close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Gunsmiths in the Philippines

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Valor1, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Valor1

Valor1 Pro Paingiver

Jul 6, 2003
    Urban areas
    This is going to be one long griping thread and let me start. I’ve always been adhering to good customer service whether buying in a restaurant, calling my cell phone company, dealing with a bank’s frontliners and so on. We have a very expensive hobby. Shooting as a hobby or sport is always expensive. We spend on papers, ammo, accessories and gunsmiths. My gripe is, especially with the neophytes, choosing a gunsmith has been the proverbial needle in a haystack. I used to go to a gunsmith in QC who always tries to make the decisions for me. He is the braggart who wants to be the one to always “know” what is good for your gun. I stopped seeing him after breaking the barrel lugs of my pistol after doing the fitting. He also made an idiotic error in installing the beavertail. The worst thing is, he even charged me for that incompetence. I guess the only time he went chummy with me was when I asked him if I can distribute his parts. I moved on to another gunsmith (a recommendation from a friend). I asked him to build for me another 1911 pistol ( I sold the first one because of the idiot gunsmith). He did well. All the function testing passed with flying colors including fit and accuracy. I asked to build another 1911. He did well again. Then I asked him to plate the first 1911. This is where he failed. The hard chroming was like the one found on bad car paint jobs. The corners specially the area of the frame where the beavertail is connected was still in the white. They actually forgot to plate the corners! I told him that it is unacceptable for me. He told me that it can no longer be replated! If I insist, I will have to pay the replating again! That is really a POS excuse. I told him to return the gun to their platers since it is a back job. He agreed but I’ll still end up paying 50% of the cost.

I really should have listened to friends who had their guns built by Manny Sunico or True Weight, Mang Dolpho, Jimmy Febre, Metrillo, etc. I mean even if these guys will charge you an arm and a leg, it will be worth it. You still get the peace of mind you deserve. You still save time from returning to your gunsmith for complaining on a botched job. I know you guys have your horror stories to tell. I bet there are still good ones. I’m exhausted looking for good gunsmiths. I also wanted them to increase their standards and level of competence. Damn. We get good guns but so much bad gunsmiths. Thanks for listening. Your turn.

2. Had the same experience with a gunsmith in Cubao. Installed my rear adjustable sight , the cut was not straight and after shooting around two mags , the sight went with the bullet.Complained , the smith said the sight was no good , no fixing screw. Got angry , sight re-installed but still the same. I asked for a refund , cannot. Had it re-installed at Reliable Arms , sight tightly secured but still slightly off (misaligned) because of the first "plumber".

Learned my lesson , go with the BOG's recommended gunsmiths , don't take chances on those cheap practicing GUN GONE-smith.;P

3. vega

vega

Sep 29, 2001
    SoCal
    Is that Accurate Arms you're talking about?

vega

4. Valor1

Valor1 Pro Paingiver

Jul 6, 2003
    Urban areas
    Exactly the feeling Hermo. I really hated it when you buy a good part and have it installed by your smith and then he Fu** up the job. Sadly, he won't replace the broken part and tell you sorry. You may even end up paying for the job if you are not meticulous enough. The last gunsmith I had an experience on the plating was actually highly recommended by a friend. It is so disgusting.

I pity more the new gun owners who don't know much about guns yet and employ the services of these machinists (a better term for these gunsmiths who only know how to use a milling and lathe machine).

5. jasonub

jasonub

Sep 28, 2003
    Philippines
    here is one, I was with my smith but was watching my own pistol and insisting on one person to do the job. over my shoulder i heard that someone wants a rear sight installed. it was a dovetailed rear sight of dont know origin. so the other "smith" said its easy, he took the slide and went to the milling machine and cut the dovetail.

he then proceeded to install the sight but the dovetail slot was too small. so he put it back into the vice and without measuring anything. proceeded to cut the slide.

when he was installing the rear sight it was very loose that it slipped thorough the dovetail he cut! without missing a beat he went and mixed some epoxy and put a lot on the dovetail slot and slipped on the sight. Viola its fixed.... maybe for 50 rounds then the person should only focus on front sight since the rear sight will be stuck on his eyes or glasses.

