great App, and now there is a GUI for it as well...

Lots better than XCOPY, and faster that drag n drop...

Check it out... it is a free MS utility!