close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Haircuts.

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bolster, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

OK, only marginally related to S/P because you can always live without a haircut. But if we're going to rebuild civilization, then haircuts will be part of the formula--unless you're fortunate enough to be bald, then you don't have to worry, you'll always look cool!

I highly recommend the Flowbee. I make a little checkmark on the box each time I use it, and with a quick calculation, I see that not only have I paid for the Flowbee in savings, but I'm saved back an additional $350 in haircuts so far!

But even better than that...it takes me 10 minutes from the time I think "I need a haircut" to the time I'm done. No driving to the barber. No gay guy rubbing up against me as he cuts my hair (happened once...I got up and left with my haircut half done!) No tipping. No waiting in line. Just hook up and go.

Mrs. Bolster swears she can't tell a difference between me cutting my own, and the stylist doing it.

Cool thing is, if you use it every 3-4 weeks, it looks like you never get a haircut...always looks the same.

OK, go ahead and mock. I love this sucker. I'll be stylin' long after TEOTWAWKI. Trying to figure out how to run it on 12v. I'll be giving solar haircuts after the grid goes down.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Bolster, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter
    Expand Collapse
    Average Guy

I cut my hair with storebought clippers I got for about $25-$35. I replace them about every two years or so, giving myself haircuts every 2-3 weeks on average. The key is finding some way to run it without power :)

I was paying about $15-$17 every two weeks for a haircut. That's nuts!

#2 Nine Shooter, Jun 14, 2012
  3. RedHaze

RedHaze
    Expand Collapse
    Handgunner

It works for first graders everywhere... it'll do come TEOTWAWKI.

[​IMG]

4. Snaps

Snaps
    Expand Collapse
    Hail 2 The King

i have a pair of clippers from walmart. Shave the hair off weekly at the very longest. No guard, but buzz it

5. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

I share my clippers with my dogs, they're nice clippers, and I use a number 2 guide every Friday morning. TEOTWAWKI won't change much for me.

I also have a couple of pairs that run on regular AA batteries that I use when we travel and I would use those if the power goes out.

When we were on our honeymoon (on a motorcycle for 3 weeks) i found a barber shop on Friday to cut my hair. My wife had some serious doubts about what she had gotten herself into and said so but that's how I like it!

6. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

And I thought I was the only lunatic doing this. :rofl:

Last year I found myself waiting over an hour at a neighborhood Supercuts, just to get the same short clipper haircut I always get. I just stood up and said, "F it." I went to a drugstore, and bought a mid priced Wahl clipper set.

My wife was freakin out, but ironically the first time I cut my own hair, it came out great. I clipped my hair a few times since. I never screwed up bad yet, just occasionally some minor issue with doing the back of my head.

You do get a weird sense of pride after cutting your own hair.

#6 Bilbo Bagins, Jun 14, 2012
  7. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

My wife's been cutting our boys' hair since they were small, using electric clippers with various-length guards. Don't recall for sure, but I think they're Wahl brand. I usually get mine cut at a local small barber shop mainly because I can drop in when it's convenient for me & he's been doing it for quite a while. But no reason she couldn't do it if need be; she's done it plenty of times on the kids.

Now, getting HER hair cut; she might let a neighbor lady do it in a pinch, but I suspect she'd never let me do it.

8. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

Word is that Socrates did all of his own haircutting with a sword.

That's why you need to do it while she's sleeping. Practice now!!

#8 Bolster, Jun 14, 2012
  9. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono
    Expand Collapse

Going bald so this won't be a problem much longer for me. I would suggest everyone invest in a straight razor for shaving though.

10. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

Let if know if there are any good guns in the divorce sale! :whistling:

11. Bushflyr

Bushflyr
    Expand Collapse
    ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Millennium Member

#2 Buzz. I think I've had 2 barber shop haircuts in my life. My mom did it when I was little and now I diy. A piece of nylon wrapped around the neck and I always get a nice clean edge.

12. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

Are there not any long-hair hippies in this prepper forum? :) I keep mine short as well. Not as short as a lot of you, apparently, but pretty short. I have only cut my own hair once, and that time i buzzed it off.

13. the Hudge

the Hudge
    Expand Collapse

Hair cuts?
    Yes I am working on the long hair hippie thing as its been well over a year since my last hair cut. Scissors will not touch my head again. To many years wearing a monkey suit, and SOP's dictating my grooming procedures.

14. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

Same here.I'm 34 and have only once paid for a haircut.
    Old barber with a staight razor shaved my head and face.

15. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

My Mom cut my hair right through college then I was getting clipper cuts. I wore hair in my early 40's and paid to have it cut then one day I went into some place in the mall for a haircut and made the mistake of answering "No" to the question "Do you want anyone in particular to cut your hair?" Well I ended up with some flaming gay guy and yes I am a homophobe, so I decided that the dogs clippers would work just fine on me too and I zipped it off. I have never felt better!

16. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Not likely. I've got to sleep some time too, and no telling what she might decide to start trimming.

17. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

You may think your hair looks fine with a guard cut. But it easy to spot one.:wow: But if that is good enough for you then it is. Personally I get mine done every other week by a professional.

18. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

I ask my wife if it looks ok to her and she says yes, me... I don't care, I like it. I have a friend with hair who uses a flowbee and you can't tell that it's not a professional cut.

19. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

The Flowbee sucks the hair away from your head and then cuts it at various lengths. I use three different length guards for my haircuts, a longish one on top, a shortish one on the sides and back, and a tapered one for the edges around the ears and back of neck.

So you don't get the impression it's a simple "bowl cut" or an all-the-same-length cut. The Flowbee more-or-less duplicates what the gay guy cutting your hair is doing, but without the ardent liberalism, hollywood gossip, or sarcasm.

#19 Bolster, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  20. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

The roar of a shopvac or that?

I would take the shopvac.