6. Ala eh ika nga dito ng mga kano "You got what your money's worth.";f Another heads Up for the newbies and a reminder stay away from a CLOWN ;e named ART LANTIN and his boyoyong clowns;f ;e

7. Valor1

Valor1 Pro Paingiver

Jul 6, 2003
    Urban areas
    Once we aired our gripes, probably we can make a listing of the "better" gunsmiths and where they can be found. In that way, we can leave the idiotic gunsmiths to their own devices and eventually fold up.

8. Yes, a list would be good.

And while you're at it, who is a good gunsmith for Glocks specifically. Like, in polishing the connector etc. to make the trigger smoother, and in changing the spring/connector to another combo. Sounds easy but to be sure I'd rather a good gunsmith does it.
    And not just a guy who works on 1911s all the time. Thanks.

9. Valor1

Valor1 Pro Paingiver

Jul 6, 2003
    Urban areas
    I hope we can come up with a good list of gunsmiths in this thread. I'm also looking forward to the experiences to be shared by the BOG's on this no good smiths.

I used to go to Jimenez of Final Option in San Juan for working on Glocks. I don't know if they still work on our fabulous Glocks. Try to pay him a visit Ante.

10. jmy

jmy Still Alive Lifetime Member

My former Gunsmith(Name witheld)ran away with my Benelli Semi-Automatic Shotgun.I had it serviced by him and when I went back after a couple of days,his shop was closed down and he was nowhere to be found.

jmy

11. bass one

bass one

Oct 2, 2003
    Singapore
    OUCH!!;6
    Maybe after you guys have made a list someone could make it a "sticky" so that it won't be hard to find...

12. Why Vega , do you have similar experience with them ?

Approve yan !^c ^c

13. vega

vega

Sep 29, 2001
    SoCal
    Yes, I bought my first 1911 from them and I don't know much about firearms then. I bought a bomar site for installation and when you put the pistol against the skyline you could see the gap between the bomar and the pistol. I didnt mind it since the pistol was accurate. Anyways, Jun would back up his warranty.

vega

14. Valor1

Valor1 Pro Paingiver

Jul 6, 2003
    Urban areas
    Who would like to start listing the gunsmiths with whom you've had better experiences? It would help if we can get the address and phone numbers.

15. ogiebb

ogiebb

Oct 21, 2003
    MESA, ARIZONA
    its hilarious that some gun smiths dont use calipers and just rely on their perfectionist(yeah right!!!;Q ) skills.....

16. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    Madami nako naging gunsmiths, if your a beginner, I would definitely recommend Jun Tuason
    Hindi kasi negosyante, he wouldnt do anything to your pistol na hindi kailangan.
    I brought my new stock commander to him for the usual custom treatment
    He asked me if the gun jams and does it shoot to point of aim.
    I said no and yes
    Binalik nya sakin, sabi " eh bakit mo pa ipapagawa? "
    Pahiya tuloy ako

17. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    si manny sunico pala lapit lang sa house ko nakatira (pasig), he is in bgy. sagad.

is this the legendary gunsmith who would only work on STIs/SVIs? o puede kaya ang CZ ko?:cool:

18. Valor1

Valor1 Pro Paingiver

Jul 6, 2003
    Urban areas
    Ok. We're getting responses.

9MX. Nope. Hindi si Manny Sunico iyon. Ok naman si Sunico kaya lang Super tagal at mahal gumawa. Ayaw na nya gumawa today.

One point for Jun Tuason. Ok pala sya. Where is his location and phone number?

19. 1. Mang Dolpho can be reached at Northstar armory (gunrange), which is in the basement of Cinema Square Makati (off Pasay Road, kind of across the street from the Don Bosco chapels).

I haven't used Mang Dolpho myself but my friend Vic Lim (formerly chairman of PASAR and other companies)has, and says he's good, and reasonable.

2. Asked this before but didn't get a reply so will ask again : anybody know of a gunsmith who is good on Glocks (yes I know Glocks are supposed to be easy to smith by oneself, but just in case)? Most of these guys are mainly 1911-experienced.

20. jasonub

jasonub

Sep 28, 2003
    Philippines
    he works on all. its jay pecson of true weight who will only touch sti svi and an occasional colt. same guy who made my sv