Guns & Ammo Supports Gun Control

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by shooterinpa, Nov 3, 2013.

1. The issue raised here is the "shall not be infringed" clause. Taken literally, the convicted and the mentally impaired would have unfettered access to weapons.

Since even this place generally thinks that is a bad idea, then "infringement" is accepted and embraced by society and the courts.

So now we are debating not IF infringement should occur, but under what conditions and to what extent that infringement occurs. This is an entirely different discussion.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. :cheers: :wave:

3. You're right, it's all the fault of black rifles. Did you ever hear of Charles Whitman? A sniper who killed 13 people and wounded many more with bolt and pump action "sporting" rifles. Do you think todays mass killers could be equally effective with a couple of sawed off shotguns or 6 revolvers? Glad to see who here is on the other side. Metcalf can suck it.

4. I am going to guess that you are against concealed carry, open carry, semi-automatics weapons, and for mandatory licensing, registration, 10 round magazines and smart guns.

5. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy
    CLM

The 5th column is alive and well on every gun board. Why are you surprised?

6. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy
    CLM

7. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member

Yes, my state law allows me to threaten to kill someone.

Yes, my state law allows me to challenge another person to a fight.

Yes, my state law allows me to blast my stereo as loud as I want.

Laws do not ban behavior. They simply define activities that constitute crimes and create penalties for engaging in behavior.

For example, the IL UUW statute does not say "you will not unlawfully possession a firearm." It defines UUW and tells you when you are committing it. It then defines penalties.

The law is not active. It is reactive.

8. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member

I am a steadfast supporter of the "reasonable regulation" of every Constitutionally guaranteed divine right. HOWEVER, it is rare that politicians on either side of the aisle engage in reasonable discussions about anything, much less the Bill of Rights. One man's "reasonable" is another man's injustice.

In theory, guaranteeing that gun-owning citizens have a certain degree of education/familiarization with firearms isn't a bad idea. I mean, my buddy just did a concealed carry class with people who had never picked up a pistol before it was time to shoot the trainer's rental at the qualification.

In practice, I agree that the gun-control lobby's position does not support my definition of "reasonable" and, at best, is more supportive of an incrementalist strategy toward a long-term firearms ban. Because of this, I will not support 99.999% of their agenda.

I think most logical people agree that those with recent criminal convictions or mental health issues should probably be excluded from firearm ownership. And I think most logical people would conclude that background checks are a solid way of identifying and excluding the aforementioned people when properly conducted. But the partisan polarization of the gun-control lobby's attitude on background checks forces gun owners to be zealots themselves, when common-sense approaches might have been supported.

A polarized political platform does not benefit anybody.

9. So receive no punishments for those actions?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

10. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member

Clean your glasses, bro!

11. Actually he did most of his killing early on with a bolt action because he had the element of surprise but then once everyone went to cover he started with an M1 Carbine. It has been awhile since I read the book but I do believe he killed a few with the carbine.

Also I do not think it was any accident that the GCA of 1968 came about just two years later. Of course RFK and MLK had something to do with it too.

12. With all due respect, I am not sure he used the M1 at those ranges. He might have used it when the police stormed the tower however.

13. He didn't use it against the police. They pretty much shot him on sight. He at least used the carbine to increase his rate of fire to keep the police at bay. I just can't remember him shooting anyone with it but he may have. It has been a decade since I read the book on it and it isn't clear on the internet.

14. Paul7

Paul7 New Guy

I believe Metcalf is from IL, which explains a lot.

15. Don't that on us. He moved here when the magazine moved to Peoria IL. We love or guns. That includes democrats and republicans. Its only the morons in Chicago that hate freedom.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

16. Ahhh...just the type of enlightened feedback that I appreciate. Thank you for taking the time to post an insightful commentary.

17. SmithietheFox

SmithietheFox Stoner63A

My sentiments exactly.

18. So your buddy just attended a CC class with people who never picked up a pistol before......
    Did it ever occur to you or your buddy, that these people were taking their first step in learning gun safety by attending a class?
    I'm glad when I go to a range and see first time shooters. If they look receptive about new information I might offer help. But the fact they are there trying to learn is great. I'm glad they were able to buy a gun and take the time to go to a range and learn to shoot it.

Who do you suggest we put in charge of deciding how much training we need to lawfully own a gun? Maybe a college course? Sarah Brady?

How many trigger locks have you been forced to purchase for all the guns you keep in your safe? Or in a house where you live alone, and want to have a weapon handy?

19. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member