close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Handgun hunting - Min. barrel length per state?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by crsuribe, Feb 22, 2011.

1. crsuribe

crsuribe 10mm Auto

Jul 3, 2010
    OH
    Hello!

I was wondering, is there somewhere I can find info on the minimum barrel length required by each state for handgun hunting? I'm trying to decide what length I should order my hunting barrel in, so that it's allowed everywhere in the States. I'm hoping it'll be less than 6".

So far I know WI requires 5.5" so I guess somewhere between that and 6"?

2. Florida = no such law

btw: a longer barrels helps in alot of ways, more velocity and with non-Optics, better sights & accuracy. I would go with the longest bbl handgun that you can find. In my dedicated handguns for hunting ( ruger, TC & sw ) all are over 6" if that helps.

If I could find a 9" bbl revolver used, I would carry that :cool:

3. 357glocker

357glocker

Oct 28, 2002
    NE
    Nebraska does not have a min barrel length. They have a 400ft/lb energy requirement at 50 yards.

You would really have to check all the states that you're interested in. Some go by caliber restriction, some go by case length, some go by barrel length and others go by energy restrictions.

4. crsuribe

crsuribe 10mm Auto

Jul 3, 2010
    OH
    Ohio only requires a 5" barrel and .357 and up for white tail deer. All other game has no restrictions on handguns. And I heard Wisconsin wants 5.5" bbl

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  5. 357glocker

357glocker

Oct 28, 2002
    NE
  6. Va has no barrel length restrictions but handguns must be at least .23 cal and have 350 ft lbs muzzle energy.

7. Va has no barrel length restrictions but handguns must be at least .23 cal and have 350 ft lbs muzzle energy.

8. No minimum here in NYS.

But I doubt you will legally be able to handgun hunt in NYS, if you live out of state.

For auto-loaders holding more than 5 rounds in the mag, I believe the barrel cannot be 8" or more. (I don't plan on getting a .44 mag autoloader).

Barrel max for all handguns is 16".

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  9. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    No min length or caliber in MS!

10. sourdough44

sourdough44

Jul 23, 2007
    WI
    If I was looking for a hunting handgun I'd go with 6" or more anyway,that should cover a guy about anywhere he wanted to go. If I wanted to carry while walking in the woods I'd usually go shorter so it carries easier. I'd go 6" to 7.5" for more dedicated hunting. If I went with a single shot(TC type) break action I may go a bit longer.

11. crsuribe

crsuribe 10mm Auto

Jul 3, 2010
    OH
    Yeah I'm gonna go with a 6incher.