close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Had a bit of a scare tonight...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by slickt0mmy, Apr 6, 2012.

1. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy

Jan 17, 2011
    Ohio
    Tonight was date night with the lady friend. After an evening of Olive Garden (I know, high rollers :rofl:), movies, and helping her little sister with math homework, she was walking me to my car to leave. This was around 11:30, so it was quite dark.

As we neared the car, she gasped a little and said "What was that?" and was looking into the shadowed area on the side of her house. I began reaching for my flashlight and she said "Oh, nevermind. I thought I saw..." and then let out a huge scream and jumped behind me.

I looked back at the shadowed area and saw a large dark figure moving toward us. I immediately reached back for my firearm and was met with nothing but waistline. I had left it in the car after dinner. :faint:

As I reached for my non-existant firearm, I was also pulling the flashlight out of my pocket. (At least I had that, right?) I clicked it on and saw that the large figure was nothing more than a tarp that had been laying in the yard and was being blown about by the wind, about 15 feet away.
    She immediately started cracking up, laughing at her reaction to such a harmless thing. But I sat there basically in awe of how fast all of that happened and how it could have gone terribly wrong had it been an actual attacker (human or animal).

In hindsight, I can't believe I left my firearm in the car. If that were an actual threat, I would have never gotten to it in time.
    Also, like I said, I can't believe how fast it all happened. I was definitely caught off-guard tonight and I'm going to do my best to make sure that doesn't happen in the future.

Just thought I'd share. :wavey:

2. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Aug 10, 2010
    NC

3. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Nov 12, 2005
    Louisiana
    As much as you are tempted to relieve gut-hang by removing your weapon, DON'T DO IT!!!

:rofl:

4. captdreifus

captdreifus aSun666

Jul 24, 2008
    Tempe, Arizona
    Always carry a backup. Gun or knife. Get training in both weapons.

5. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    what was the reason for leaving the gun in the car? can the car use it?

6. Chris Miller

Chris Miller

Apr 1, 2012
    Good reminder for sure. My carry gun is as natural as my wallet. I would feel naked without it.

7. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Jul 20, 2002
    here and there...
    Go back and shoot the tarp later. That'll teach it!

Will also impress said lady friend.... :)

8. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy

Jan 17, 2011
    Ohio
    That's another thing I noticed. I did have my knife on me but I didn't even think to grab it. I always view my knife as a tool and it didn't even cross my mind because right when I felt that my gun wasn't there, my light was turning on and we realized it was just a tarp. If it was an actual threat, would I have remembered it and brought it out? Would I even have had time?
    Probably not to both of those, unfortunately. :dunno:

Coincidentally though, I'm signed up to take an edged weapons defense course on April 15th. Maybe that will help reinforce that I do have other options.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  9. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
  10. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    You need to work on your situational awareness, you should have noticed that tarp following you way before then.

Tarps often hang out in fringe areas, just in the shadows. Often one tarp will make itself known as a distraction, and other tarps will be sneaking up behind you while you focus on the one tarp.

Glad it worked out, but you got lucky this tarp didn't have any criminal intentions.... Should not be a matter of luck that you rely on... :whistling:

Randy

11. KingWalleye

KingWalleye

Jan 6, 2011
    Stand your ground against hoodie wearing tarps.

12. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I only go without my G17 when I am going into places where firearms are prohibited by law (VA Hospitals, Post Offices, public schools, etc.)

13. NecoDude

NecoDude

Mar 22, 2011
    No Name City...
    And of course the GF was dialing 911 while this was going on right?

Glad all is well and kudos to you for posting the experience and taking all the ***** I'm sure you knew was coming your way.

14. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy

Jan 17, 2011
    Ohio
    :rofl:

Nah, she jumped behind me and wouldn't have even had time to dial before I had the light on. We really do need to work out a plan for situations like this though. Thanks for bringing that up. Her and I will have to have a talk about it in the very near future.

And yeah, I figured everyone would be on me for not having my gun. And rightly so! I had started to get lazy about carrying but maybe this is the kick in the pants I needed to get back on track. :supergrin:

15. cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Mar 17, 2005
    The trouble with tarps is that even though they seem superficially fragile, their vital areas are tiny. Most shots simply pass through doing minimal damage. To stop them you have to hit them in the grommets and that's almost impossible to do when the tarp is coming right at you.

Experts have suggested that 12 gauge beanbag rounds are the only thing that can effectively stop a charging tarp.

Because of that, fights with a tarp frequently devolve into HTH combat. You need to have a sharp knife you can deploy with one hand in order to cut yourself free.

If at all possible, retreat indoors or inside a vehicle when you see the tarp coming at you.

16. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    What color was the tarp? Do Al and Jesse need to go there?

17. Every Olive Garden I have been to has no guns signs at the entrance. Many theatres (Regal Cinemas among others) also have the no guns sign.

18. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    :rofl: Now that's funny.

19. maxniman

maxniman

Sep 20, 2009
  20. bulletandgrunt

bulletandgrunt

Jan 12, 2012
    Mississippi
    If the tarp was drinking a sweet tea and eating skittles that would have told you it was an angel tarp and it meant you no harm.