close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Show Ammo???

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by G19noob, Jan 17, 2012.

1. G19noob

G19noob
    Expand Collapse

I've never been to a gun show, but a lot of friends are saying that bulk ammo is cheaper? What are your guy's experiences?

I can buy 9mm 100rds at Walmart for $20...500rd $100

Thoughts?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 G19noob, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Millennium Member

Stick with Walmart.

3. CheddarB

CheddarB
    Expand Collapse

my personal experience is that you might be able to find some sort of deal on ammo at a gun show but they are few and far between, usually the only deals worth having are at the Ga-Arms booth.

4. TxGlock9

TxGlock9
    Expand Collapse

It's nothing you can't buy bulk online...

5. moishlashen

moishlashen
    Expand Collapse
    Senile Member

My thoughts exactly. Now ammo cans-thats the place to get em :supergrin:

6. bustedknee

bustedknee
    Expand Collapse
    Curmudgeon

A lot of the sellers will have the 100-rd boxes they bought at Walmart - - - marked $32!

People thinking they can get better deals at gun shows buy it.

You know anyone like that? :animlol:

It is a sad fact but many people go there with money in their pockets and they are going to buy something!

If we all did our research and only made offers on things we knew the true value of, gun shows would be a thing of the past.

7. TxGlock9

TxGlock9
    Expand Collapse

did someone say ammo can?

357sig glory droooool

[​IMG]

8. michael e

michael e
    Expand Collapse

Some times you can find ammo for good prices. It is hit or miss. We usually have one company that has good deals but they run out early on saturday, and remember when you buy 5 or 10 cases of ammo that crap gets heavy fast. During the ammo shortage I bought 10 cases, luckly they let me use the dolly for a few mins.

9. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

I've found that Internet ammo sources are cheaper than gun show dealers, even when shipping costs are figured. If buying in sufficient quantity some Internet deals offer free shipping.

I bought ammo only one time at a gun show, when a factory rep working for a boutique manufacturer was selling product at a price I couldn't find anywhere else.

The premium JHP self-defense ammo I picked up at the show has shot just fine so I count myself lucky, although I haven't seen the rep in the last three shows that have come through my area. I think that was a promotional visit and I'm glad I took advantage of it; but aside from that one time I buy all my JHP self-defense ammo (and a lot of bargain FMJ range ammo) online. In a pinch the local Wal-Mart prices are not too bad for range ammo.

10. Chuche2

Chuche2
    Expand Collapse

At the New Years show in Knoxville I found 1200 round crates of IMI 55gr fmj 5.56 for $310 otd. I bought 2.

11. Anthony.L

Anthony.L
    Expand Collapse

100rds of 9mm for $20 is pretty damn good for factory loaded ammo. The only way you are going to beat that is factory reloads (BVAC, etc). Personally I don't trust reloads and pay a little more for factory loads.

Agreed, online is going to be the best price. The only caveat is your need to buy enough bulk to offset the shipping costs.

Here in the PNW we have a pretty steady gun show calendar. To be completely honest ammo at the gun show is more expensive than local shops. Reason being is they have to transport the ammo to the show, and in our case include sales tax in the price.

#11 Anthony.L, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  12. cadillacguns

cadillacguns
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

You get what you pay for, if you get factory loads at the GS, fine. However, if you are saving a buck or two buying re-loads, you have to worry more about Quality control.

13. LovinGlocks

LovinGlocks
    Expand Collapse

Just had the indy 1500 gun show this past weekend and the ONLY decent deals were on ammo. And even then online prices beat the show prices. I picked up 500 rounds of 9mm steel cased fmj for 90$. Put 350 rounds down range the next day with my g19 and 26. After about 100 rounds the mags were so gunked up I could only load half mags. Do your research and pay a little extra for quality brass ammo. It saves time and effort in the long run. As far as gun prices at a gun show... BS! A new g26 was 489.99 + tax. There wasn't a single booth that had a used g26 for less than $550

14. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank
    Expand Collapse

stick with the Federal Champion at $20 per 100 rounds. Its good shooting range ammo and its widely available at Wally World

15. IT0

IT0
    Expand Collapse

I am done with gun shows.

Not only no deals, but rip-offs and I had to pay to get in the door.

16. Ford302Glock21

Ford302Glock21
    Expand Collapse
    Chrome Horsie

Yea I think I'm subscribing to this...Only ammo bulk I would look at as mentioned above is GA arms and mostly just for harder to find stuff like 357 sig or 10mm.

17. frontier2011

frontier2011
    Expand Collapse
    Give Me Brass

Oh I dont know. I have had pretty good luck at GS.
    No tax helps a lot on price.

18. ratf51

ratf51
    Expand Collapse

The closest gun shows around here have become really lame. They are not worth it for the "gun" part. But there is always a Ga. Arms booth and it is worth the cost of admission to pick up ammo from them. (I actually live within driving distance of their facility, but that is still an hour drive.) Also, I find ammo cans cost less at gun shows.

19. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild
    Expand Collapse

The two gun shows I have been to recently were filled wall to wall with junk. Nothing special at all. The ammo was all reloaded stuff for the same price I get factory ammo for. I'm sorry but I wouldn't trust reloads from some goober at a gun show.

20. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

My Wal-Mart is $22.97 for WWB 100s, and then there is $1.61 in tax on top of that. Federal is $9.97 for 50, but...

Online is always cheaper - but I buy 3K-5K rounds (or more) at a time.

By this time next month I should be reloading and the only reloads I would EVER trust are my own.