close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Haley Skimmer Trigger

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by EOS, Sep 26, 2012.

1. EOS

EOS

May 30, 2012
    Central Kentucky
    Im thinking of getting the Haley Skimmer trigger for my EDC G19 and maybe my G21. Does anyone on here have any experience with this trigger system? I love the idea of reduced takeup and a shorter reset basically giving it 1911 trigger characteristics.

2. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    With a Glock's, 'Safe-Action' trigger system THAT doesn't sound like a very good idea - Especially for an EDC pistol. If you want a 1911, get a 1911; otherwise, leave a Glock, a Glock.

3. ken grant

ken grant

Apr 3, 2004
    middle ga.

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Hamrhed

Hamrhed AKs & Glocks

Feb 9, 2008
    Ky
    While I would agree to the 'keep a Glock a Glock' rhetoric, I have been thinking about the HST conversion as well...

I will probably just stick with my Ghost connector for now, but I say if you want to give it a go then have at it: most of the reviews I have seen of Haley's mod have been favorable

5. EOS

EOS

May 30, 2012
    Central Kentucky
    Gotta disagree with you there, the Skimmer doesnt make the trigger pull any lighter just crisper and smoother with less takeup and a shorter reset, and IMO it doesnt matter if the trigger is lighter, if we just keep our finger off the trigger until on target it wouldnt matter how light the trigger is. With the shorter takeup and reset means quick and accurate first shots with fast follow ups And since it doesnt make it any lighter I think its a great trigger setup for an EDC glock. And furthermore, I dont consider the 1911 to be an ideal EDC weapon for my purposes, especially the officers and defender sizes, although I do carry a remington r1 on occasion.

6. EOS

EOS

May 30, 2012
    Central Kentucky
    I should also add that the trigger system uses Glock factory parts so if I get it I am still keeping my Glock "a Glock" no substandard aftermarket parts are used. Travis Haley is a serious dude, and a very reputable firearms trainer who developed this system for serious use in a defensive/duty weapon.

7. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Jan 12, 2012
    Make sure you view the vid that shows the drop safety being compromised.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95151&page=7

8. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    There's a recent thread on the skimmer about 2-3months ago.. Owner says it's not worth it.

9. EOS

EOS

May 30, 2012
    Central Kentucky
    wow, dang it, I was looking forward to getting one but if it compromises drop safety I cant go along with getting one, sucks to, I thought that was awesome concept. Oh well, maybe GT just saved me from dropping my gun and shooting my nuggets off.

10. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    Have you tried other trigger components? Such as connector, trigger spring, plunger springs, etc?

11. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    You mean, 'Arc Angel AND GT'; don't you! ;)

12. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I found one here in the classifieds for my G 21SF and after about 500 rds, I am very impressed. Its no 1911, but it is a damn sight better than the factory trigger. I don't drop my pistols so I have yet to test that potential vulnerability.

13. Kimura

Kimura

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd like to point out something someone else said on another forum, which is that Series 70 1911s don't have a drop safety either, yet people have carried them fine for years. Something to think about.

14. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

The 1911 has other safeties in play as well, i.e., grip safety and thumb safety,

15. I have a Skimmer in my Gen4 G19. IMHO and per my shooting preferences, this trigger suits me perfect. I like the short take-up and the trigger breaks after about 3/16" after it sets. Light crisp break with quick reset makes for some fast and accurate follow up shots. Downside is $160.00 for factory parts is expensive, but to me well worth the investment. If I hadn't shot a friends G17 w/Skimmer I probably would not have made the purchase.

As far as the drop safety goes. This trigger is marketed as a Carry/SD system and a well known guy has put his name on it. With the legal ramifications that could pose a problem, they know what their doing with the trigger modifications. Why put your *ss on the line and say it's a Carry Trigger and it not be safe for Carry?

I guess it boils down to what you feel comfortable & safe with and again the above is my opinion.

Just my 2cents.............

16. fasteddie565

This is how Internet rumors start. I went to the link listed above and read until I found the video. The guy in the video has some sort of aftermarket slide cover plate. It is bright orange and looks plastic, but I have no proof of anything other than that is is not a factory part ('Cause its orange).

Anyway, I tried to replicate the malfunction in my otherwise factory Glock 21 SF. I could not replicate the malfunction, even hitting the back of my pistol with a rubber hammer.

17. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    No internet rumor brother, Robb has probably forgotten more about Glocks than most people (myself included) will ever learn.

As for the orange plate, it's one of the "tools" for the Glocks, useful to help diagnose trigger issues, or more popular to most on the net, is the use to install a Ghost Rocket that requires fitting.

I'm glad you're happy with your trigger, but I would not want a trigger in "my" gun that makes one of it's safeties useful.

As for the person who made the comparison to the series 70 1911, yes they did not have a drop safety, but they do have a manual safety. When you take the Glock drop safety out of the equation what are you left with? :dunno:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=523

This is not an aftermarket part BTW

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  18. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    That orange back plate is a Glock OEM armorers plate made for just the purpose it is being used in.for checking sear engagement. SJ 40

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  19. fasteddie565

I learn something new everyday.
    I certainly meant no disrespect to the Armorer in the video. My point is/was that I could not replicate the error he demonstrated in the video and I was much more "aggressive" in my attempts than he was.

20. Like everyone else has stated, keep a glock a glock. When it comes to self defense simple is better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2