close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Guys I need your opinion on a Nighthawk T3

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Blaster, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Feb 2, 2000
    Connecticut
    I have been looking for a 5" 1911 that suits me. Never owned a 1911 so this is all new to me. Today I fondled a Nighthawk T3, used in near mint condition. I was impressed. I had a hard time walking away with out buying it.

Darn, I am already thinking about whether or not I will still want a 5" after buying the T3. So what do you think about Nighthawks quality?

Anyone own a T3?

Hmm, now that I looked on Nighthawk's web site and see the list price ($2,699.00) perhaps $2359 is not such a great deal on a used gun. Then the guy said there is haggle room with cash.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio

3. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Jul 10, 2001
    Alabama
    If you want a 5" buy a 5", a cute little chop job will not do the same work.

As the wise man said, "A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist."

4. andy4731

andy4731

Dec 6, 2006
    +1, though I will say that I am do not find the rest of the collection all that appealing. I am sure there is nothing wrong with them, just a personal taste kind of thing.

5. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Feb 2, 2000
    Connecticut
    True, I agree. Yet that cute little chop job is not useless. Just thinking and typing at the same time. I am trying to decide if the T3 will fill the void for the time being and allow me to tolerate the 12 month wait for that "perfect" 5" that I will need to get built to fulfill my requirements.

In a 5" I would like:

Forged quality slide and frame.
    Naked slide (no markings) & no front cocking serrations.
    Lowered and flared ejection port,
    Fit and stake bar-stock plunger tube .
    Match grade Non-ramped barrel and solid bushing.
    Single side safety.
    Extended ejector
    Heinie ledge or 10-8 rear site.
    Tritium tube in Front sight only no white outline.
    No external Mag well, just beveled frame mag well.
    Ed Brown style beaver tail.
    25 lpi High-cut front strap
    Arched Main spring housing.
    Short trigger, preferably solid with hidden or no adjustment screw.
    Trigger job 4.5 lbs crisp
    Obviously all nicely fitted and dehorned for carry.
    Ionbond's DLC Finish. Also referred to as Diamond Black.
    Same finish on Barrel bushing and trigger (stealth gun)

6. jdprew

jdprew

Nov 11, 2007
    I purchased a Talon II (Commander size) performance through 2,100 rounds has been flawless. Fit and finish is excellent I am very pleased and will buy another Nighthawk.

7. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    I purchased an new black T3 and had nothing but problems from the minute I brought it home. My first inclination that something was not right was when I went to chamber the first round and the slide stoped short of going into battery. The extractor was WAY too tight. I had to send it back to Nighthawk. There was NO WAY that this pistol was test fired from the factory with the extractor this tight even though there was a test target included.....If it was, it should have NEVER left the factory like this. When I got it back, it still had extractor issues, not to mention the ejected cases chipped the finish off the slide above and around the ejection port. Totally unacceptable for a pistol at this price point. The T3 is a very slick looking pistol and feels good in the hand, but mine was a total lemon. I have read about others with similar issues. Nighthawk took care of the extractor problems with two trips back to Arkansas, but the ejection damage to the finish continued. I ended up selling that POS, taking a huge loss and never looked at another Nighthawk again....In fact, I sold the other two that I had (that did not have any issues at all) because I was so pissed. Everybody has a problem child every now and again.....My T3 experience was way less than positive.

8. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    I considered the Nighthawk Custom T3 when I was shopping for a non-bobtailed Commander-size 1911, but Crazy John had a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Commanche Special in hard chrome with three fired-in-the-gun magazines in stock at a much better price point. The Baer has been flawless.

Note Bene: Les Baer thinks he makes a better gun by not sizing the full size frame that he puts under the 4.25 inch slide on his Commanche to Colt Commander specifications, subsequently he will not cut them down. He further states that his guns are not designed to "slingshot". In practice, the slide travel on my Commanche Special aft of the slide stop measures exactly the same as on my full size Wilson Combat CQB - .125 inch. As a result, my Commanche Special slingshots like any other 1911.

9. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    No doubt the T3 is a great 1911. I also love Nighthawks in general.

However, I only buy full framed 1911s, so the T3 is out for me.

10. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Feb 2, 2000
    Connecticut
    My problem is that I hear and remember too much. Some tell me that the only reliable 1911 is the original 5" length. Others say no production 1911 runs reliably out of the box without a competent smith tuning it. Another told me Les Bear uses cheap steel because the guns are super tight new and loosen up quickly.

Me I am used to Glocks that just plain work every time. The lines of a 1911 appeal to me. I like the looks. Heck when you say 45 what does everyone think of, the 1911 of course.

Then there is the slimness of the design. A lot slimmer than a G30 or G21. I'm thinking easier inside the pants carry compared to Glock although there will be a weight difference.

Lastly it is darn near impossible to get a better trigger than in a quality 1911.

All that, I think about how many Glocks I could buy for the price and I really don't need any more Glocks.

11. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA

Get a nice 1911.

Buying five or six Glocks instead is just a pile of plastic at the end of the day.

12. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Feb 2, 2000
    Connecticut
    Yup, I want to. I just am having a hard time figuring out what to get. That T3 really looked and felt sweet. I am hemming and hawing about going back there tomorrow and making my first 1911 a 4.25" T3.

13. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA

Have you looked at any other Nighthawks?

14. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Feb 2, 2000
    Connecticut
    Yes, and I called them and emailed them for a quote.

Gentlemen,

I am interested in purchasing one of your pistols. Yesterday I spoke on the phone with one of your staff. Most of the stuff below was discussed but we never talked about price. Can you provide me with a quote for a .45 ACP pistol equipped as follows:

Nighthawk GRP

Naked slide (no markings) with no front cocking serrations.

Heinie plain Ledge site rear, front night site preferably serrated with no white outline only a tritium vial.

Short 10-8 curved trigger. http://www.10-8performance.com/imag...uilderpictures/trigger06_l.jpg&target=tlx_new

Arched main spring housing.

Spare extractor fitted and tuned to the pistol.

Complete Diamond Black including trigger and barrel.

Nighthawk's reply:

The retail quote for the pistol and features you have listed below is $2865 normal build time for that pistol is about 6 to 10 weeks and the DB finish could add 5 to 10 weeks to that.

We are looking forward to building your pistol for you.

Shawn Armstrong
    Nighthawk Custom

15. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    None of that has been my experience. Among my better 1911s, I have 4.25 inch and 5 inch Colts, Les Baers, Wilson Combat and Sig Sauer 1911s, with an Ed Brown on order. All have simply done what they were supposed to do from the day I took them out of the box. To show you how opinions vary, I think Les Baer's metallurgy is better than Wilson Combat's. I also think Les Baer pistols offer the best value among the semi-custom 1911 crafters.

16. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Feb 2, 2000
    Connecticut
    I hear you everyone has a different opinion. Actually I have heard that Les Baer are the best value out there and I remember hearing about Baer's superior metallurgy too.

Does Baer take custom orders to make it the way you want it?

17. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA

Not to the level that Nighthawk does.

18. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    :rofl:

"Some" <-----inexperienced
    "Others" <----- ignorant
    "Another" <----- flat out retarded or ....FAAwrench, if I may?...... Smoking crack!!

The last one sounds like a gunshop commando greatest hits.

19. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Baer is behind the times and needs to stop being so stubborn. Many are trained to slingshot and it's a valid practice. Several other vendors realize this and his is the ONLY semi-custom 4" platform to have signficant problems. Many Pistolsmiths bank on it.