close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Happy day, finally got a garand!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ctfireman, May 9, 2012.

1. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've always wanted one & today was the day. It's a 1942 springfield / HR (HR trigger & safety). The metal is gonna be refinished & i'm ordering a new stock. Some may disagree with refinishing but i have a vision for this rifle. I traded a mossberg 500, walther p22, & $200 for it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2012

2. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Welcome to the Club. While I am a "Sunday Purist" Garands were meant to be used and the military didn't mond refinishing them and mixing parts so why sould the owner today?

3. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Congrats on owning a great piece of history.

4. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    I like the way it looks "as is" but I can also understand you wanting to put it back in New condition too. Congrats.

5. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    Anywhere that you guys recommend to order a brand new stock from? Newly manufactured is fine. CMP maybe?

6. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler

Sep 13, 2011
    Boyd's gun stocks. Quality is good but you might have to do a little custom fitting. It's really not a big deal.

7. CMP with new hardware. That way you can just swap it out. Some of the best stocks are from Dean's Gun Restoration, but you pay more for it. There are a couple places that will fit the stock as well. If you buy a Boyd's stock you WILL have to do work on it to make it fit properly, and the finish on them is not that good either. I've finished 2 Boyd's sets and a cmp set, the cmp was a lot easier.

8. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

Jan 25, 2008
    New England
    Awesome grab.

How does the erosion look (the muzzle can be informally tested by inserting a bullet...should not fully enter muzzle)?

I bought a '42 Springfield Korean War buy back 10 years ago and the muzzle was so thoroughly worn out from getting sawed back and forth with steel cleaning rods it looked like a smooth bore. Wouldn't hold all its shots on a paper plate at 50 yards.

I sent it to Fulton Armory and they screwed in a new barrel and she was back in business.

9. You're talking about muzzle erosion. The best way to do it is to check a new barrel with the cartridge and mark it at that level, the farther in the bullet goes the more shot out it is. There is a chart for the US M2 ball round that details how much wear per 1/16th of an inch, but due to variations in bullets it's only accurate for USGI.

One thing to note, some rifles were counterbored, the muzzle was drilled out larger due to wear on the bore. In some cases the crown was damaged due to improper cleaning-in my case I've filed down the muzzles of a couple M1 Garands then recrowned them and it gained some accuracy as well as exposing a tighter bore.

10. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    It took me a long time to get my Garand so I know how you feel. Congrats on your new rifle!

11. I cant wait to get one! Probably go cmp route but that scares me. Hoping I can find one locally instead.

12. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Congratulations on the purchase of your new M-1 Garand. Be careful. They multiply. I know what I'm talking about. I once put two SA M-1's in a gun cabinet. Less than a year later... there were five more! Shazam! Who'd have thought it!

13. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT

I was gonna go CMP but i too was scared of buying it unseen. This one worked out really well.

14. that's exactly my dilema also, so I'm crossing my fingers I can find a decent one locally.

15. JD_19x9

JD_19x9

Apr 23, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Beautiful Garand! Congratz and enjoy...

16. Ford302Glock21

Ford302Glock21 Chrome Horsie

Dec 3, 2004
    Orlando FL
    I'm not gonna get my panties in a bunch but at least on my phone it looks great just like that. Looks a lot like my 43 spring. Yes the military refinished them and then it wore right back off lol. Actually have my ww2 garand book in my backpack right now for reading material at work.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine