Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

had a little oopsie at work the other day...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by rudeguy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. rudeguy

Feb 4, 2011
    I work in a non-gun friendly environment. Knowing that management and most of my coworkers aren't gun people, I don't talk about guns or let anyone know that I carry. I also don't carry inside the building since no one knows for sure if its allowed. So every day I lock up my gun in my car and tuck my holster under my shirt when I go into work.

But the other day I was putting on my coat and didn't realize it was upside down. As soon as I realized it, I heard a thud. I looked down and there was a fully loaded magazine staring up at me. I scooped it up and walked away like nothing happened.

But...but I work in a very busy place. There are 50+ people that sit right by where I was. I didn't look around because I didn't want to draw any attention to myself.

So...I am worried. Today and tomorrow are my days off, so I won't know if anyone did see or if they did and told anyone. It was a stupid move on my part and the first time I've ever had that happen.

Thoughts? Anyone been in a position like that?
  2. MoneyMaker

Feb 16, 2009
    Just tell them you had it in your coat as you went to the range lastnight,or prepare another good story as i am sure it was seen and reported

3. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    Why would you wear the holster to work, or anything else gun related, if it is an anti-gun employer?

Use a clip-on, paddle, pocket, or other holster.

Put magazines in the car, or in a zipped pocket.

Keep us posted on your next couple of days back at work.
  4. I dropped a spare mag on the floor when in line at the company cafeteria. Just scooped it up and paid for my food.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  5. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

Feb 15, 2012
    I've found that most people aren't anti-gun. They're just ignorant about guns and have misconceptions about them. (They form their opinions by what they see on TV.) That being said, could any of those people near you tell what that magazine really was? If the issue comes up could you just pass it off as, "Oh, it was only my cell phone," or something like that.

Tell me it wasn't a 30 rnd. AR mag was it? :supergrin:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. rudeguy

Feb 4, 2011
    LOL! No, but that would have been awesome.

It was a 10 round G26 mag. Pretty small. But to me the hollow points looked about 10 inches round when it was sitting on the floor.

All in all it was on the floor for maybe 1 second. But the last thing I want is to be sitting in HR explaining why I had a magazine at work.

And I do have a FOBUS paddle holster but my Don Hume JIT Slide is much easier to conceal and its what I prefer. I always have a spare magazine on me. What's the point of having one if you don't carry it on you?
  7. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    They prolly didn't know what it was.
  8. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005

Play dumb. If someone asks, you don't remember anything of note.
  9. glockpsych

Jan 28, 2012
    Somewhere USA
    I like the idea of preparing a story ahead of time, "I was with a friend at the range last week and forgot it was in my pocket", "I was planning to go to the range later that day and put it in my pocket that morning and forgot," etc. However, don't be surprised if no one noticed or even knew what it was, especially if they aren't gun folks. You might even try telling them that it was your cellphone. ("Gun magazine? What would I have a gun magazine at work for?") Memory is a very hazy thing according to even the best of research. And for the most part people are oblivious, wrapped up in their own thoughts and inner drama. As an example, I was with someone a few years ago, going down the escalator into one of NYC's busiest subway stations at rush hour and he dropped a box of ammunition on the ground that splattered all over the platform. We just kept walking--as fast as we could (how could you possibly explain your way out of that one?)--and no one paid attention or even noticed.
  10. rudeguy

Feb 4, 2011

range ammo or carry ammo? :tongueout:

Thanks guys. I am a worrier, so I'm sure that I am gearing myself up for the worst. I like the idea of playing dumb. I've got that act down pact! :wavey:
  11. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Does your work forbid ammo? Many places that have restrictions just identify firearms or weapons. In my state, they cannot do anything about a firearm in your vehicle. However your state may not have such laws.

For me, I'd just say 'it was a magazine only and the gun is locked up in the vehicle'. However my work is very 'gun friendly'. If you dropped a mag, you'd have people checking to see if it was theirs. :supergrin:
  12. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

Feb 15, 2012
    Or it was your flashlight.

(They don't read the Glock Talk Forum do they?)

13. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Aug 2, 2004
    Vancouver, WA.
    Tell them it was a tazer. :supergrin:
  14. rudeguy

Feb 4, 2011
    I'd love to work in a place like that.

No one really knows what is and what isn't allowed. Our handbook is confusing on the subject. I posted a thread about it on here and it was concluded that it was written by third grade special education students while they were drunk.

All I know is that my car is my property and whatever I legally have in there is my business. What I bring into work is their business. I guess I should get in the habit of leaving the magazine in my car as well.

I wish they did read Glocktalk! My work is very, very laid back. We are encouraged to speak our minds, we cuss, we define sexual harassment on a daily basis. But we never talk about guns. I work in a call center and its not uncommon for customer to threaten us. That is taken very seriously and the police are always called. Even if the customer is 2,000 miles away.
  15. cangler

cangler Republican!!

Mar 3, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    it was your pager... bring back the 90s
  16. First and foremost, never lie. When you tell the truth, you never have to remember what you told someone.

It's a magazine. If someone were to see it, tell them the truth... that you left it in your coat pocket and don't act as though it's a bid deal. That's not a lie. If the company has a policy forbidding guns or any gun-related accessories or components on the premises then your honesty will most likely be accepted.
  17. xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    I was carrying in my shoulder holster one time and when I stopped off at a gas station when I was going in to go to the bathroom I heard something fall on the ground. I stopped and looked to see my Glock mag sitting right on the pavement. No one was around to see it though.
  18. In my facility, it is illegal to carry concealed. I do not push it, since being arrested and unemployed is not a good way to pay the bills.

However, I have been discovered carrying over the 30+ years I have carried concealed.

I am not concerned what the average citizen will do about discovering I am armed. I only worry if the bad guys discover I am armed and shoot first.

I have had shoulder holsters shift and show. I have had pockets that do not fully close and allow near people to see inside. One of my kids saw me draw my weapon when we heard a loud crash in the house (never found where the noise came from). When I was going to make a very large cash deposit in the bank, my boss wanted to make sure I was armed. The secretaries overheard and were surprised I carried a concealed weapon, though they were not worried about it.

I do not worry about being embarrassed. I only worry about tactical advantage and not breaking the law.
  19. Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Perhaps nothing will come of it, but be prepared to answer some questions (just in case).

Personally, I wouldn’t carry any gun related items at work, but that is just me. An empty holster, if spotted by the wrong person, could make your vehicle a tempting target for theft.

20. davsco

Feb 27, 2011
    well within the 5 second rule, so it never happened...