close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guns & Ammo fires two for an opinion piece

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by WarCry, Nov 7, 2013.

1. http://www.connecttristates.com/news/story.aspx?id=968673#.UnwfmflwrIs

Dick Metcalf has written for G&A for quite a while. Now he writes an opinion piece that says the 2nd Amendment is like all of the others - subject to certain limits - and the readers blew up. So, Metcalf won't be writing for G&A any more, and the editor that approved it had his retirement accelerated.

What does it say about the gun community that one of our own - Metcalf's family farm is the site of PASA Park, a stellar shooting facility in this area and host of numerous national competitions - can't express an opinion like this without getting the door slammed in his face?

2. p.d.

p.d.

Aug 4, 2009
    Dry Ridge, Kentucky
    It says actions have consequences. He expressed his opinion, others expressed theirs.

3. Yeah, because any voice of (falsely perceived) dissent must be crushed!

:upeyes:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  4. p.d.

p.d.

Aug 4, 2009
    Dry Ridge, Kentucky
    You can always hire him to write for your gun magazine and tell us to pound salt if we complain about him.

5. Cmacc

Cmacc

Feb 1, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    It says that gun rights enthusiasts have little tolerance for differing opinions than the ones they choose to have, from the writers they choose to read in the magazines they choose to buy with the money they earned. And this particular magazine recognized that if they wanted to continue to recieve ANY of those resources they would have to choose to be similarly intolerant.

PS - please not that the word intolerance in the above statement is NOT intended to be a negative attribute.

6. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Feb 19, 2010
    Third Rock From the Sun
    Business decision. His comments caused cancellation. Cancellation means less revenue. Your fired. Only someone with no financial sense would think that was the wrong decision.

7. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

Oct 26, 2002
    There is no "sporting" use for an AR platform either.

There are CONSEQUENCES for ALL your actions. First amendment or not. Everything you do has ramifications. Period.

He posted his views during a time of high tension regarding the 2nd amendment and he paid the price. Period.

Elections have consequences.

8. GunHo198

GunHo198

Oct 7, 2004
    Tampa
    He's entitled to his opinion. But if he wants to put it in print, and it reflects negativity in the community he writes for, then he needs to write for a more liberal magazine.

9. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Who are you blaming?

Those of us who disagree with him? Or those who fired him?

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

10. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

This is the correct answer in a free market economy.

Regards,

11. Well, the hot thing around here is that anytime an opinion is repressed, it's deemed a violation of the 1st amendment, right? I'm sure there's a few threads I can find that show that opinion.

MY point is not that, however (because I don't believe it). My point is that the anti-gun crowd try to paint all gunowners as "gun nuts". So what kind of fuel do you think it throws on the fire when a "gun guy" (Metcalf has been in the field for a long time) writes a piece like this and gets shown the door?

When moderate voices are shut out of the conversations, what's left?

12. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I just know that if I did something that cost my boss a bunch of money I wouldn't be around for long.

We have freedom of speech just like a penny ante gun writer.

I wouldn't have fired him but that's just me. Unlike some others I value loyalty.

Regards,

13. Metcalf pulled a 'Zumbo' and paid the same consequences.

Amazing that any writer in these trying times would not heed the lessons of Jim Zumbo. I mean come on he committed writers suicide not all that long ago.

War Cry,

I can understand your problem with these firings. But there are times when differing opinions can land you in trouble. We are still under attack and the anti's are always on the look out for a lever to divide us.

"Moderate" in this fight means we loose. Every compromise we ever enter into leaves us with less and less access to our rights.

You might look to your user name! :)

Cat

14. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Feb 19, 2010
    Third Rock From the Sun
    I'm sure this would have went over just as good if some motorcycle writer started opining about how more regulations on sport bikes or Harley's need to be enacted. Or if a car rag started bagging on horsepower regulations for sport cars.

Business is business. Don't piss off your target market.

15. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Try to post consenting views on Democratic Underground and see how far you get.

The message is defined, and delineated, by the medium.

Exercise your rights all you want but don't be shocked when multitudes of those express theirs.

16. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Aug 29, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio USA
    It says that the lesson Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks learned is not lost on others; your alienated fan base need not enrich you.

17. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

Jul 15, 2008
    MS
    Once that editorial was published, it was fuel for the anti-gun crowd. Firing him gives them the least amount of ammunition.

ETA: the 1A is a restraint on the federal government, not businesses.

18. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    “We must all hang together or we will all hang separately.” (Ben Franklin)

I live in NY State. Existing here is proof positive of the above statement. Anyone who does not get the fact that we are under constant attack from all sides as gun owners is too dense for words.

Articles such as Metcalf's gives succor to the enemy. Theirs is a long term strategy of chipping away at the Second Amendment, letter by letter, punctuation by punctuation until nothing is left. Metcalf gave them more ammunition in that fight.

He suffered the consequences.

I feel no sympathy for him nor his editor at all.

19. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Jul 8, 2001
    Texas
    Says we are finally getting our $#^@ together.

FWIW, it was not his opinions that got him in trouble but his false facts and rank ignorance.

20. RGbiker

RGbiker

Oct 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Neither do I, as the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence picked up Metcalf's article to post on their facebook site.

We don't need to feed the enemy!