close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hand cranked radio question

Discussion in 'GATE Survival & Preparedness' started by Sniperfox, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

Mar 20, 2006
    Wilmington NC
    I've been reading some of the threads concerning hand crankable AM/FM/weather radios. Civil Defence used to recommend short wave radios for emergency situations back in the cold war era. Are they still useful and if so, does anyone make a quality hand crankable weather/AM/FM/SW radio?

2. JC Refuge

JC Refuge

Oct 8, 2007
    MN
    Shortwave radios are certainly still a viable and important means of communication throughout the world and especially in times of crisis. I'm guessing there are a number of ham radio operators on this forum that can jump in here and offer some advice.

I know there are all kinds of hand-crank SW receivers out there. As an example, a quick search found this one: http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=6173

As to whether there are decent hand-crank SW transceivers, that might be more challenging.

Anyone else aware of some good hand-crank receivers or transceivers?

Oh, and for a good hand-crank two-way GMRS radio/AM-FM/NOAA radio--I'm pleased with this affordable Midland XT511 Base Camp.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011