close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun dogs--what breed do you have???

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Dogbite, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Dogbite

Dogbite
    Expand Collapse
    DNT TREAD ON ME

I have been thinking about an all purpose gun dog and wondering what you guys might have--looking at bird dog/retriever with maybe a little watchdog attitude for around the house.Some breeds i have been researching are--german wirehaired pointer,chesapeke bay retriever,wirehaired pointing griffen.What do you have and does it do everything,or most things well???Thanks for all the replies.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. repete34

repete34
    Expand Collapse
    In God I trust

3. JDP

JDP
    Expand Collapse

If you want a single dog for all kinds of hunting you should go for a Lab. They generally don't do as well for upland hunting as some breeds like Springers but if you get one that is bred for upland they'll do just fine. Most upland breeds can't take the cold of duck hunting and most retrievers are too big and slow for upland. Look for one that's on the smaller side and get the best breeding you can afford. My current hunting dog is a Golden/Lab mix. She's super fast(and can keep it up for a long time) and has a great nose which are really the two things you need most. I hope this helps!

4. Esox357

Esox357
    Expand Collapse

Personal choice like anything, I prefer German Shorthair Pointers. Esox357

5. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

You just described my lab, Sadie. She has great instincts and required minimal training. She will go through brush and water to get birds for me without a second thought. She requires no special grooming or care. She is very friendly around people she knows, and while she has never bitten anyone she always alerts me to activity around the house (like the turd who tried to steal my truck a couple of months ago). Other breeds may be more exciting, but I don't think any are better for an all-around hunter/pet.

6. Toml

Toml
    Expand Collapse

My Llewellin Setter, Bob, (English setter out of a field dog line) was great on quail and grouse. He hunted at whatever pace I set, whether on foot or bicycle. Never liked to fetch. (Some do, some don't.) Easy dog to get along with...he didn't run off (after the lesson about chasing deer early on), was a faithful companion and a good watchdog until his death in March last year. If you looked where he pointed you would find wildlife. (He liked to stalk everything that moved, but was most intense on birds.)

Like with all highly-bred field dogs, you need to be careful about structural problems in the setter lines.

I like labs but they're not in the same category as griffons, setters, and pointers. I'd like to have one of those, but would get another English setter based on my experience.

NAVHDA (www.navhda.org) has lots of information about versatile hunting dogs.

7. minnshooter

minnshooter
    Expand Collapse

I have a black lab and a German Shorthair Pointer. I would never get another GSP- I am going lab all the way. Just my humble opinion.

8. D25

D25
    Expand Collapse
    The Quick

<--- Lab!

9. TJC

TJC
    Expand Collapse
    "No Compromise"
    Millennium Member

Drahthaars

10. TJC

TJC
    Expand Collapse
    "No Compromise"
    Millennium Member

Reba, the baby. Going to be 2 years old next month.

11. TJC

TJC
    Expand Collapse
    "No Compromise"
    Millennium Member

Last one, promise.

12. MrMunster

MrMunster
    Expand Collapse

I've got 2 labs and use them exclusively on upland game.

One is a flusher (brush buster) by nature, the other actually points.

13. Researcher

Researcher
    Expand Collapse

I've got a black lab but I wouldn't count on her for being much of a watchdog, that would involve getting off the couch. ;f Great all around dog though.

14. fungunnin

fungunnin
    Expand Collapse

German Short Hair Pointer. Hell of a good dog. Regardless of where he was he wanted to hunt. He loved the water and I saw him swim over a mile after a boat in November in the ocean of BC Canada.Huge heart and a great family dog. Super gental and very obidient. He did need to run daily... tons of energy.

15. 40 glock

40 glock
    Expand Collapse

Britney

16. DJS4GLCK

DJS4GLCK
    Expand Collapse

My English Setter is a fine birddog. 12 years old now so she's retired but has been loyal and good natured all these years. Any of the pooches the readers have spoken of would be great, but I'll vote for Setters anyday.

17. Dogbite

Dogbite
    Expand Collapse
    DNT TREAD ON ME

Thanks for all the info--alot of good ideas.

18. El Capitan

El Capitan
    Expand Collapse
    Kalibanned

<--- Lab! ;f

19. Craigster

Craigster
    Expand Collapse

Brittany X 2

20. Craigster

Craigster
    Expand Collapse

Gage is backing his mom who is on point under the brush in the bottom of the ditch