close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Gun store policy? Am I wrong?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by itstime, Jul 12, 2012.

1. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Here goes. Look in a local ad and they have HK USP40 for $459.99. Police trade 3 mags and night sights.

The pic shows a gun with the safety lever on it. I call and ask if they had any set up for a lefty per chance. Guy says they have 6 and all were the same. Oh well.

I find time to drive a half hour there anyway. The one in the case is a compact and is LEM. Huh

I'm standing there and there is one salesperson and one customer looking at various guns.

I wait my turn and ask the guy if in fact all the guns on question were the same. (full size lever turned into compact LEM)

He goes back and comes back and says they have 12 and were all the same with one in hand that was 5 years newer production date.

I ask if I could look at all the date codes at least and pic from the newer ones thinking the sights were newer. He says why not.

Brings them out and we go through them. They all came in a cardboard box and all I was doing with the salesperson is open the box lift the gun up vertically and check the code.

I had to teach him the codes btw but we were just chatting it up. He didn't care noe the other customer. Good guys btw.

All of a sudden a guy comes out of the back loudly staing I can't check every single gun out and get fingerprints on them. Used police trades remember.

I told him I'm getting one and was just getting the one I want. He says his customers don't want finger prints on their guns.

Now the other customer stated he wasn't buying a gun today and fondled two higher dollar new guns.

No problem there.

I just said you lost a sale and walked out. I really wanted it due to price but that ticked me off.

The rest of the big store had maybe 3 other people in it.

Do you think I was asking or expecting too much? I did ask the salesperson before if it was ok and he said he didn't care. Other people have done it.

Rant over.

2. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    without knowing the layout of the store and other details, I could see a manager getting a tad nervous about a clerk hauling out a "box o' guns" for a customer. My LGS will let me fill the counter if the place isn't busy, but they know me real well.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

3. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

May 27, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Stuff like that really gets under my skin, I'd have done the same thing. No big scene, but no sale and I wouldn't be visiting them again.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

4. WOW!! Used guns with no fingerprints in a box. Wonder who cleaned all those guns? :whistling:

I like your style.

5. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    There are a lot of gun shop owners/managers that are ****** bags out there that I've noticed. If I were you I would never go there again and move on with life.

6. tazbigdog

tazbigdog

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like the guy was pissed. Who cares, if it was a great buy, buy it and don't go back. Good luck!

7. garya1961

garya1961

Mar 17, 2012
    NC
    this +1

8. fairtomidland

fairtomidland

May 17, 2012
    I have noticed the same, its hard to even get service when im def buying. I agree dont buy move on...

9. garya1961

garya1961

Mar 17, 2012
    NC
    There is a guy at a local shop I go to that I thought was really stuck up, not friendly at all. I said something to a LEO friend of mine and he told me the guy was hard of hearing,lol. I wear hearing aids myself and since I discovered he couldn't hear we have become faily good friends.

10. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

People suck.

It's America....CS is foreign to most businesses these days. Just be thankful that they spoke English. THAT is becoming foreign as well.

Good luck out there! :supergrin:

TGG

11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    :rofl:Good post.

12. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    Gotta agree with that!

13. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    The guy was a dick. But, I wouldn't want all of those guns out like that either. It's a common way to steal things. People do it all the time in jewelry stores. It distracts the clerk and allows the thief to drop one in a backpack, pocket etc.

14. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    Understood but these are pistols not tiny tiny pieces of jewelry that can be balled up in the palm of someone's hand. I don't know exactly know how the situation went down but if the clerk let him look at a HK one box at a time while the others were on the ground/desk behind him I don't see what the big deal is...

I own a store myself and understand you're perspective.

15. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    It seems to me that the manager/owner that came from the back wasn't looking at it from a loss point of view, so the OP is right, the guy was a hump. You're also right that is it was done right, theft would be pretty tough to pull off. The manager could have come out, and kept an eye on things and made sure only one gun at a time was on the counter etc.

I'm just saying if I was the manager, I wouldn't want a box of guns spread out on a counter.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I wouldn't have spent my hard earned money at that joint either, and I don't care how cheap the damn used guns are.

I've had a bunch of guns laid out in front of me for inspection before purchase. They were all brand stankin' new too.

17. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Texas
    I would have walked out too. I wouldn't spend a penny there every again. Unless the OP was eating some greasy nachos while handling the guns, I don't see the big deal. It would take all of five minutes to wipe the finger prints off of the guns. I think I could take five minutes out of my day to wipe them if it means I made a sale.

18. Mr. Blandings

Mr. Blandings

Jun 20, 2001
    Florida
    I worked in a few different FFL retailers and always provided the customer the pick of the litter with batches of trade-in guns.

While I, or the owner, sometimes had the "Gosh we spent a lot of time making that sale" thought - it was just considered part of doing business.

I have known some FFL retailers who are not so accommodating. Some of them run very successful business, and others not so much so.

19. panzer1

panzer1 NRA MEMBER

Jun 10, 2006
    p.a.
    No way would I buy it. Why give this guy your money if he is going to be an a-hole! Sorry not me. I would pay more some where that I am not talked to like a dirt bag if that what I had to do.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  20. panzer1

panzer1 NRA MEMBER

Jun 10, 2006
    p.a.
    Well that's not the buyer's problem is his salesman. If he had a problem with it he should have pulled his salesman a side & said something to him NOT THE BUYER! IMO.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012