close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Guns in parking area of Daytona race

Discussion in 'Florida Glockers Club' started by Dalton Wayne, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    I am going to the Bud shootout this Saturday can I keep my gun locked in the glovebox of my truck in the handicapped parking area, I know I can't have it on me during the race or on the grounds but what about parking? :cool:
    Regards
    DW

2. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2015

Oct 10, 2006
    Duh...
    The powers at be might tell us otherwise, but I think the parking area is an extension of "the grounds" of the speedway. If you parked on another property, you might be OK, but if it is DIS property, that might be an "iffy".

3. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    It is DIS property will be parked right in front of start finish line in the handicapped area. Travel to and from race to home is about 180 miles I just hate to travel without some protection. :cool:

BTW if anyone else is going to be there we will be tailgating let me know if you want to meet up will be sitting at the start finish line a few rows up from the track, have good parking and great seats will have the grill going about 15:00 hrs. :cool:
    Regards
    DW

4. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

Sep 15, 2004
    Gator Nation
    Not sure what you mean by the 'grounds' being iffy. The statute precludes 'professional sporting events'. The 'event' isn't taking place in the parking lot.

The spirit of the statute (legislatitive intent) is to keep concealed weapons out of the stadiums/arenas, etc... during such events, not to keep lawfully possessed weapons out of cars in the parking facilities.

5. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2015

Oct 10, 2006
    Duh...
    Whatever, what do I know...:dunno:

6. VOTIVE

VOTIVE

Jan 28, 2009
    If you can't bring it in, you can leave it in your vehicle.

Same for any other event, government building or where members of government gather, ie hotel etc..

7. brboyer

brboyer

Jun 15, 2006
    Tampa Bay Florida
    As that bitter, clinging, gator lover up there said: 790.06 does not authorize you to carry at the event.

But that statute covers concealed carry on (or about) your person - it makes no reference to carry in a vehicle. So it has no bearing on the legality of carrying in your car.

Now, 790.25(5) speaks to carry of a weapon in a car. Any person, not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms in Florida, 18 years or older can carry a gun in the glove box, console, in a snapped holster, etc. - no license required. There are no restrictions here. (Caveat: There is one statute potentially restricting car carry on school property, but that is the only one I'm aware of.)

So carry away (in the car at the speedway) and enjoy yourself.

8. Parasite

Parasite Resident Cynic

Jun 17, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    am I the only one concerned that you just told someone exactly where to steal a weapon?

9. brboyer

brboyer

Jun 15, 2006
    Tampa Bay Florida
    Yes.....

10. FlaChef

FlaChef Steyroid

Jul 4, 2004
    Orlando
    do you know how many trucks are going to be in the handicapped section of that parking lot?
    probably about 3 more than there are handicapped spots:shocked:and as it is a nascar event one would assume there is an average of 3.2 guns in each (the guy with 7 will balance out the one weirdo without any). However parking is monitored there, and i've not heard of any great rash of break ins.

11. jmiley

jmiley

Jan 13, 2009
    You can't carry a gun into a courthouse or a police station but you can leave it in your car.

12. brboyer

brboyer

Jun 15, 2006
    Tampa Bay Florida
    :rofl:

13. rugerp95

rugerp95

Dec 25, 2008
    thet just passed a law a few months ago that covers this if you have a ccw permit you can leave you gun in your locked car
    www.myflorida.com check the statutes it was called
    guns in car at work bill it also covers public access parking lots

14. brboyer

brboyer

Jun 15, 2006
    Tampa Bay Florida
    That bill addresses employment (like getting fired for having a gun in your car at work) issues. It's been legal in Florida for 20+ years to keep a gun in your car almost anywhere in the State - with or without a CWFL.