Gun Vault = Junk

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by FreakyBig, Apr 10, 2012.

1. FreakyBig

FreakyBig Massive Member

Just a warning for anyone using a Gun Vault electronic safe. I have a GV1000D that just crapped out on me after a little over two years. I hate to even think about the situation if this had happened during an emergency where you needed the gun quickly as the safe is designed.

The only thing I got from Gun Vault's customer service was a reminder that their warranty is only for a year and a suggestion to take it to a local electronic store.

I wish I had taken some pictures first, but found some pictures someone else had posted on the net from the same problem and went ahead and tried to fix it without taking pictures. There is a flimsy wire attached to the motor in the safe that snapped. The safe will still open with the key lock, but the electronic keypad is worthless. I crimped down another wire where the original one snapped and it is still not working. I unfortunately have very little skills working on junk like this and even less patience.

I have absolutely zero confidence in Gun Vault after this problem and especially after seeing the cheap construction on the internals. I'll be switching to a more simple and reliable design for a handgun safe for my EDC gun. :steamed:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I had the exact same malfunction, but great service.
    When I took it apart and discovered the snapped wire, I took it apart further to try to fix it. I made it worse. I emailed them and told them what happened and asked if I could just buy the whole "locking mechanism", electronics and all to reinstall. I told them my safe was about 4 years old, and they shipped me out a replacement right away and a label to mail back my defective one.
    While waiting for my new one I did some research and saw how common the problem was and sold my new safe without ever using it.

Just searched. Here's my original thread. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1352414&highlight=gunvault+key

#2 Davegrave, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  3. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor
    CLM

Sorry about the thing crapping out on you, but I've never been a fan of what amounts to a complicated strong box that wouldn't slow a crook down very long. May be a good deterent to keep little kids out of trouble with a gun, but they've always struck me as being pretty flimsy to begin with and for the price, what more could one expect?
    Hope they make good on the fix or replacement.

4. FreakyBig

FreakyBig Massive Member

I have it to quickly and easily store my EDC safely away from my 5yr old. It is not meant to prevent theft, I have it sitting loose in a kitchen cabinet so theft is not a concern. I can replace it if stolen.

Their customer service has already made it clear they have no intention of fixing or replacing it.

5. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

These are very hit and miss/love and hate for people. I have heard great things and bad things like what happened to you.

:50cal:

6. FreakyBig

FreakyBig Massive Member

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the safe while it was working and have recommended them to friends.

I'm obviously not happy with the customer service, but even more important than that is the reality check that these things are far from reliable and should NEVER be depended on for being able to quickly access a defensive handgun when your life and/or the lives of family members are one the line.

7. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I had the same exact issue as well. Luckily it happened within 1 week of purchase so back to the store it went. Look at amazon reviews. The negative reviews are almost all for the exact same issue.

8. WOW:wow: That's very disappointing to hear as I have purchased one about 2 months ago. Oh well I guess I can just wait till it happens or try to sell it. Thanks for the heads up.

9. Same thing happened to me. I opened it up and the design is crap.

They sent me a replacement under warranty.

I absolutely would not buy one.

10. I had one, same failure, out of warranty, too bad, pal.

I gave it away.

11. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Don't have kids around so a gun safe is on the backburner. Thanks for the warning, hope you get yours straightened away without further problems.

12. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good alternative? I'm in the market for something to lock up my nightstand gun and carry piece ahead of the time when my son gets to crawling around.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

13. My safe is my bedroom.

If children are visiting...then i lock the door.

IMO an hd weapon should be ready, not locked up.

14. Mine lasted 8 or 9 years before I had a problem with it.

15. I posted a complaint about gunvault on another forum I am on - just last month...

#16 Shipwreck-The-Sequel, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  16. FAS1

FAS1 GT Sponsor

I can't tell you how many people tell me thats exactly the reason they decided to purchase a handgun safe that uses a mechanical push-button lock. They have proven themselves reliable over many years. I like new technology as much as anybody, but sometimes simple is better. For me, this is one of those. Here's some features of mine. There are others with a similar lock available with different features. You might look at all of them to see what features best fit your needs. Mine is not the cheapest or the most expensive. It currently sells for $219.00 which includes UPS Ground shipping.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcJUGuB35y8"]FAS1 SAFE - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a few details:

Welded construction - 3/16" steel plate - weighs 21 lbs.
    Welded in place non-exposed hinge pin - 3/8" solid steel
    Recessed lid with door jam - pry resistant
    Pushbutton mechanical lock - no batteries, electricity or fingerprint scans
    Spring latch automatically re-locks when lid is closed
    Holster presents gun as lid opens - gun is always in the same place and trigger is covered
    Universal mount - drill holes and mount vertically or horizontally
    Standard and tactical light holster available
    Black powdercoat mini texture finish

MADE IN THE USA - San Antonio, TX

17. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Not to poopoo on your idea, but I had the Ft Knox safe first and found it to be totally useless for a night stand gun vault.

The thing is very heavy, and solid - which is good. But the lock is utter rubbish. It takes repeated pushes of the bottons to get them to unlock the system, and the knob only unlocks one way - if you turn the opposite way it cancels out the combination and you have to start all over again. It's also huge for what it is. We tossed ours in the closet.

I have the Gun Vault on my night stand, and I am no more proud of that. It's cheaply made, easy to break into and doesnt seem to fit anywhere easily. The inside is also very poorly designed. Just putting your EDC in there wil cause the backing to be torn off.

I'm using the Gun Vault for now, since my wife bought it for me. But I will not be buying another like that again.

18. I linked the company to this thread and got this...

Thanks for your input that issue was resolve with the 2011 models we do not use the cable anymore and regarding customers that have a gun vault that was manufactured from April 2005 to December 2010 and has that broken cable latch, even thou the safe only has a 1 year warranty we still cover on sending a replacement one since it is a manufacturing defect.

If you have any further questions please contact us and we could help you out

Thank you for taking the time and letting us know your opinion.

19. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

Very cool, because I like the configuration of the GV product better than any of the alternatives.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2