close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

H&K P7 Question

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by NE_Deputy_Dog, Feb 15, 2012.

1. NE_Deputy_Dog

NE_Deputy_Dog

Apr 19, 2004
    BFE
    I just bought myself another P7 (PSP) and this one is in pretty rough shape (finish has lot of holster wear).

I already own one that has been refinished (nickel plated) and one that's in prestine condition. I'm considering something new on this one.

Has anybody ever had one refinished by using DuraCoat or Ceracoat? I'm looking for any input on where to send the gun to. I talked to a few businesses and once I told them that it's a P7 they told me that they don't feel comfortable taking it appart, painting it and putting it back together. They all said that they do not have a lot of experience with this type of gun.

Any input would be appreciated! If you have any pictures of P7's that have been refinished with DuraCoat or Ceracoat, I would love to see them!

2. There is a PSP at my LGS that has been finished in a FDE painted finish. It looks good but do not know what the long term results of it will be.

I have a P7M8 that I had refinished in Black T about 15 or so years ago. The gun has seen some carry and use. The Black T has held up well, there is one very minor line in the finish that is the result of probably close to 1000 presentations from a kydex holster...one of the original Mad Dog Gun Gloves as a matter of fact.

3. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

Aug 13, 2010
    SC
  4. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Jan 27, 2009
    CT
  5. BLau

BLau

Aug 9, 2000
    St. Louis, MO
    I had my P7 refinished by GPI Guns. It was refinished in Socom Blue (which is a blue and black combo). They also textured my grip so it is rougher and easier to grip. It isn't my carry gun so I can't tell you how well it will hold to holster wear. My pistol started with me as a grade B pistol. Now it looks pristine.

6. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I like the hard chrome and NP3. :wavey:

7. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    I have 2 that I am planning to send to Chris at Metalloy for Hard Chrome. I like NP3 as mentioned before, but I am dressing these guys up and hard chrome is the ticket for that.:cool:

8. grecco

grecco

Sep 12, 2004
    philadelphia pa
    I had 1911's and sigs done in cerakote and cerahide by ccr.
    Excellent work, they are a small operation,
    Very good attention to detail.
    The finished product was worth the wait.

9. deadite

deadite Groovy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was done (Cerakote) at:

http://www.customizedcreationz.com/

I just traded for it a couple weeks ago, so I really can't say much about it about long-term wear and tear, but it seems really solid.

Honestly, I was planning to shoot the crap out of it and if the finish started to go downhill, I planned on getting it hard chromed or a NP3 Plus treatment.

deadite

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  10. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Jan 27, 2009
    CT
    Thanks! :)

My P7M8 was refinished by Tripps, but sadly they no longer do hardchrome on pistols. I think the best alternate option for hard chrome would be Ford's.

However, if I wanted to refinish a P7 in black, it would be Birdsong's Black-T finish... without question. :supergrin:

11. NE_Deputy_Dog

NE_Deputy_Dog

Apr 19, 2004
    BFE
    @ Deadite: That P7 is absolutely gorgeous! :wow: Where did you get the slide porting done?

12. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Thanks! It was done at this place:

deadite

13. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Jan 3, 2007
    CCTX
    You want to cover up all that character your PSP has earned?

j/k. I tend to figure if my guns look beat up, I can blame the previous owner, as long as I haven't had them refinished.

What kind of holsters have you found for your PSP? I haven't had much luck.

14. NE_Deputy_Dog

NE_Deputy_Dog

Apr 19, 2004
    BFE
    I do have a few holsters for my P7's. I have a custom IWB holster made by TT Gunleather and a few different ones from CompTac. The TT Gunleather ones start at about $75 and the CompTac start at $60. CompTac delivered in about two weeks while the custom holster obvious took a while to come in.

15. Rick Lee

Rick Lee

Nov 1, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've had one with Tripps's hard chrome and one in NP3. I think Robar is doing hard chrome now too. I like it a little better than NP3 on P7's only. On my SIGs NP3 is better. Any chance you're selling a P7? I'm looking for one.

16. majette

majette

May 1, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    hkparts.net has some for sale, also check cdnn.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  17. Rick Lee

Rick Lee

Nov 1, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    CDNN is out. HKparts only has the hard chromed one, which I love. But I need to sell a gun before I can get that one. I had hoped to do a local trade, but I'm probably gonna have to sell my P220 Carry or USP Compact to finance the P7.

18. NvrenufRR

NvrenufRR "That Guy"

Feb 28, 2012
    Traveling
    I recently had a Kimber refinished in Cerakote, I am not happy with the finish at all.

The look is great, but it wont stand to shooting, carrying and use.

My flats, corners and ejection port are already chiping, the addl thickness greatly increased the tolerance tightnes, so much i had to runn approx 2k rounds through, tear it apart, hone the internals and buy new springs.

I suggest going the Robar, Ion Bond and HC route on the P7.

Mine have been HC and Electroless Nickeled and I am very happy, I wont be CeraKoting anything again.

JIMHO