close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun show loop hole??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Psychman, Dec 19, 2012.

1. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I have never been to a gun show that Didnt have private citizens selling from their reserved tables. Its not like spotting bigfoot or something. :dunno:

2. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    You can ask, and you can require them to sign a statement to that effect. Also, if they have a CCW they're unlikely to be prohibited. In the end, though, if you don't think they are legal it's up to you to not sell.

3. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Long Beach California.
    Yeah, but you are in the rebel south. :wavey::supergrin:

4. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Sorry son, but demanding "evidence" like you're doing is silly.

Read and watch the news. Talk to people you know, ask them what they think. Talk to people at work, as them what they think. Call your elected officials and ask them what messages they are getting from their constiuents.

There's nothing scientific here, just over-all impression.

5. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Long Beach California.
    I thought the same thing about the election. Everyone I knew was voting for Romney and look how things turned out. Your are basically presenting anecdotal evidence.

6. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    No, Facebook ninnies don't count. I'm talking about real people in face-to-face conversations. People you know who were pro-gun before CT and are anti now.

7. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Spring, TX.
    Feinstein, McCarthy and a group of other nut bags put up anti-gun legislation every session.

8. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    "The news" is not a good source. As I said, everyone I talk to is still pro-gun.

Your "over-all impression" is not worth very much, frankly. That's why so many of us reject "feelings" as a basis for decision making, "Dad". ;)

9. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Ture. I hope I am wrong. We'll see.

It's not about who is pro-gun and who are anti-gun. It's about who calls and writes letters and e-mails their elected officials. It's about votes in our legislature.

And yes, I've had face-to-face conversations with people. People that were on the fence, didn't care, and are now driven to contact their elected officials and pitch a fit.

It's not about "pro-gun" becoming "anti", that pretty much doesn't happen, and the world is not strictly black and white. It's the millions and millions of people that basically could not care one bit about guns, until something like this happens. Those people represent a far larger portion of the voting public than those that are either pro or anti-gun.

Those are the people that can really ruin things for us, and they are freaking out about guns right now.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  10. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Mar 14, 2006
    Breaking the law in CT

are you asking what is required legally?

I can't speak for every state, but here in Colorado, as a seller I must have "no reason to believe the buyer is a prohibited person" and also must be a resident of the state. The FTF transactions I have done here (and I've done dozens) I have actually asked at the time of meeting "Is there any reason that I should question your suitability or are you federally prohibited from owning a firearm? And are you a current resident of the state of Colorado?" Legally, that is all that is needed from me. If the buyer lies, he has committed a crime, not me.

In other states that I have lived, there have been other requirements. In MA, I could only sell to a person who has possession of his CCW/LTC/FID and there is a state form (unofficial registration) that needs to be filled out and sent to The Criminal History Board (because in Mass, gun owners are criminals)

It's been years since I lived in MI, PA, OH and FL so I don't recall actual procedures

11. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Not feelings. Impressions and feeling are two very different things.

And the fact that the people that you talk to are "still pro-gun"? That means that they were "pro-gun" before all of this crap. Those types of folks aren't the concern.

You need to understand that the voting population of this country is mostly made-up of people that couldn't give a **** about guns. Just don't care one way or another, aren't interested in guns. Your view-point is very myopic, and narrow, as is your circle of friends, evidently.

The problem is the millions and millions and millions of people that don't care one way or another about guns normally, but are now really pissed and demanding action from their elected officials.

People you don't seem to understand actually exist.

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    OK, believe whatever you want, but I doubt you'll convince many intelligent gunowners to compromise on this issue.

13. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Yeah? So?

No one has listened to them in the past, because everyone knew they could not get the votes to pass anything. Things have changed now, and it's time you understood that.

I'm willing to bet they have the votes right now, right at this very moment, to pass anti-gun legislation.

But if the "Fiscal Cliff" stuff takes up all of their time, focus and energy, we might get really, really lucky, and this might blow-over.

Plus, Obummer has "appointed" Uncle Joe to head-up the administrations new policy reccommendations, and the time that it takes for Uncle Joe to figure suff out might also save us.

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Thankfully it won't be up to what you think are "intelligent gunowners".

As is plainly obvious, being "smart" means little when we're actually talking about politics, which is it's own little universe of intellignece and cunning.

"Intelligent gunowners" pretty much don't fall into that catagory.

15. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009
    SWMO
    To the OPs question...private sellers sell in the show and out in the parking lot. From my visits to guns shows, I know it's anecdotal, they have to complete the form....however, the private seller doesn't.

My personal process when selling to an individual is to ask if they are lawful to purchase/own a hand/long gun. If they respond yes, then I ask for their name & DOB. If they don't want to provide...I don't sell. It's my choice.

:wavey:

red

16. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    You dont need a "gun show" to do a "person to person" private gun sale which is at the heart of the gun show loophole debate.

If we ban gun shows, people will still use the internet and newspapers to advertise their personally owned firearms for sale. They just meet at a parking lot or something, exchange cash and guns...and off they go. (Ive done this several times as a buyer and seller)

Here in Vegas it is the sellers responsibility to ensure the buyer is a Nevada resident and thats were the sellers responsibility ends.

The buyer has no legal obligation to prove anything but state residency, usually just a drivers license. (for a long gun) Hand guns must be registered by the owner within 30 days but thats on the buyer not the seller.

This is how felons, illegal aliens, folks with restraining orders, folks with mental issues, and bad guys in general get guns. At least thats the argument.

This is the one sore spot I have with our beloved sport and hobby and livelihood. I dont have a good argument for this fact other than "I dont want a paper trail". And that opens a whole different "negative" debate unfortunately.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  17. Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad woof, woof

I love my guns as much as anyone on here, but I'm sorry, defending (or hiding behind) BS laws like this makes us look like we just don't care who gets a gun.

Just met some stranger and he signed a piece paper telling you he's not a felon? Hey, great. I feel better already about our chances in the court of public opinion.

I mean, he signed your piece of paper, right? Felons never lie about stuff like their criminal history to get what they want, do they?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
    Yes. As a private seller, I've been setting up a table at the local gun show off and on for years. All legal.

19. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    uh-huh...

20. frank_drebin

frank_drebin 1-man flash mob

Jan 15, 2009
    In which mass shooting did the perpetrator obtain his guns using said loophole?