close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Handloader or Reloader?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by marvin, Aug 18, 2010.

1. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

Mar 26, 2001
    greentown ind.
    i've always seen these as two differnt things. a Handloader does everything likes it's life or death. you know they weigh every case and powder charge, clean primer pockets, sort bullets, try every primer made looking for the one that gives tenth better group.

then the reloaders, they find a load that works and stop there.

i'll be the first to admit that for the most part i just fill the hopper, fill the primers, throw some brass in the loader and go to town. i only check the powder measure when i first get started, only chamber check the ammo when i have a large match coming up. i don't put the ammo in an ammo box, just throw it in to a coffee can.

so are you a reloader or a handloader.

2. Glockin26

Glockin26

Feb 22, 2010
    Renton, WA
    Reloader trying to save money instead of shooting crappy factory loads.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010

3. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Jan 24, 2004
    Midwest
    I'm a reloader on all my handgun and many rifle loads. Those rifle loads where accuracy is key, I batch load and do all those things you would consider a "hand loader" to do.

4. Daryl in Az

Daryl in Az Enjoying life!

Aug 31, 2007
    Lost
    I've always sorta seen the terms as:

Reloader means someone who loads their own to save money.

Handloader means someone who loads their own to make better-than-factory ammo that suits their firearm and their needs better. Money savings is just an added bonus.

Daryl

5. tjpet

tjpet

May 14, 2001
    Utah-Idaho border
    The terms are interchangeable. Neither conotates quantity or quality to me. That depends soley on the individual in question.

6. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    ^ Bingo

Jack

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Handloader is someone who uses a hammer to reload his ammo.
    Legloader is someone who a Lee Hand press to load bigger cases.
    They are all reloaders.

8. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Reloader/Handloader... six of one... half a dozen of the other.

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Little Stevie tried to make a funny... FAIL

Jack

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I didn't want to stray from the essence of this thread. I thought we were all just making crap up and I hate to be left out.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  11. I'm definitely a reloader. Bought a press, made a box of ammo with different powder charges, picked one that felt best, and this is my recipe from now on. I may change to a different powder eventually though, getting tired of Unique's measuring like wet sand.

12. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Mar 26, 2009
    Spencer Indiana
    Jack has free government brass and also gets lead free so that makes him a freeloader !

:tongueout:

Bob

13. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Some of us are just smarter and innovative than others... and how much do you pay for your brass and lead again?

Think I'll have a scotch and roll in a few hundred pounds of .45 brass. :whistling:

(Bet it'd be more fun rollin' around with a woman. :crying:)

Jack

14. D. Manley

D. Manley

May 30, 2005
    Southern US
    I guess I'm a "handloader" on those rare occasions when I use new brass....:supergrin:

15. BlayGlock

BlayGlock

Feb 18, 2010
    Texas
    By that definition I am a reloader then. I find a load that works fine and just shoot it. Im not a bullseye shooter.

16. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    All right. I'll be the first to say handloader by your definition.

If I'm going to screw around with it, why not make it the best it can be? I don't spend time brewing beer so I can drink a crrrz laaat at the end of the day. Why should loading be any different?

Then again, I shoot more rifle than (I think) a lot of folks here...

:dunno:

17. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

Mar 26, 2001
    greentown ind.
    i came up with this while talking with a buddy that go's to extreme's with his custom .308, he has used every trick he has ever heard of to get the most out of his gun. and i most say that it scary accurate(most of his groups start with .2 or .3)

but i'm an IPSC shooter who it more interested in reliablity and cost. when i first started reloading .40 i used a lot of Vit 340. then my borther gave me 16 pounds of green dot, well it was free so i started using it. then i found out that i could go to the Star bullet company and get their 2nd bullets for 40 to 45 per thousand. they closed a few years ago and it's done more to hurt the amount that i shot than any other thing.

i'm sure that there are loads that are more accurate but over all this load works pretty darn good. i did switch to universal clay when i got a good deal but when that ran out i went back to GD

18. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

Mar 26, 2001
    greentown ind.
    this is the one area that might change me. i load a lot of .223 with 55 grain fmj's, groups run from 1.5 to 2.5. but i got some 69 smk and came up with a load that worked better than i thought it would, so i tried to get better groups by sorting the brass and triming. cut the groups some but not as much as i hoped.

19. deadhawg

deadhawg

May 7, 2008
    California
    I handload rifle rounds for best accuracy. I trim every case to the same length, weigh each charge, I use the best bullets money can buy, among other things.

I reload pistol rounds to save money. I never trim cases. I use a powder measure to drop charges. I buy plated or lead bullets in bulk. I've been using the same .45 acp recipe for years.

So does that make me a handreloader?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  20. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    :supergrin:

Yeah, it depends on where you're drawing the line. I don't trim pistol brass, I do sometimes trim brass for revolvers to get a more consistent roll crimp. I don't clean primer pockets for any handgun and it probably doesn't make any difference when I do it for rifle rounds. I will uniform flash holes on .44 mag, because I shoot it through a lever gun and treat them like rifle rounds.

The lines are pretty blurry, so who knows?

:dunno: