close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

handgun hunting, stand or still hunt ?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by dieselguy, Jan 17, 2004.

1. dieselguy

dieselguy

Aug 13, 2002
    mass
    this will be my first year hunting deer and black bear w/ a handgun (blackhawk or redhawk)
    do most of you handgunners hunt from a tree stand or still hunt? i do both but prefere to move around a bit to keep from getting bored and falling asleep. i hunt in maine and new hampshire in everything from fields to swamps.
    my father, an excellent handgun shooter, doesn't a handgun is very good for still hunting and jump shooting. i figure i can get a scoped blackhawk on target just as fast as my ancient model 70 w/ an alaskan scope.

now would i be better of w/ a 5.5" or 7.5" barreled blackhawk in 44 mag?
    how realistic is a 150 yd shot w/ a scope and resting on something?

thanks
    -jason

2. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

May 16, 1999
    New Hampshire
    Only handgun hunting I've done has been in Pa and Maine. All of which was stand hunting.

3. revbrown

revbrown useless member

Feb 8, 2003
    maine
    i still like to walk but can't do that much - prolly freeze my junk off in a stand

used 7.5" rugers with adjustable sights - longest shot i would take would be about 75 yds so as not to just wound

wore low slung western style belt and holster to keep gun available but be able to wear a large coat and not have to dig around for the gun

:cool:

4. tjpet

tjpet

May 14, 2001
    Utah-Idaho border
    Glass, then stalk, for the most part.

I'd say at least 30% were animals I ran into by accident while doing something else. Just happened to have a tag in my pocket and a pistol handy.

5. I do both, Have much better luck in the stand than still hunting (probably move to fast, but I do that when I get cold and bored), But I've shot deer both ways. With handgun hunting I hunt the same as with a rifle or shotgun.

I deer hunt with 2 .44 mag handguns.

First is a TC Contender Super 14 with a 2.5x scope on it. I use it when I'm in the stand, it has a sling on it for carrying. I've had 2 occasions where the first shot for the TC didn't put the deer down and I drew the second gun to finish it.

Second is a Ruger Super Redhawk 7 1/2" barrel carried Cross Draw in a Bianchi Cyclone holster. I use this one when moving on the ground. or as mentioned above if the first shot from the Contender doesn't do it.

I think 150 yard shot is pushing it too far for the 7 1/2" Ruger, especially with open sights.

Longest shot I've taken on deer with the handgun is 90 yards. I used the TC for that one.

6. dieselguy

dieselguy

Aug 13, 2002
    mass
    i was just curious if it could do it at 150 yds, if i do my part. i will keep closer to 50-75 yds

7. JimM_PA

JimM_PA

Sep 26, 2001
    PA
    Some random thoughts....a Ruger is an excellent gun to hunt with. I stay inside the range that I can put all my shots on a paper plate from whatever position I shoot. I try to use a rest whenever possible (tree branch, stand support, whatever). If I haven't practiced enough with my hunting loads before season, my effective range may be close to bow hunting distances. I prefer a red dot sight to a scope. If I hunt with a handgun, the rifle stays in camp. Good luck with your hunt, it's a pretty good challenge.
    Jim

8. Good plan.

I don't know your capabilities, but you need to remember that a 30-30 has more energy at 100 yards than a .44 mag handgun has at the muzzle. There are a lot of guy shooting Metalic Silohette at 200 yards with .44 mags. But they are shooting at known distances. The .44 mag starts to loose a lot of steam after 100 yards and the bullet starts to drop a lot.

My .44 mags are sighted in for 50 yards. The 90 yard shot I took the bullet hit about 3" below my point of aim. Since all I could see of the buck was his head/neck I went for a neck shot. The bullet tore through his thorax and juggler veins. Another inch or 2 lower and it would have missed.