Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Hair Triggers & Condition 1 ?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by BlackFratelli, May 20, 2013.

1. BlackFratelli

May 19, 2013
    After following your excellent works on the legal risks associated with self defense ,I have a couple of questions related to the topic of litigation associated with "hair trigger" handguns.

One; when carrying a "multi mode"DA/SA pistol like a CZ75 or Taurus PT92,is it best to carry it in double action or is it appropriate to use the factory included ability to carry with the hammer back and safety on-with the specific qualifier that no modifications to the trigger have been done?
    The risk at hand I'm seeing is of an opportunistic attorney claiming that instead of 'responsibly' carrying with the hammer down the citizen recklessly carried a 'cocked pistol' with its attendant connotations of manslaughter via accidental firing as well as the 'Rambo Gun Owner' shibboleth.

With the 1911 and Browning P35 the counter is of course that they're not functional defense guns if the hammer is down,but that defense does not apply to the CZ and handguns like it which can be fired with the hammer down.

My second question is related to the first ,but consists of a personal dilemma.I own a 92FS Beretta and was officially trained on it when I was in the military ,so in the event I use it for self defense I can ably prove in court that I have some background with the pistol.Because I live in a state which doesnt require a CCW class to get a permit ,there are almost no certified instructors who teach in my area given there's no demand for their services,so getting documented instruction requires a plane ride to a different state. As such ,I don't have a documented training record for my only other handgun,an EAA Witness 10mm.While I have great personal confidence in my ability to safely carry and use the Tanfoglio for self defense,am I better off carrying my 9mm due to my documented record with it?I recently took both guns to my private outdoor range and ran some self defense drills ,with the outcome being that I can ably shoot both under the clock if need be.

Thanks in advance for your consideration,and I look forward to your response.
  2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Welcome to Glock Talk.

A pistol you're documentably qualified with has obvious advantages when you need to demonstrate your competence. If you don't have any CCW instructors locally, consider shooting something like IDPA matches. You can generally find a club relatively near you at Any club running IDPA matches will have at least one 90-shot IDPA classifier per year. Simply write what gun you're using on the qual form and keep a copy.

Your Witness is a variation of the CZ75 design. On the CZ75 design, carrying cocked and locked makes sense if (A) you want on-safe capability for weapon retention reasons (most of these guns won't on-safe in double action mode) and/or (B) if you find the far-forward set of the double action triggers on these pistols hopelessly long to effectively reach.