Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Handheld Digital Camcorders - Which One?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jager1, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jager1

Jager1 UtilitarianSect Lifetime Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Looking to replace the family camcorder with something a bit newer.

I've spent time online researching the formats, specs, features and the more I do, the more confused I become. I know what I'm supposed to be looking for (based upon the experts opinions), but it's a bit overwhelming.

Current considerations are:

Cost: Under $400 (Don't need High-Def)

Format: HD or SDHC (or whatever won't be obsolete in a few years)

The Sony's seem relatively easy to use, but the memory cards and batteries seem a bit proprietary to me. And are both expensive.

I was wondering if any of you here have purchased one you like in the last year or so and why?
  2. Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    A co worker bought a Canon SC780 IS and it's fantastic.

OK, it's a 12 MP still camera but it takes 720P HD movies at 30 FPS and they are incredible.

I liked it so much I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have not been sorry. But, it is not a camcorder. Never having had one I don't know what a "true" camcorder would have that this little gem lacks but I think you should take a look at crossover cameras.

3. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

Jan 19, 2009
    Arlington, VA

Hey man. So i belong to another forum.

it's a sports forum for the dallas mavericks. I assume you have heard of them, anyway i remember there were some really good threads about camcorders on that site a bit ago. So i looked them up. Click the links to go to the two threads. I hope it helps a little bit.

Also, i copied this from one of my posts in one of those threads. This is what i wrote-------------------> There is a large article about camcorders comparing HDD and mini disc and dvds...check it out. I bet it might help you. I know i saw a picture of a sony handycam in that article too. in the July 2007 issue of PC WORLD. I just read about it, so i thought i would pass on the word. Hope it helps.

Anyway, good luck, and here are the links.
  4. Jager1

Jager1 UtilitarianSect Lifetime Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, Arizona
    We'll see how that works out.

Thanks for to all who responded.