close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Handloader Magazine - DAyum!!!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Zombie Steve, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    I picked this up in a grocery store in Montana figuring I still had 12 hours of driving to go...

I liked the mag, but I thought you guys would enjoy a few things from an article on cast bullets in the .44 mag.

First pic - The caption for this photo says "Even after extended shooting with cast bullets, the only sign of leading in this .44 magnum revolver was a thin wash in the forcing cone."

[​IMG]

I'm guessing he didn't look too closely at this picture. :supergrin:

Next - the author showcases the cast wonders he tested.

[​IMG]

If I cast a turd like this 429421, it would go back in the pot. Apparently, the author thought this one was pic worthy.

:pjmn:

Overall, I thought the mag was interesting and may get a subscription, but this article and its photos made me burp up a little stomach acid.

:supergrin:

2. sellersm

sellersm disciplinare

May 28, 2009
    CO
    Maybe the author should upgrade his/her eyeglass prescription? Overall I like that magazine, I get the PDF download electronic version.

3. Ya Jack needs to get int0 Lenscrafters pronto.

4. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Whiskey says those look great. :thumbsup:

5. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Posting from dive bars ain't the way to run the show, Stevie.

6. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Steve,
    I had a subscription for this mag for the last 2 years, not going to renew it though. It comes every-other month and on a scale from 1-10 it's about a 6. Most (but not all) articals are kinda vague. pretty good reporting on most rifle caliber/reloads but really weak on pistol calibers.

Like you said, not a bad read and for additional reference info to keep on the shelf - it's not bad.

7. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    It's not as in depth as it used to be. Brian Pearce is about the only writer worth reading now.
    I think some of the guys here and over at THR are more knowledgeable.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  8. lvl1trauma

lvl1trauma

Apr 7, 2005
    I felt like that was a pretty weak article.

9. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

What issue is that? I got the August issue off the magazine shelf a week ago and that's not in it.

10. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    This was June / July. Been on muh terlet for a spell.

11. freakshow10mm

I missed that one. Got the previous and the August issue.

Was the article by Mike Venturino by chance?

12. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    John Haviland.

In defense of this publication, just about everything else in this issue was done well and a pleasure to read. I just had to crack up at the lead streaked barrel and the poopcast® boolits.

13. country85

country85

Jan 14, 2012
    Greentown, IN
    I've been hunting this issue for months!! I'm jealous just so you know, Heck I went to pick up this months issue and seems this months all stores around here decided not to carry this magazine...:steamed:

14. freakshow10mm

Doesn't ring a bell. Usually Venturino writes about cast bullets, that's why I asked. Handloader and Rifle are the only two mags I can read about guns.

15. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I always have a peruse through it while going to the grocery store or B&N. I've bought a couple of issue with articles of interest for my personal needs. There was a great .223 issue last year that had tons of reference data through it and another for .308

16. Hey Steve for those of us who may be casting soon or just started can you point out the 'poopcastedness' in those projectiles.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

17. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    You can order back issues from the web site:
    http://www.riflemagazine.com/backissues/index.cfm?type=0

Richard

18. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    The wrinkle in the base, the front driving band on the 429421 (Elmer Keith's bullet - blasphemy!) is round... should be like the one second from the left here:

[​IMG]

So this guy was having some temp problems with his lead or with his mold, or both. The alloy wasn't the problem here.

If you look at the first bullet (far left) in his pic, it looks like he started pouring, stopped, then started again (wrinkle in the nose).

Not all mine turn out perfect, but if I was going to publish pictures for the world, I'd pick something looking better than those.