close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gun oil. using motor oil?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glock19master, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Tempe, AZ
    I also had thoughts of WalterGA thru my head when I saw the title of this thread...

Now where's my Soloman Juice?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Chainsaw bar oil. Thicker than motor oil, cheaper, and stays where you put it when the gun gets hot.

3. spcwes

spcwes

Feb 22, 2005
    Texas
    Man I hate to say this but being an active shooter for almost 30 years now this never occured to me...will have to check it out!

4. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Why bother with Mobil 1 synthetic? Its a gun, not an engine. Just buy some nice thick knockoff dino oil. The crap is designed to lubricate an engine spinning at 6,000RPMs, I assure you even the least effective of it is more than enough to protect your gun.

5. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    OH
    I been using Mobile 1 for years. I was seeing store bough gun oils burning off an AK after running a few hundred rounds out of it and heating it up.
    I used everything CLP Rem oil and oil that came in gun cleaning kits. I started using Mobile 1 it doesnt burn off like the others do.
    Its been over ten years since I bought a quart. I think it was around $4 to $5 then. I use it in all my guns now.

6. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    How does it do as far as rust prevention? Anyone lube and wipe their guns w/ Mobil 1 and put them up for a while?

7. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    How many times have you seen a motor's rotating assembly with rust on it, even after 200,000 miles, when pulling the oil pan?

Your gun is small change compared to what motor oils are designed to handle.

8. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

Dec 15, 2012
    SW Missouri
    That's funny that the Glock armorer said "No grease on Glocks!" because my dad's brand new G22 was absolutely lubed to the gills with some sort of purplish grease. Even the gun shop owner said he never saw anything like it, and that was right out of the factory sealed box. My G26 had a bit of grease from the factory in the back of the frame where the trigger bar rubs against something or other.

That said, I use a quality oil, currently using Nano Oil since the dispenser is so nice.

9. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

Dec 15, 2012
    SW Missouri
    Me too. I use Ballistol to clean/lube the barrel but I use a tiny bit of oil on the lube points. Like one drop total.

10. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nov 19, 2007
    Debris Field
    What's wrong with grease?

When looking at lubrication requirements for various mechanical applications, firearms tic every box for grease, and very few for oil. (other than as an exterior preservative...which isn't a lubrication issue)

Much ado about nothing. Get the acids off the metal (sweat, powder residue), protect it from moisture, store it where little hands can't get to it and your cat can't pee on it.

From both a metallurgical and mechanical standpoint, nearly every firearm made is stone-simple. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. A $99 Wal-Mart Weed Whacker is a far more complex design and more demanding on its lubricants than any hand gun. Just use some basic machine stewardship and get back to worrying about more important topics, like the tire tread pattern on your lawn tractor.

11. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Aug 7, 2002
    North Carolina
    Do you guys really use that much oil that this is a concern? Gun oil is made for guns and it isn't really that expensive. I have over half a bottle of FP1 I bought a decade ago for maybe $15.

12. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Nov 19, 2010
    SC
    I have used Royal Purple for quite a while in my cars and guns. The stuff works great for both.

13. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    That rotating assembly is sealed and not exposed to air and humidity.

Does it prevent rust on a gun or not?

14. cranejc

cranejc

Aug 15, 2007
    The Tardis
    I haven't used it, but why wouldn't it?

15. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Change "rotating assembly" to lifters, rockers, intake valves, valve springs, etc. and ask the same question.

16. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Uh, what?

You ever broken a motor open after it sat for years with no good oil in it?

I say broken, because, well....thats about what happens with the bolts at that point. :rofl:

Yes, it prevents rust on a gun. Very well.

17. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    Ok. Thanks. :wavey:

18. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    The valve train is housed under the valve cover that has a sealed valve cover gasket. Same with intakes; they have a gasket which makes them a sealed component. Parts that are exposed to air and humidity tend to rust, even with oil on them and I know some gun oils are better at preventing rust than others. So the same question remains.

Nevermind: answered above.

would like to see the results of some tests though.

19. ghr1142

ghr1142

May 26, 2011
    I'v been reading alot about useing Mobile 1 senthetic oil on Glocks ! My question is I cant find the Oil "DIP STICK" on any of them !! LOL.
    ghr1142 :dunno:

20. cranejc

cranejc

Aug 15, 2007
    The Tardis
    [​IMG]

HO HO! It's funny because guns no have dipsticks!